Neverending development diary

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-29 11:47:55

Snake man the AI now engages and the water shoreline is the same color. :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-29 17:37:53

But the AI engagement ranges cannot be correct, yeah they might engage... but is it that they fire full auto to 600m or something like this. Is this current setup worthwhile to use in the server already, or should it be tweaked more?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-29 17:59:13

I dont really understand waht ya tryn to say.
The ARMA settings for engagement ranges are fine.The distant rates of fire (default) could be turned up a little but thats it.Everything is OK.

The "extended engagement range" is achieved with the sensitivity parameters i posted.

Other than that whats in the cfg as of now will make a Massive difference to playability.So it would be great if ya put it on the server.

Thanx. :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-29 23:04:48

What I'm trying to say is that I just pulled the numbers out of my head. Yeah I used common sense for handguns (about 50m) and assault rifles (about 300m) but then special fire modes like single, burst and auto, I just used same values for burst and auto as I couldn't think thats the difference.

The values are longish now, I snooped some ESP stuff but they were awfully short distances (which we already used I think), so I just cranked them up to make sure we have tons of firefights. But what does this mean, AK47's fire from 600m now and miss 500m? hehe dunno.

I'll add the new config to server and into the release topic.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-02-10 06:59:24

Any news from the HC brothers regarding possible redo of Meekong?

Was the skyraider footmunch's work?And if so will this be finished as he hasnt been on the bisforums at all of late.

I downloaded the Robert hammer m16 pack the other day.I havn't had time to look at em but if their really good i,ll let you know

The m16a1 in vte is good to look at but the ironsight view needs a lttle more work.

He has also done an ak74/47 pak i believe so i'll check out that aswell if the m16pack is good.

That's unless ofcourse you already have someone doing the guns or you've already cheked em out.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-02-10 10:31:02

anzacsas wrote:Any news from the HC brothers regarding possible redo of Meekong?
No since I posted the quote.
Was the skyraider footmunch's work?
Hmm actually I'm not sure, it might be FW200 and various others back in the day, its the NAM Pack Air Module work.

In simple answer; no, its not footmunch's.

The new "hidden" WIP Skyraider is VTE own production.
I downloaded the Robert hammer m16 pack the other day.I havn't had time to look at em but if their really good i,ll let you know
I see you get boring as there is no updates, these kind of things like "the very nice M16 is not enough anymore, XYZ released new with 0.0001% more better model..." etc :)

Just chill, we have long way to go before we start changing perfectly good basic weapon which has nothing clearly wrong in it.
He has also done an ak74/47 pak i believe
Before we get like tanks and such working, I can live with the lower quality AK47 without problems.
That's unless ofcourse you already have someone doing the guns or you've already cheked em out.
No but read my points above. Also I of course have no objections if you work on getting permissions and new models for next update, no problem at all, its your time. However I am not going to put any time or effort to these mentioned items before the "real problems" have been fixed. So go ahead and prepare me "plug and play" rar package of the new weapons you want to get added ;)

PMC since 1984

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-02-19 09:35:40

Have you done anything about the grass grids?
They look horrible when they look like a criss cross of grass squares from above.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-03-20 00:07:26

I noticed this on the new ArmA v1.11 beta patch changelog:
5214 - Fixed: Possible crash when moving fast with high visibility set (like in airplane).
Could this be the fix for the "VTE flying jets CTD" bug?

Full list in BIS Wiki

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-03-20 10:09:09

Just finished reading that myself and thought the same thing.

Fingers crossed.

Aussie Dave
Recruit

Post by Aussie Dave » 2008-03-21 00:49:57

Snake Man wrote:I noticed this on the new ArmA v1.11 beta patch changelog:
5214 - Fixed: Possible crash when moving fast with high visibility set (like in airplane).
Could this be the fix for the "VTE flying jets CTD" bug?

Full list in BIS Wiki

updated server to 1.11 if you want to test it.
GamingSA, located in the ADNAP datacentre in the heart of Adelaide with fibre optic high speed veins branching out to provide high-speed access for all.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-03-30 06:54:37

Hey all,

Arma 1.1 unfortunately doent fix the fast aircrat big veiwdistance CTD.

There is a VTE fan making an island that will hopefully be released soon.

