Derstef's Taiwan Campaign AAR #1

Taiwan theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

Derstef's Taiwan Campaign AAR #1

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:06:58

The following is an AAR for Derstef's Taiwain Theater, mod 0.4 available from PMC Tactical.

Settings are: Challenge- Cadet; Air- Ace; ADA- Ace; force sliders ALL FURTHEST RIGHT (as per Derstef's recommendation. I thought I'd be a stud and didn't do this initially and it was ugly.)

Road to war:

9/11/01: Terrorists fly two airliners into the World Trade Centers in the US, and another airliner into the Pentagon. A fourth hijacked airliner is forced to crash by the passengers.

10/01: The US President declares a 'War on Terror'.

US Forces invade Afghanistan

US Forces invade Iraq

6/15/06: Chinese officials and agents meet to discuss a plot to retake Taiwan. Operation "Raging Dragon" would use carefully timed terrorist attacks to stir domestic instability in the US. During the confusion, Chinese forces would mobilize as a defensive measure. Careful plans are drawn up to illustrate how the US financial markets could be sabotaged from within, using skillful economic tactics. Chinese investors, working for the government, begin acquiring large blocks of US companies.

9/21/08: Several large US companies declare financial disaster. The US economy is in turmoil. US armed forces are stretched as thin as ever.

9/25/08: The President of Iran visits the US for a meeting at the United Nations. Protests erupt around the US.

9/27/08: During a meeting with diplomats at an upscale Washington DC restaurant, a terrorist group calling itself "The People's Democratic Peace Front" assasinates the Iranian President, along with several other heads of state in a car bomb attack.

9/28/08: Riots erupt around the Middle East. The US financial markets spiral out of control, falling 1000 points in a single day.

9/29/08: Chinese officials hold a secret meeting. They discuss the status of Operation "Raging Dragon", an amphibious assault designed to capture Taiwan.

9/30/08: In retaliation for the Iranian President's assasination, a Middle Eastern terrorist group explodes a car bomb outside of a US presidental candidate's rally, killing 50 civilians. The US financial market plumets another 1500 points. Worldwide US forces are put on high alert.

10/01/08: Chinese officials begin mobilization of their armed forces, "in response to the US increase in alert levels."

10/02/08: Riots erupt in several US cities in response to the collapsing US stock markets. US troop recalls are expedited.

10/10/08: The US government is in turmoil. The US market continues to fall, sparking widespread rioting and violence.

10/11/08: At a secret high-level meeting, Chinese officials decide to begin Operation "Raging Dragon" at 0900, 15 October. Mobilization efforts are increased, "as a precaution."

10/15/08: Operation Raging Dragon begins. Chinese forces invade Taiwan. A US carrier group deployed in the area rushes to Taiwan's defense. All Chinese forces within 100 nautical miles of Taiwan are declared hostile. Japanese forces declare all Chinese vessels, aircraft and troops within 60 nautical miles of Taiwan hostile. Taiwanese army and air forces struggle to hold off the onslaught until US and Japanese reinforcements arrive.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:43:41

Day 1.

Hsinchu AB, Taiwan. 41st Squadron.
Tasking is a 4xMirage 2000-5F DCA 100nm south of Taipei.
Loadout is 4xMica EM, 2xR550 Magic II, 2x1300L droptanks.

T/O: 0942

The weather is inclement with thunderstorms and rain. Ceiling is at about 18,000.
Flight to onstation area, as well as patrol, is uneventful. Several flights are heard on range frequency engaging enemy aircraft, however none penetrate my patrol area.
During RTB we intercept a flight of J-11s. I order the flight weapons free and we engage. I shoot one Mica for no hit. The rest of the flight is actively engaging BVR as well. Soon the fight moves within visual range. I get a tally on one J-11 and go to dogfight mode. I shoot one Magic and score a kill on one J-11.

My wingman gets another with a Mica. The rest of the flight expends all ordnance with no additional hits.

We RTB successfully with 2 kills.

