Taiwan theater

Taiwan theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

derStef
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2007-11-22 01:16:46

hey guys, i also made a nice campaign mod of save0.cam ...
RoCaf is near on reallife status, but without the jets which are not in RV database like F-CK-1a and so...

plus two US carrier groups, av-8b, E-3,E-8, F-16CG, F-111, F-15C, AH-64D...
AND one higwaystrip and a Airbase on those islands on the right end of
map to simulate Kadena Airbase or so, but how to "level" the airbase????
no prob to take off or land but looks so worst.

i also had an eye on the tips that ccc gave once in the Taiwan theater threat!! look at the Map that was posted by CCC ==> ( viewtopic.php?t=20950&postdays=0&postor ... &start=120 )
Pretty explosive campaign, runs smooth lots of "red" ACs attacking taiwan...

so, does anybody want it????

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-22 05:02:13

RAR up the save0.cam and send it to me, I'll take a look at it. Also if you'd have more specific changelog of what you edited it would be great (but you listed pretty nicely some edits already).
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-11-22 09:04:40

Snake Man wrote:RAR up the save0.cam and send it to me, I'll take a look at it. Also if you'd have more specific changelog of what you edited it would be great (but you listed pretty nicely some edits already).

ok, i will list it up later, i have to look fpor it...... , but what AC should i integrate into camp instead of missing F-CK-1???? :?:
the Rocaf F-16 verions in my campaign are F-16A,B & C+.
or shall i add F-16AM-B/D (MLU) instead, because RoCAF F-16A/B were modernized to MLU standard.....
look here :
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article19.html

it's also no prob to have different weapons/hardpoint configurations (F4browse) and skins for each theater.that is very important i think, for example you fly tornado Gr1 in EuropeTheater you use the standart gr1 skin, if you fly OSD you will use a desertcamo skin for Gr1. the same with weapons, no ASRAAM or IRIS-T in ODS.
there is a easy way to have a Objects folder (where the .dds skin files are) for each theater, insert your own theaterspecific skins once in the different Objects folder and no skin switching anymore in RV!!! do you uderstand what i mean??? I describe the way on the bottom of that post

RoCAF F-16A/B have aslo AIM-7 Sparrow & GBU-10/12 capability...
i can edit this and other things (remove paveway II and JDAMs from F-16C+,.....) without probs! the only problem is that i don't know where F4browse saves this hardpoint edits or F4browse edits in general.
it is not the "falcon4.fed" what it should be!

How to copy the Objects Folder(Skin Folder) for every theater: Example Taiwan Theater:

go to X:\MicroProse\Falcon4\terrdata and copy and paste it into X:\MicroProse\Falcon4\Theaters\Taiwan\terrdata
then go back to X:\MicroProse\Falcon4\Theaters\Taiwan & open the "taiwan.TDF" file with text editor: edit the file that it looks like that below!
# Taiwan TDF file
# shown in the pick list
name Taiwan

# Title shown on theater page
desc Taiwan Theater

# bitmap to display on theater page
bitmap Theaters\Taiwan\taiwan.tga

# in general, you can miss out most of these, and it
# will use the default, unless another theater changes it
# so probably best to put in explicitly.
# Where the campaign directory is
campaigndir Theaters\Taiwan\campaign

# where the terrain data is
terraindir Theaters\Taiwan\terrdata

# where art is loaded from
artdir Theaters\Taiwan\art

# movies
moviedir Theaters\Taiwan

# uisounds
#uisounddir sounds

# default objects
objectdir Theaters\Taiwan\terrdata\objects

# misc textures
#misctexdir terrdata\misctex

# 3d object files
3ddatadir Theaters\Taiwan\terrdata\objects

# minimum tacan channel
#mintacan 70

# sounds dir
#sounddir sounds

OK, so you can start F4browse & open the X:\MicroProse\Falcon4\Theaters\Taiwan\terrdata\objects falcon4.FED file.
now you can edit hardpoint for evey theater.

no prob to insert the skins now...

i hope you understand that all :wink:
[/i]
Last edited by derStef on 2007-11-22 10:37:06, edited 2 times in total.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-11-22 09:21:33

derstef wrote: ok, i will list it up later, i have to look fpor it...... , but what AC should i integrate into camp instead of missing F-CK-1???? :?:
you can use F-5A, or one of european ac, or mig29A for the time being.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Taiwan DB

Post by ccc » 2007-11-22 09:22:29

ranger822 wrote:@CCC - can you give a brief status of the DB progress and what remains to be done there? Perhaps I can add a few more items into RV-ITO2?
the list is long. do you have spare time to do the work?

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-11-22 10:34:54

ccc wrote:
derstef wrote: ok, i will list it up later, i have to look fpor it...... , but what AC should i integrate into camp instead of missing F-CK-1???? :?:
you can use F-5A, or one of european ac, or mig29A for the time being.

yes up to now i used AMX with AIM-7Fs and 370 gal tanks in my current taiwan theater mod.
F-5A is NOT shown upt in Campaign (not flyable, but in theather)
in TE's i always get CTD with F-5A....
any solution????

CCC can you tell my where the F4browse saves the edits. Its not "FALCON4.FED" i tried to overwirte a standard falcon4.fed with me new edited one but nothing happend, so it must be saved in another file the Objects folder!!!
but CCC your models are so awesome!!!!!!!

