Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

derStef
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Taiwan Terrain bug hunting

Post by derStef » 2009-05-06 15:27:24

Hey lads,

i just opened that topic, for the guys who help us to find the existing Tile and object issues.
here they can get together and communicate, who takes which part of the map.

3-4 guys are up and flying around to find every suspect there.

I'll post more later!

happy bug hunting!

may the force be with us.

SnakeMan, please tell us what you think is the best way to note the observations and how we should check for them.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Taiwan Terrain bug hunting

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-06 15:41:28

You should search for some old ODS bug reporting topics and see how we handled stuff there.

I'll try to look up if I had any documents in my dir about bug reporting.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-06 19:22:46

Boys from Freefalcon: Check Stef's thread over there, because I uploaded 12 terribly boring Tile-test TE's there..
Thanks, gentlemen!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mhibk1g4yyz

Warmbrak

Post by Warmbrak » 2009-05-07 03:34:01

Thanks for the TE's Tom, I will download and have a look tonight. I found it difficult to create the TE's in FF5. As soon as I started moving waypoints around the whole flightplan would go invisible. I also could not select the F-16 CJ to fly (Is it part of the theater?). It would save the TE, but when loading the flight just would not be there. Cannot remember which one I got working in the end though.

Will also look at the ODS reporting, and will read up on how MARK works for coordinates.

As mentioned in the other thread Shantou Northeast Airbase is suffering from aprons & taxiways not being flat on the same elevation. Doing a specific post on Sector 3 - Shantou Southwest.

Last edited by Warmbrak on 2009-05-07 15:34:13, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-07 12:59:03

Hello, Warmbreak!
To make flights appear permanent in TE's, you will need to make two flights, one (the 1st) will disappear, the 2nd will remain.
A strange bug in FF5. I created a folder for Stef yesterday, with screens including markpoints on the appropriate locations.
I experienced the same problems you described at Shantu Northeast and Ta Shan Ting.
Greets, Tom

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-05-07 13:24:27

hmm.. i knew you guys want to help but..

if you don't mind, i'd suggest you try using TerrainView tool to check tile/coastline/road.

Warmbrak

Post by Warmbrak » 2009-05-07 14:52:34

Hi ccc. From what I understand is that the airbases and objects are a priority at the moment. I am very new to the theater stuff, and am not familiar with TerrainView - will have to read up on it first. I did grab 'n version (where is it hosted officially) from somewhere, opened up a few things but I don't have time now to figure it out now. Maybe derStef can throw in a quick tut on how to use it? :wink:

Warmbrak

Post by Warmbrak » 2009-05-07 15:11:51

Sector 3 - Southwest of Shantou

1.) Trees with nothing around them
There is probably nothing wrong here - it just looks suspicious
Lat N 36" 50.50'
Long E 125" 1.22'

2.) Shantou Factory
Factory is located in the bay, thus in water. There is a wayward land tile just adjacent to it (see screenshots)
Lat N 36" 47.14'
Long E 124" 56.84'

3.) Chaoyang Factory
Buildings are floating above the ground
Lat N 36" 43.47'
Long E 124" 49.29'

4.) Chaoyang Refinery
Buildings are floating above the ground
Lat N 36" 41.80'
Long E 124" 52.03'

5.) Tsunami wave @ Guangao
DEM data not at sealevel, creating a hill/wave in the sea.
Lat N 36" 39.11'
Long E 125" 3.44'

6.) Tsunami wave, another one
DEM data not at sealevel, creating a hill/wave in the sea.
Lat N 36" 36.29'
Long E 124" 53.43'

7.) Jinghai Buildings & Bridge
Floating above the ground
Lat N 36" 27.66'
Long E 124" 43.67'

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-07 17:04:43

ccc wrote: if you don't mind, i'd suggest you try using TerrainView tool to check tile/coastline/road.
true, ccc, but i think we can really be glad that these guys want to help us at all!

you know, they have no dev or editing experience, so I'm glad that they help us i any way.

I'm also checking it with TerrainView, they shouldn't be overcharged on their very first beginning of helping. they also have to become used with all that stuff.

and guys, many many thanks again for the support! keep it up!