Land: 1036

Result: FAILURE, not enough enemy aircraft destroyed.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:46:09

Mission 2.

Hsinchu AB. Tasking is 2xMirage 2000-5F BARCAP 17nm west of Taipei.
Loadout is 2xR550, 4xMica, 2x1300L drops.

T/O: 1228

Immediately after takeoff we are vectored away from our patrol area to intercept a flight of 4xSU-30MKK. I steer my flight towards the bogeys, about 100nm away and closing. We have a large SA-10 site in the vicinity of the vector, so I am cautious approaching the engagement.

As we steer around the SA-10 site, we are engaged by another flight of SU-27s. I poke off a Mica and then split-S down and away in burner.

I evade 3xAA-12 and 1xAA-10 on egress.

We spot some merchants during egress. One of those clowns shot an SA-14 at me! Have to give them a bit more room...

We egress to homeplate and call for help. As I hear friendlies engaging the SU-30s I turn back to engage. This time we get closer and catch them evading the other friendly flight. I get off a Mica for a kill. My wingman also gets off a Mica for a kill. I spot two chutes from one of the kills.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:47:39

Then we are engaged ourselves by a flight of 2xSU-37. This is very bad news. We get deeply within visual range and I get a brief view of one bogey enagaging...somebody.

I plug in full burner and egress as hard as I can.

Soon I am picked up by another flight of SU-33s. I get launch warning and keep the burner in. I'm over homeplate, but I'm still being engaged and the bogeys appear to be closing.

At 15nm I turn back into them and get hit right in the face by 3xAA12. I never even get my fingers on the ejection handle before I am dead.

Result: PARTIAL SUCCESS (KIA)

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:49:57

Mission 3.

Yonaguni AB. Tasking is 4xF-4EJ SWEEP off the the west coast of Taiwan.
Loadout is 4xAIM-7M, 4xAIM-9M, 2 drops.

T/O: 1424

Takeoff and transit is uneventful. The Phantom doesn't fly real well heavy, so I level out at 18-20k for the transit. We cross the east coast and fly over the mountainous interior.

We get a call for 4xSU-33s about 60nm ahead, 20 degrees off nose. I take the flight for a direct heading to intercept and start looking on radar. We keep getting AWACS calls, 60, 50, 40, 35, and no lock. I get a few intermittent ESM hits on him, but I can't break him out on radar. Suddenly my RWR goes crazy with a lock-on, so I hold another couple of seconds hoping to get a snap shot off and then break down and away, pumping chaff.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:51:42

Seems we acted as bait because suddenly the radio is alive with friendlies engaging the SU-33s like crazy. Shortly all four are dispatched and I bring the flight back up to 20k and resume on course.

We pick up a flight of Tu-16s on AWACS and turn to intercept. I get these guys locked up easily. I make the mistake, though, of shooting at max range. The Tu-16s turn away and evade my shots easily. Again a feeding frenzy erupts as the -16s evade. The Tu-16s turn back into me and I get two more sparrow shots on one (both miss). I go to AIM-9 and get a good tone on one.

I follow him in his turn and then, before I shoot, I see two missiles hit him in short order. No kill for me!

I get a gas check and the flight is at 7k pounds so we RTB to a divert field.

Land: 1509

Result: SUCCESS

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:55:20

Mission 4.

I had two CTD's before I got this mission to run. After the second CTD, about 45 minutes into a mission, I exited RV, rebooted, and then re-started the campaign. This appears to have worked fine. I think it was more a computer issue than a campaign issue, but we'll see.

Huanlien AB. Tasking is 4xF-16AM-D DCA 15nm west of Taipei.
Loadout is 2xAIM-120, 4xAIM-9M, 2 wing drops.

T/O: 1548

Right after takeoff I spotted a flight of C-5s landing at my airfield. What's cool is that I actually flew on one of these planes from Dover before!

In our onsta area we troll to the west a bit and pick up a low Y-5 right on the water. I tried very hard to break him out on the water but simply could not get a consistent hit on him. Luckily my wingman is more proficient with his radar work, and he got a lock and shot the plane down with an AIM-120.