I was reading in the BI Forums Arma Editing/ visitor3 section that he had some issues with CTD's with some veiwdistances.

With some community feedback and some good problem solving techniques he/they have found it was caused by the sat/map image.

Something about too many pixels or something.

He ran the island without the satmap and didnt get any CTDs.

Just thought i should mention this.If it's possible to run this test it would be worth a try i reckon.

Also,

I have modified the napalm script to get the naplam effects in MP .I just changed the createvehiclelocal command to createvehicle .I also made it a little reder in colour.Have you by chance had the time to region tool ia drang and whack say 100,000 single peice bushes/plants and a runway in it have ya? :wink:

P.S Those fixed proxies wouldnt go astray at the moment. :wink:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-03-30 08:31:13

anzacsas wrote:I was reading in the BI Forums Arma Editing/ visitor3 section that he had some issues with CTD's with some veiwdistances.
You have a link to the topic?
Just thought i should mention this.If it's possible to run this test it would be worth a try i reckon.
4WVR terrains (of which all VTE terrains are) dont have satellite map/texture.
I have modified the napalm script to get the naplam effects in MP .I just changed the createvehiclelocal command to createvehicle
Thats it, no other changes?
Have you by chance had the time to region tool ia drang and whack say 100,000 single peice bushes/plants and a runway in it have ya?
No, was that on the TODO list as I dont recall such mentioning?
Those fixed proxies wouldnt go astray at the moment.
Hmm I faintly recall fixing the huey, but thats it. Its just tweaking the proxy to right position, doesn't require any skills, just bit of time. Anyone care to help?

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-03-31 18:13:14

Heya's ,

I have downloaded the Latest ACE_Everon .
This island used to CTD the same as the nam islands.The island has now a Sat/map incorporated into it.
And i am very happy to say i didnt get any CTD'S after about 30mins of flying.This apparently was a WRPTool island.I had a look at the WRP file and noticed that it is of 8WVR Format now.

Is it possible to do a format change and satmap's for 1 of the nam islands to test it?

Its also using more than 1 texture now, though unfortunatley still with what looks like the 50x50m texture tiles.

Also, what tools do i need to mess around with proxies?

Regading the objects in ia drang-

We were talking about it awhile ago ingame.I could do it but the objects i put into any of these arma islands with WRPTool all float 100m above the ground whether i us the lock to ground function.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-03-31 19:08:39

anzacsas wrote:Is it possible to do a format change and satmap's for 1 of the nam islands to test it?
"Yes". If you want to have more information, please open new topic for the ArmA Editing area.
Also, what tools do i need to mess around with proxies?
O2 PE.
objects i put into any of these arma islands with WRPTool all float 100m above the ground
Use the ODOL format VTE objects from OFP version when editing WRP's.

PMC since 1984

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-04-02 22:03:11

I understand that you guys have a lot to do. God knows making a mod like this is no small undertaking.

I have a few questions.

Do you plan to fix the floating trees and bushes on the maps?

Do you plan to add original textures to maps, beaches, LZs etc?
Will you review the terrible grass and Elephant grass models? ArmA has jumped ahead in graphics terms but VTE still uses 2D grass models.

At what stage are the textures for the models? I see that the Air Cav officer is done but not the rest of the Air Cav units or Army guys etc.

Do you plan to introduce the CoC mine pack to ArmA? Or at least add the already made Claymores from

Speaking of other people's addons. Have you been scanning the community for suitible addons? Can you give some idea of what you're going to add to the mod?

Will you be giving us a Jeep any time soon?

How many guys have you got working on this? Do you need to recruit?

Finally when do we get the next update? :wink:
It's ok, There's enough to work with right now. That last one was just a mischievious nag.

Cheers for your time.

Chris.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-02 23:24:24

This is development diary, not an "whats the update for VTE??" topic. But for the last time I'll answer some questions in offtopic style.
The-Architect wrote:Do you plan to fix the floating trees and bushes on the maps?
I know you're referfing to the 50m x 50m forest objects, and I have tried but so far I have not found a way to fix them besides placing them on more level ground (which is not really a fix or option).
Do you plan to add original textures to maps, beaches, LZs etc?
At this moment (and I emphasize that), no. Satellite map stuff is way fucked up in my opinion at this time, maybe I'll convert my thinking into it later and I DO plan to try out one terrain with it. But the small tests I've done myself and what I can see in BIS terrains, the technical texture method in it is just way too demanding in many ways.