Rock on!

cheers

Stef

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-07 17:46:31

The lat/lon coordinates aren't that useful to me. Please use

Code: Select all

Press CTRL+Z release and press L.
To capture the coordinates into the screen and provide those with the bug report.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-08 16:14:00

Snake man,

if you could use latitude and longitude coordiantes as an addition, close-up screens with markpoints engaged might be
a good way to include these. If they are obsolete, I will quit integrating markpoint values into my screens and focus on the values you mentioned.
I have already swept a big area taking screens resulting in about 600 MB of bmp files (considerably smaller packages in RAR format). Unfortunately, I focussed on markpoints to document the tile's position..until now.

Regards, Tom

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-08 17:16:22

Well thats our old known format of reporting a bug location from Falcon 4 world. I have no clue how to use the lat/lon values, at least they wont work in Tacedit/Terrainview as they do the NON-spherical conversion, I have no idea what conversion F4 engine(s) does etc.. its a big mess.

X,Y coords are constant.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-05-08 17:49:21

Snake Man wrote:Well thats our old known format of reporting a bug location from Falcon 4 world. I have no clue how to use the lat/lon values, at least they wont work in Tacedit/Terrainview as they do the NON-spherical conversion, I have no idea what conversion F4 engine(s) does etc.. its a big mess.

X,Y coords are constant.
I vote for x,y coordinates also because TacEdit and TerrainView use them (not Lat, Long).
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2009-05-08 17:59:38

Sherlock wrote:
Snake Man wrote:Well thats our old known format of reporting a bug location from Falcon 4 world. I have no clue how to use the lat/lon values, at least they wont work in Tacedit/Terrainview as they do the NON-spherical conversion, I have no idea what conversion F4 engine(s) does etc.. its a big mess.

X,Y coords are constant.
I vote for x,y coordinates also because TacEdit and TerrainView use them (not Lat, Long).

second that vote, makes it a LOT easier to use the tools.

demer

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-08 18:12:43

Copy that..
On my 3rd testflight this evening I used the X Y Z coordinates Snake Man recommended. I added markpoint shots, but all relevant misplaced tiles have the new coordinates. I will refly my first missions to add the new values.
If that is requested, I can post a link to my shots here too, instead of sending them to derStef exclusively.
It will take a fiew days to get all the necessary photos, but I aim to work on it continiously.
Fortunately, we are at least 4 guys working on this documentation.

I will add a screenshot of the flightplan/briefing UI to give a better understanding of the routes I flew.

I aim to have the main shots at Tuesday.

Tom

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-08 18:58:44

Tom wrote:Copy that..
On my 3rd testflight this evening I used the X Y Z coordinates Snake Man recommended. I added markpoint shots, but all relevant misplaced tiles have the new coordinates. I will refly my first missions to add the new values.
If that is requested, I can post a link to my shots here too, instead of sending them to derStef exclusively.

excellent buddy, and Yeah i made that topic here to post that stuff here, i don't need it exclusively. we are gathering our findings for SnakeMan, he is THE MAN!

hey to all, again many thanks for your support, we are on the right track!

cheeers

Stef

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-09 22:40:04

Hello,
I will upload my results from this week soon.
I collected a huge number of "watertile"- screenshots with coordinates in addition to the base- and object views. Most object-shots are at the costal areas.
It would possibly make sense to only focus on the most critical shots "jumping in the face", there are simply too many shots.
I tried to be radical/searchingly.
All pictures are converted to JPEG and I splitted them, regarding different flight patterns.
In addition, i added a small text to each folder supported by a screenshot of the UI's flight route for each mission.
I hope, the screens can be useful. The quality is certainly not the same as the graphical appearance in the simulation, but the coordinates are clearly visible as far as I have checked them..

Regards, Tom
P.S.: My first attempts, room for improvement.
No.1:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d5ljiv0tmil

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-05-09 22:59:24

Tom wrote:Hello,
I will upload my results from this week soon.
I collected a huge number of "watertile"- screenshots with coordinates in addition to the base- and object views. Most object-shots are at the costal areas.
It would possibly make sense to only focus on the most critical shots "jumping in the face", there are simply too many shots.
I tried to be radical/searchingly.
All pictures are converted to JPEG and I splitted them, regarding different flight patterns.
In addition, i added a small text to each folder supported by a screenshot of the UI's flight route for each mission.
I hope, the screens can be useful. The quality is certainly not the same as the graphical appearance in the simulation, but the coordinates are clearly visible as far as I have checked them..