After chasing the Y-5 a bit over water, we climb back up and get a vector to a flight of 4xSu-30s. I get a good lock on one and just as he shoots at me I shoot at him as well. Then I do my typical beam/split S/chaff/burner egress move to evade.

I evade 2xAA-10s shot at me by egressing out of the fight 20 miles. By now my element has thinned out the enemy flight to 2, but I also lost my element.

My wingman dispatches the third Su-30. AWACS calls the remaining bandit 15nm behind and 20k above me. I pitch the plane up in burner and resume the hunt...

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:57:37

Mission 4 continued:

...and then I proceed to get a beautiful AIM-9 kill in the clouds...

Land: 1642. Two F-16s KIA.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 17:59:55

Mission 6.

Checking my airbases, all of my Mirages are gone. My air power has plummeted over the last day. There is definately some savage fighting in this campaign.

Yonaguni AB, Japan. Tasking is 4xF-4EJ DCA over Taipei. Loadout is 4 and 4, with 2 wing drops.

T/O: 1837

Over Taiwan, the weather is really bad. Visibility is horrible.

The flight is uneventful- no bandits at all during onsta time.

RTB is uneventful except for the non-existence of any sort of horizon or visual cues. If you haven't flown and approach on instruments in a while, you might want to brush up before tackling this campaign.

Land: 1946

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:00:58

DAY 2

Mission 7.

I accelerated time a bit this time. The enemy definately seems to come in waves. There will be few enemy planes on AWACS and then huge waves will come in together, strike, and then egress. It was interesting to watch.

For this hop I head to the 71st Carrier Strike Group for a 4xF-18C DCA over Taipei.
Loadout: 6xAIM-120C-4, 2xAIM-7M, 2 wing drops.

T/O: 0433

I get to my patrol area and pick up a flight of 4xSu-27s about 60nm out. I let my flight go weapons free and I pickle 3 AIM-120s myself at 3 of the -27s. I score one kill, my wingman hits one for a damage. Another friendly flight (or two or three...) also engage the Su-27s and the flight is dispatched.
Shortly afterwards, my wingman also shoots an AIM-120 at an H-6A for a hit (damage)...not sure where that guy was.

After the -27s go down we pick up a following flight of 4xSu-30MKKs right behind. I order my flight weapons free again, and launch 3 more AIM-120s for two kills. My element fires 5xAIM-120 for 5 misses apiece. Other friendly flights engage the Su-30s as well and when we get within 15nm of the the single remaining Su-30 I start collecting my flight for an egress.

Immediately thereafter we are picked up ourselves by a flight of 4xSu-37s. I get the flight into afterburner, head for the deck and egress hard. We get locked up and my -3 decides to be a hero and engage...and pays for his mistake with his life (MIA).

I manage to get the rest of my flight to wing up and we egress uneventfully after a few anxious moments outrunning the -37s.

Land: 0527

Result: Failure- did not remain in station area. I forgot to set the DCA waypoint to 0min patrol time. Ah well.

No pictures for this mission, but I accidentally had my fraps on recording for much of the flight and I taped my carrier landing at the end. Not beautiful...my first approach was much nicer, on AoA, but I came in about 20 feet high and boltered. I trap on this approach, but it's not quite as pretty and I fly it about 10 knots fast.

You can check it here if you'd like: http://www.vimeo.com/1851747

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:03:10

Mission 8.

Yonguchi AB. Tasking is a 2xF-4EJ BARCAP over Taipei. Loadout is 4 and 4. I decide not to take drops with all the divert fields in the vicinity.

T/O: 0938

Flight enroute is uneventful. I patrol for a few turns around our waypoints and then pick up an AWACS call for a flight of 4xSu-30s bearing west for 50nm. I drag my wingman around and head direct.

As we approach, I can hear and intermittently see on RWR a flight of F-15s engaging the Su-30's. One turns into me and locks me up. In the process, though, he gives me a max range envelope shot for an AIM-7, which I take.