At this time, I'm strong believer that the 4WVR one texture system is very good compromise.
Will you review the terrible grass and Elephant grass models?
Hmm cautious yes, as its not been even discussed (besides you asking it as far as I recall). But yes they dont look too sexy so it would be very nice to get them upgraded.
At what stage are the textures for the models?
At the alpha 11-23-07 stage.
Do you plan to introduce the CoC mine pack to ArmA?
No. I'm wishing that Dinger would do new mines, but perhaps hes not interested or someone else beats him to it...
Or at least add the already made Claymores from
... see what I mean. I have not checked these new claymores btw.
Have you been scanning the community for suitible addons?
ArmA community as in new content? ... No, I have not scanned it thinking about what we could add to VTE.
Can you give some idea of what you're going to add to the mod?
Well, we have the basic backbone in now, I have no items in mind what we would like to add, but most likely there will be some additions.
Will you be giving us a Jeep any time soon?
Someone sent me a Jeep 3ds model but I have not checked it or do I have any other addons/models in mind right now.
Do you need to recruit?
We have had so many people come with big promises only to fail us miserably. I have long history in addon making and so far I know only handful of real hardcore guys, those guys might or might not help us in the long run so I'm keeping the hope up.

As for recruiting just in as "WE NEED MODELERS TEXTURERS <blabla>..." heh I tried that as the other guys pressured me to do so, in a nutshell the effort was pretty wasted time (at least in the end result). Of course I still have the topic open for needing help, but I have lost all hope anyone willing to help at this point.
Finally when do we get the next update?
When I get around to do enough fixes so it will justify another update.

PMC since 1984

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-04-06 12:33:27

I got another question.

Do you guys plan on ceveloping the units so that setface works on them?
If not can you tell me why it doesn't work and/or let me see if I can get it to work myself.

Right now, having characters in cutscenes is impossible unless I make a mission about a squad of identical twin brothers.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-06 13:46:15

Yes I think this is on the new units with the NAM helmets, they all have the same face texture. Its a bug which will be fixed.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-26 13:48:40

To place some plant objects in ia drang ,nam12 and nam25 k islands would be very nice for they seem a little baron.
Yeah they are just basic ports now, I just put the normal forest block into NAM 25km and the "VTE" bushes style into NAM 12km. I'm willing to modify them, no problems.
i would be helping with this but i cannot get the objects i place with WRPTool to align to ground.
You need to use the ODOL format VTE_objects. Just take the OFP VTE v0.4 they should be ODOL if I'm correct.

If you cant make it work, please PM me or post into the WrpTool forum area and I'll help you more.
The carrier you were talking about the other day,was it playable ingame and do you know if the "Land with Line Break" action comes up when you are within range of the ship?
Yes. No I dont know. So what I mean is yes its playable ingame, its direct port from OFP with merged textures by me, scripts have been mostly removed because there were all kinds of scripts used, so most likely some line break is not working, should be easy to fix.
What's the status on unit not being able to have more than the default face?
No news on that. I have Fixing custom soldier static (QG) face topic open for that, no replies :(

Perhaps you could pimp this QG face topic for BIS forums and ask the same question there?

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-27 13:39:43

To recap the jungle rain/ocean sounds:

Code: Select all

JungleOcean1 = standard small waves, short 0:05s.
JungleOcean2 = bird sounds? no waves?, long 0:31s.
JungleOcean3 = insects, waves/stream, long 0:28s.

JungleRain1 = sharp heavy rain, electric raindrops, short 0:04s.
JungleRain2 = smoother heavy rain, raindrops on ground, short 0:09s.
JungleRain3 = soothing slow rain, big raindrops on leafs, short 0:07s.
JungleRain4 = massive thunder sound, long 1:30s (NO RAINDROPS sounds).
Now I finally fixed the rain environmental sounds. Also I changed few of the default environmental jungle sounds, they are bit faint now but still audible.