Regards, Tom
P.S.: My first attempts, room for improvement.
No.1:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jmlmjgmdyyj
Tom,
although screenshots are a nice to have, they aren't absolutely mandatory. I would suggest only collect screenshots when the error is difficult to explain in text without a picture. Otherwise, the location in the map (x,y coords) and short explaination of what the error is is usually sufficient. Especially if you have large group of errors of all the same type. Cheers!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-09 23:22:39

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-09 23:28:10

Oh, sorry, Sherlock, I saw your post after my last reply...

However, I am VERY new to these actions and I hope someone can make some kind of usage of my shots (it was the only way I knew to collect such a big number of items, Stef adviced us to search for errors and to mark our findings with X Y Z coordinates included, if I got him right.)..

It took me several evenings to collect the data..

Best Regards, Tom

(Edit:) So next time I could make a short statement (water tiles issue/objects+ general location e.g.) and only collect coordinates..?

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-05-09 23:48:11

Tom wrote:Oh, sorry, Sherlock, I saw your post after my last reply...

However, I am VERY new to these actions and I hope someone can make some kind of usage of my shots (it was the only way I knew to collect such a big number of items, Stef adviced us to search for errors and to mark our findings with X Y Z coordinates included, if I got him right.)..

It took me several evenings to collect the data..

Best Regards, Tom

(Edit:) So next time I could make a short statement (water tiles issue/objects+ general location e.g.) and only collect coordinates..?
I'm not saying you can't collect the screenshots, only saying that it is a big task to collect so many screenshots and post them for viewing here at PMC. I'm just trying to make it easier on you, that's all! :)

When SM (or others) are fixing the bugs you identify it is usually sufficient to have the location (x,y coordinates) and what the nature of the error/bug is in a short description like "ocean area needs leveling to 0 feet elevation". Be specific about what the error is though. Giving the x,y coordinates will give the exact location of where the error is as long as you have flown directly over the point where the error is in the terrain (but close is usually good enough too).

Hope this helps!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-09 23:57:28

That surely helps, thank you, Sherlock!
Greets from Münster, Germ., Tom

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-10 09:04:06

Yes I agree with Sherlock; if error is difficult to explain, take a screenshot. If you can say that "coast line on average from east to north east is with broken tiles." then that is enough, you don't need 27 screenshots to show various locations of the E-NE coastline.

Also when you report a bug, its two folded process. First you report it, then you should observe me to add it into the Taiwan Theater v0.4 bug reports first post. I honestly will confess that if there are several topics across a <name> Theater forum area with bug report posts, I will definitely forget them if they are not promptly added into the official bug report list.

So as you are reporting bugs now in this terrain bugs topic, we need to make sure each and every one of those gets into the final bugs list.

When I start to fix bugs for any theater, what do I do? I open the <name> theater bugs list text file and start to read what I need to fix. If a bug is not listed there, it will definitely not be worked on.

So after submitting this post, I'll re-read the topic and add stuff into the taiwan bugs list, please read the v0.4 bug reports topic and make sure all your hard worked bug reporting material has reached its destination.

PMC since 1984

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-10 15:09:49

Thank you, Snake Man!

I think if I try to find further issues, I will make a short textual statement and add pictures only to a very limited extent. I hope the texts added to each file I uploaded can be at least slightly helpful.
That first round (see the posted links, JPEG pictures) included way to many of those pictures. Fortunately, some of them "jump in the face", for example at 30 to 60 coordinates in the observed region between the southwest coastline of China and the coastal area south of Fuzhou there are huge "big-wave" water tiles that could be levelled to 0 elevation.
I try to be more precise when I make further attempts to find bugs.

Regards, Tom

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-11 09:50:07

masterchiefs, correct me if I'm wrong:

the bug list should look someting like that:

for objects (buildings):
X/Y coordinate, name of object, the problem, maybe a suggestion/solution.

for terrain tiles & evelation problems:
X/Y coordinate, the problem, suggestion/solution.

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-11 19:38:57

To be honest, I think my downloadfiles contain enough information to use them..(4 Texts..)
I didn't name the objects, e.g., but when scrolling down the folders the viewer might notice that I collected a big number of misplaced/floating objects, both at the coast and some miles inland, not only water tiles. I made notes on 5 airbases.
I will add a short summary of my findings in the "Taiwan Theatre v0.4 bug reports" thread.
I'd say 90% of my findings are not listed..and I admit, this is my fault, because I should have pointed those things more clear.