The Su-30 turns away and easily outruns my missile. By now I've followed the enemy flight about 80nm west from my patrol area, which is approaching no-man's land. My wingman and I are carrying about 7k fuel, so it's time to start thinking about heading back.

We egress and RTB uneventfully.

Land: 1038

Not very exciting, but I guess every flight can't be dramatic.

In checking JSTARS after the flight, the campaign does appear to be continuing. I'm not seeing alot of real-time activity on the planning map, but JSTARS shows a southern enemy ground force taking some ground. While both sides have taken significant losses, we seem to be equalizing with respect to losses and our ratios are staying relatively parallel. I'll keep pressing and see what another few days brings...

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:05:22

Mission 9.

I transferred to Feng-Nin Airbase look what I found!
Tasking is 2 ship BARCAP 17nm of Taipei.
Loadout is 6xAIM-120C7, 2xAIM-9x

T/O: 1426

Flight enroute was short and uneventful. I have to admit, I love flying the F-22. Talk about easy mode. This plane is just such a rocket- so much engine and power to spare, 3 MFD's, and it responds to stick and throttle like a dream. It's just such a wonderful flying experience.

I get a single Su-30 called out on AWACS. I chase him down and burner and give him 2xAIM-120 at max range.

Unfortunately for me, I think another friendly got him first because moments after shooting he disappears from radar and AWACS calls the area clear.

No further contacts are forthcoming and we RTB. I come across a flight of 4xF-15C's forming up for a BARCAP. I love coming across the dynamic engine going about its business.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:07:46

Since I have some time to kill tonight, I decide to do some tanking practice.

Truth time: I have never tanked successfully in this sim. I manage to get lined up a few times, and of course, everytime I'm about to hit the boom the tanker decides to turn. But, eventually, I get on shortly for a few thousand pounds.

I fall off, reset, and get on again for a few more thousand pounds.

I can't seem to stay on the boom though, so after getting a few thousand pounds I pull off and RTB.

Numbers for the break...

Land: 1540

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:09:33

Mission 10.

Mahuiling Yi Wu Lung Airbase. Tasking is 4xF-5E Sweep 26nm south of Ping-Tung.
The ATO gives me a loadout of 4xAIM-9M. There were alot of ground vehicles in the vicinity of the onstation area, though, so I load up an additional 6xMk-20D Rockeyes and decide to troll around looking for something to bomb.

T/O: 1829

The F-5 doesn't carry a ton of gas so I scoot around as much as I can, but I just don't have alot of time. I was really dark as well, something I didn't quite anticipate, and a lack of radar returns in ground radar mode (and furthermore I doubt the real F-5 even has a ground radar....) means that I end up RTB relatively quickly.

We land with 1500 lbs.

Land: 1858

Result: PARTIAL SUCCESS

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:11:36

Mission 11.

Feng-Nin Airbase. Tasking is a 2xEF-111 Jamming mission 17nm east of Xiamen. Loadout: None available.

Now, I've never flown a jamming mission, and I'm not entirely sure how the simulation models a player flown jammer. Do I need to turn something on beyond my ECM for jamming in the Raven? Is just being present enough? These are the questions I'm seeking to answer.

T/O: 1943

I checked the ATO and I didn't see any scheduled strikes, but my onsta time is an hour, so I plan to hang out and see if something comes in. I don't even know what a good jamming alt is...do I want to go in on the deck? Do I stay at altitude? My ECMO calls for the deck so down we go...

I roll onsta a bit early (damn the Raven moves, even throttled back...) and I descend to the deck. No point in advertising myself to anyone if I don't have to. I do some laps among my waypoints and then decide to motor around and gather some intel while I'm in the area. Not a good idea but driving around in a circle for an hour is kinda boring.