Here is the config for the rain/sea.

class CfgEnvSounds
{
	class Rain
	{
		name = "NAM rain";
		sound[] = {"\VTE_sounds\Environment\JungleRain2.wss",db-15,1};//0.002
		volume = "rain";
	};

class Sea
	{
		name = "NAM sea";
		sound[] = {"\VTE_sounds\Environment\JungleOcean3.wss",db-15,1};//0.0008
		volume = "sea";
	};
Then there are the others which I did not change, but they include the mysterious volume level setting which I have no clue how it works.

class Meadows
	{
		name = "NAM meadows";
		sound[] = {"\VTE_sounds\Environment\JungleAmbience2.wss",0.006,1};//0.0006
		volume = "meadow*(1-rain)*(1-night)";
	};
meadow * (1 - rain) * (1 - night) eh? Anybody have any ideas?

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-04-29 04:43:52

Heya Dudes,

In regards to environment sounds ,

I am pretty sure that there is some definitions in either the saraor desert Pbo for you to have a look at.Though it still is very unclear to me.

I sent you some environment sounds and the levels for them a lilttle while ago.All new sounds .I will have to look to see if i have the volume settings somewhere still.I was sure they were goimg to be in an update so i just patched up when the next fix was released and i may have lost the settings.:(

I still have the sounds but the settings took me 2 days of fiddling to get right.

Re- WRPTOOL .

I am gonna have another go at trying to modify VTE_RIJ ,i'll PM you to let you know how i went .Its driving me crazy not being able to mod islands.:)
Have a dig around snake cos i did send them to ya and it will be a prick to have to do again.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-29 23:25:35

anzacsas wrote:I sent you some environment sounds and the levels for them a lilttle while ago.All new sounds . I was sure they were goimg to be in an update so i just patched up when the next fix was released and i may have lost the settings.
Thats why we need to get you Anzac boys into the SVN, nothing is lost then, you are not tied up to if the received takes your sent files or not. Everything is saved the moment you click commit.

Anyways.

Todays editing brought some laughter in PMC sekret codelabs, I was testing some model.cfg changes and arma.RPT said this:

Bone 'head' not found in vte_chara\vte_aircav.p3d
Its good to know those AirCav boys aren't boneheads :lol:

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-04-30 08:21:02

lol
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-02 10:36:39

PMC since 1984

Frantz
Recruit

Post by Frantz » 2008-05-02 14:37:03

YEAH that picture rocks !

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-05-06 20:57:25

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-09 04:30:53

Sorry that there has not been too many updates here lately, but before I was fixing stuff alone I tend to boast the progress here. Now however I tend to keep the dev talk on the IRC channel (#VTE on quakenet, no channel key so anyone can join) so this topic is neglected a bit.

What we have done now is make heavy use of the SVN repository, all the latest edits go there. It would be great if more people would be here to help, the SVN is great way for everyone to pool the edits together and get the "latest VTE" with click of a button.

Lately we got new textures for the M48 tank, new napalm, new VC models, optimized weapons, new updated Skaven weapons, new Ia Drang undergrowth... etc. I cant remember all, would have to check SVN log :)

I'll try to keep this topic more updated from now on.

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-05-09 05:07:13

fixed wounded textures on soldiers.. atleast some of them, aircav, marines, SF and VC.. not Army nor NVA.. however will fix that aswell in the near future.

VC needs never lods and what Aircav soldiers, pilots and such need is more detailed models. But I need references, so if anyone can dig up information how did they look and such on nice images it would be great.

Otherwise i guess have to insert we were soldiers dvd and try copy that.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-16 09:39:52

As you might have read my internet connection topic, I'm now cutoff from the SVN. I decided with granQ that I'm concentrating my efforts now to the VTE_objects only so there is no conflicts with SVN repository when I finally commit my edits.

Yesterday I went through bunch of objects, mostly buildings as the vegetation is already optimized (not texture merged yet). Today I'll continue and hopefully have good list of optimized house objects by tomorrow.

Other than that, there is one CTD issue left on the SVN version, I havent debugged it yet but will get to this issue after the optimization for objects is done.

Our goal is to release next version when these last few fixes has been done. Hopefully by the time I'm done with the objects, granQ has wrapped up his work also. We'll see how it turns out.