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-22 21:26:57

I completed another test flight session, my results with coordiantes and explanations are posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21368&p=181750#p181750

Carry on guys, regarding to Stef's map we covered almost the complete parts 3 and 2..No 1's not that much extra work dudes!..Regards, T.

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2009-05-22 21:45:32

Tom wrote:To be honest, I think my downloadfiles contain enough information to use them..(4 Texts..)
I didn't name the objects, e.g., but when scrolling down the folders the viewer might notice that I collected a big number of misplaced/floating objects, both at the coast and some miles inland, not only water tiles. I made notes on 5 airbases.
I will add a short summary of my findings in the "Taiwan Theatre v0.4 bug reports" thread.
I'd say 90% of my findings are not listed..and I admit, this is my fault, because I should have pointed those things more clear.

Tom,
Please continue to post your findings, but the coastal elevations are methodically being fixed at the moment, Image

As well as the airbase tiles, this only speaks to the TERRAIN files I have nothing to do with Object placement, we have a list we are working on at the moment, when I come across a Factory\Airbase\obj.... that Is floating I have placed the applicable tiles there so that the Obj. Meister's can do what they need to do!!!
Please Carry On as your input is VERY valuable at least to me!!!!

Thanx!!!
demer

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-22 22:08:29

Just have a look at the other thread (Taiwan theatre v0.4 bug reports), Demer...! I will re-check my dats (coordinates)tomorrow, just in case, and I truly hope the reports help! Found around 23 issues today, all listed in the above mentioned thread..It's time that the other working fellows join in..Posted some kind advice at FF, too. According to my estimations there is not much work left (sector 1 has to be covered, with my TE's a simple thing..). Good job, Demer..! We will get it, I just don't wanna fly at the coast again, that short route (part No 3) took me 5 evenings. Hope my first posted files can help, added also a summary on those first session in the "Taiwan theatre v0.4 bug reports" -thread, 3 posts above today's posts..
Regards, Tom

PS: I think you are working hard, good Demer! Looks cool! I think Stef should motivate the other lads to help us..
I wanted to fly one more route on Sunday, now I'll have my weekend...
Take Care, man!

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-26 16:07:02

Guys you are doing a wonderful job there!

keep on it and thanks for getting this baby forward!

deep respect!

cheers
Stef

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-26 17:32:37

Yes we here at PMC appreciate all the hard work you testers are doing flying around, observing and documenting the findings. Even though I don't personally pad everyone on the back after each post, rest assured that all the feedback is appreciated and will be stored in the forums for safe keeping until fixing commences.

I guess this is just to reassure the testers and universal "pad to the back" post :D

PMC since 1984

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-27 09:44:36

something like that SnakeMan. :)

Demer did wonderful job on the terrain itself, now i would add these noted, missing ground objects, but I'm not 100% sure how to do that..
should i use Tacedit? should i add them into a TE or a campaign?
please let me know how to do, and i'll be up for that.

cheers
Stef

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-27 11:37:07

It's already been explained in the working with tools on a project topic. If there was something you didn't understand, ask and I'll try to clear it up.

PMC since 1984

Tom
Recruit

Post by Tom » 2009-05-28 02:26:06

Hello, gents, all my latest findings are and will be posted here, in the "Taiwan theatre v0.4 bug reports thread".

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21368&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

...Just to save forum space + search-workload for the pros here...

Thank you, Tom

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2010-05-07 09:34:39

Gentlemen, I have assembled a further Taiwan test beta install (v0.3) for FF5.3.

if somebody is interested to help and to test it, contact me.

regards

Stef

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2010-08-10 16:27:24

Snake Man and me in an MP sightseeing flight over Taiwan.....cheeers :)
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87 ... 585bcd.jpg
Last edited by Snake Man on 2010-08-10 16:37:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please dont hotlink very large (file size) images. 100kb per image is ok, 300kb is not.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-10 16:38:37

Wow cool, screenshot of one of my first "new era" multiplayer sessions, thanks :)

BTW come to IRC for a chat.

PMC since 1984

Doberman
Editing Interests: Texturing

Post by Doberman » 2010-10-11 18:51:31

Last edited by Snake Man on 2010-10-11 19:16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please dont hotlink very large (file size) images. 100kb per image is ok, 300kb is not.