Somehow I get myself good and disoriented and end up flying right over a ground force. I pick up alot of AAA and then very shortly thereafter, going into burner while jinking, I pick up a SA-14 hit that takes out my port engine.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:12:57

Not good. I have a nice left roll now, and I've lost most of my avionics. I have no waypoint info, radar, RWR, etc. But, I'm not on fire so I take up a 110 heading, a good dead reckoning heading to RTB.

I press and manage to get offshore and grab a few thousand feet of altitude. I didn't call for a RESCAP because I was so far into enemy territory when I finally got feet wet. Plus, I thought I had the jet under control. But, I didn't. About 20nm offshore, I lost hydraulics and the plane entered an uncommanded left roll that I couldn't arrest with control inputs (I don't think this showed on my instruments in my F-111 cockpit unfortunately- I sure didn't see it).

My ECMO and I punch out without putting out a mayday.

Result: FAILURE - MIA

I wonder if putting out a call for RESCAP reduces the chances of getting an MIA score for the mission? I don't know how the sim models it, if putting out a mayday improves your odds for the random roll that determines the result of an ejection.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:15:01

DAY 3

Mission 12. 71st Carrier Strike Group. Tasking is 2xEA-6B ECM mission 15nm northeast of Taipei. Loadout is 2xAGM-88 (I tried taking up cluster bombs and drops as well, and couldn't get off the boat. FF5....oh yeah baby).

Had one game crash before this mission about halfway through the mission.

T/O: 1249.

Takeoff and rendezvous.

The 71st CVBG is located NE of Taiwan. Taking a direct heading of about 240 gives me a flight of Su-30s between me and Taiwan at about 50nm and 25k alt. As I close with them, AWACS gives me vectors to them and they're definately closing so I take up a perpendicular course around them. A frigate task group engages them and keeps them off my ass until I'm safely around and can take up a direct course to my onsta area.

Onstation, I go about my jamming business, the ECMO in the back talking about this hot chick he met in Taipei last time in port...

Then we get an unknown radar spike on the RWR. ECMO 2 fires up the first HARM as I pop up for a short range shot.

I come over the top and pop off the HARM for no kill. Very shortly afterwards we get another radar spike. Range is short and I rapidly lock up and shoot.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:17:09

The rest of the onsta time is uneventful. I take a steer from AWACS for homeplate and RTB.

Now it's game time. Rule #1: Always look good around the boat.

Numbers for the break.

Turn to final.

Ok, confession time: I had one waveoff and one bolter before this pass. But, it was my first time flying the Prowler in Falcon 4.

Land: 1338

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:19:20

Mission 13. 71st CVBG. Tasking is 4xF-18C Naval Strike against 865th Patrol Task Force, about 100nm northwest of the CVBG.

Loadout is 4xAGM-88E, 120s and -9Ms.

T/O: 1621

For some reason, the rest of my flight fails to takeoff, but since this is a short hop, I press solo.

I locate the task force on SEA mode radar and lock up a Grisha.

Weapon away on one Grisha. Note the chaff being pumped out by the Grisha.

While I'm busy shooting pictures, I happen to see the Grisha shoot an SA-N-4. Doh! Back to the cockpit and I dance around a bit to evade.

I reset and pop off a Harpoon at the Osa II.

I've got two hits, but no kills. I decide to ripple the next two at the next target.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:20:42

Score hit two on the Osa II for a kill.

A short flight home to RTB.

Land: 1647

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-10-05 18:21:45

Mission 14. 71st CVBG. Tasking is 2xEA-6B ECM 15nm northeast of Taipei.

Loadout is 1xAGM-88, 1xALQ-99, 3xMk-20D.

T/O: 2027

Transit is uneventful. No enemy aircraft come near my onsta area. I patrol around looking for a radar to lock me up, but I don't get a single bite. Finally I pick out a bunch of GVs on NVGs. I select CCIP and drop my Rockeyes on the biggest group. I pick up some ground fire, but nothing significant.

Drop results in 1 BMP-2 kill and several damaged enemy tanks. I decide to RTB to a land divert field rather than try to bring the Prowler back to the boat at night.

Land: 2102