If anyone (and I mean ANYONE) has any edits, tweaks, fixes or changes that they have done privately, please send them to us so we can add them into the next official release. If you have files to include, rar them up and email to me (my email should be on my profile), if you have just data as few numbers etc, post them here or the VTE suggestions topic.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-24 09:35:27

I tracked down the SVN repository CTD issue which made me so happy, also I slowly started to look into merging at least some of the UH1 Huey's textures, I did the doorguns now which dropped a lot of sections. We'll see if I can do any more to it (without loosing the texture resolution).

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-05-26 22:20:48

Merged some textures on the ch34, its the finest chopper we got I personaly think.

Fixed the high sound over water, removed gunners from the hueys that didn't have them.

(Note for snakeman, define db-15 means very loud but very short distance, you could say, as loud as db15 but "local", used mostly for adding a "loud" sound of reloading a weapon without making it sound 400 meters)

and last i can't stress how important new kickass models would mean for us..
So everyone that reads, keep learning, keep improving.. if you think you can fix model, let us know by joning the chat and we get you up and working.. its just too much stuff for a few people.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-30 09:13:57

I havent done actual VTE work for couple of days, but I used the CAT Afghanistan as guinea pig to learn about ShadowVolumes. I want to have good knowledge about shadows before I start to implement them into the 400+ models of what we have in VTE.

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-06-01 12:12:27

I have been experimenting with Adding burst classes to the mounted MG's with some really nice results.Also i have been playing with some new audio engineering software i came across and have beeen able to get a couple of sounds from a couple of movies.

To get used to the new software i pulled the sound from Full Metal Jacket.I edited some stuff and found that i could use some of the M60 burst's from the movie ingame with a fair bit of editing.I will re-install fraps and try to record a demo for you's guy's to listen to.

I also still have alot of sounds that i am using for my own use that i would be happy to apply to VTE.I have a couple of other small edits that i can offer aswell that i honestly can't think of atm.
I am still having troubel's with floating object's in WRPTool that i would like to speak to snakeman about and hopefully i can edit some of the islands.

Thanx.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-06-01 16:15:32

nice to hear ya workin on it :)
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-06-02 09:44:50

granQ, I sent you a PM about the details for latest SVN commit from me.

And for everyone else, here is what I did:

O2 view of the model

Thats the Agamoths VC model with my lower resolution LODs. Right now it comes nicely down to a 136 points which is very good for performance.

And here is the ingame results (with LOW settings).

The performance test went very nicely, even there was close to 140 units on map/screens, there was no CPU slowdowns (or is it GPU slowdowns). I'm very very happy with the results now, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is VTE to have high performance models.

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-06-02 14:03:31

excuse my noobism but what are lods exactly exept "a thing that slow down your computer" ?

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-06-02 14:28:33

Those hats, whilst popular in Vietnam were not generally worn by VC in combat. They are the wrong shape.
It was not unknown to see them on the enemy but more common hats were the tan and dark hats more akin to a fisherman's hat.

Of course, not all VC wore hats or even uniforms.
http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g& ... ng+uniform

Check this thread for more pics.
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... hp?t=59512

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-06-02 18:01:44

There is now Agamoths new AirCav soldier models going to the SVN repository. They have same 100 poly LODs as the VC units, so they run smooth.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-06-04 12:36:08

Yesterday I receveid the full SVN repository on rar, so now I'm compiling up the next release.

Last night I was battling with the problem of soldier models as they just blew up or went into the "O2 Stance" mode ingame. It was simply one missing class default{} in the models.cfg file, oh man I had to debug tons to figure that out.

Right now the current SVN version with all the latest edits work ok ingame for me, even the previously crashing stresstest 2 mission works okay. I feel very good with VTE right now, should not take too long for next release. Lets keep our fingers crossed :)

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-06-06 10:46:49

Here is a first new SEAL unit, its quality is not anything great but at least it reminds a SEAL instead of the grey SF guy :)

SEAL, bandanna, woodland UDT jacket (image sideways hehe), tigerstripe pants, gear.

I created the lower res LODs with the same method as for the VC units in Modo 302, its still bit WIP as I discovered one bug after taking the screenshots. Here is the stress test I made with several SEAL models in the screen running aroung. Works absolutely flawlessly.

Stresstest

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”