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-11-22 13:46:46

derstef wrote:CCC can you tell my where the F4browse saves the edits. Its not "FALCON4.FED" i tried to overwirte a standard falcon4.fed with me new edited one but nothing happend, so it must be saved in another file the Objects folder!!!
i don't know.. f4browser changes many files..

as for AMX, that's ok.. btw F-CK-1 loads two active homing AAM.. so better replace AIM7 with AIM120.

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-11-22 14:51:35

ccc wrote:
derstef wrote:CCC can you tell my where the F4browse saves the edits. Its not "FALCON4.FED" i tried to overwirte a standard falcon4.fed with me new edited one but nothing happend, so it must be saved in another file the Objects folder!!!
i don't know.. f4browser changes many files..

as for AMX, that's ok.. btw F-CK-1 loads two active homing AAM.. so better replace AIM7 with AIM120.

ok!

Parislord
Recruit

Post by Parislord » 2007-11-22 16:14:21

Snake Man wrote:Second, could you be interested of sharing your campaign editing ideas here, perhaps we can offer help and implement the whole campaign into the upcoming version? I assume you want to build some 1980's era technology using campaign right?

But more straight answer is... are you sure all the changed 80's aircrafts in the database work ok, as some (whether it being 80's or not I dont know) I think will crash F4 (RV database entrys).
Third point first, I don't think (think, that is) that it can be an a/c prob as I ran the same mod on the same theater on an older machine. However, I'm now rebuilding the mod with a test after each change (this is gonna take some time).

Second point last: this is the last place in the world where the doctrine of intercept survives, so I'm building your basic bomber vs interceptor campaign. Only thing is, AMRAAM limits your dogfighting opportunities, so I've been using older ac to try and make it a little more fun. I use F-8 as an F-104 substitute. Modded an F-16 to act as Ching Kuo, PRC tech maxes-out at J-8B (which is actually quite a fun ac to drive). Total OOB is:

F-5E, F-8E, F-16A/B, AIDC Ching Kuo (F-1-CK), C-130H, E-2C for ROC
J-6A, J-7B, J-7E, J-8B, A-5 (older Q-5 sub), H-5, H-6, H-6T for PRC
F-14A, F/A-18A, A-7E for US carrier force
Super Etendarde, F-8E for French carrier force
"The terrain has a higher Pk than any missile you may currently be evading..."

ranger822
Banned user

Taiwan DB Work

Post by ranger822 » 2007-11-22 16:29:14

@CCC -

honestly I don't know about my time - ITO2 is WIP waiting on word from Biker on his progress. I think it best to limit my commitment on DB work for Taiwan - - I was thinking that I could add a few more toys for you - then you could continue your work -- while I continue to watch, wait, fix ITO2.

The main thing is I don't want to break anything currently working in ITO2 to add stuff that won't be used directly. If I can add stuff to DB and you can then tweak it to working status that was my intent.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-11-22 16:38:35

@Ranger, sure. no hurries.

@Parislord, the OOB looks good - but french carrier involved?? two or more US carrires sound more reasonable.

Parislord
Recruit

Post by Parislord » 2007-11-23 01:54:04

ccc wrote:@Parislord, the OOB looks good - but french carrier involved?? two or more US carrires sound more reasonable.
I know, I just like the Super Etendarde. However, I got part of the prob figured-out: I was trying to mod one of the prev pages user-submitted campaigns (one with PRC ships in the channel) and I prob removed something key to the campaign. Moding the base campaign works. I left-out the Frogs on this one...

Dueling with MiGs in the F-8 where both sides have only rear-aspect missiles is a lot of fun. Being stalked by J-8B's with aspides is refreshingly high in pucker-factor. The key isn't killing fighters it's getting to the bombers before they can savage your airbases. New way of looking at the campaign...

This is a really awesome theater with potential for a really different campaign concept, I hope it sees further development. Esp. if we can get three distinct sav.? files to fill with seperate era a/c. Note, I get an odd tacedit error if I try to mode sav1: something about all objectives match those in sav0? then if goes through many individual error messages about particular units/objectives and crashes?

Anyway, tons of fun for the whole squadron. Thanks!

:D

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-23 02:46:08

As I recall Taiwan was one of the first new theaters to come out (with the new installer), its very early stages. When we get around to it, the next release will be much much better, you can help with this by supplying us good and precise bug reports of what needs to be fixed.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-11-23 06:04:18

@Parislord,

yes the bomber/attacker interception is the major mission during that timeframe.

in RL, it's done in "layer defence". first and high layer by F104/F16/M2000, medium and lower layer by F5/FCK1, and inner layer by SAM in the order of Patriot/Nike/SlyBowII, HAwk/SkybowI, chapparel, Stinger, AAA guns.

acutally the SAM density is the second place in the world .. the first is Israel.

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-11-23 10:51:08

@Parislord

.... i found a easy way to have much more CAP Missions in a campaign
it a tacedit issue.
i'm currently working on a save0.cam mod of twaiwan with ca. 2006/2007 data!
do you edit the standard save0.cam from the taiwan theater or are you editing it from the beginnig (complete new)? i mean start with the TE template!?

so if i can help you let me know...
8-)

Parislord
Recruit

Post by Parislord » 2007-11-23 21:36:45

I edit from the straight sav0, I've never tried from the te template. Currently, I'm working-up a 60's version (F-100D, F-104, etc.). However, I often get a ctd when overwriting veh's w/ their older counterparts. I wonder if I'm interfering w/ objectives by changing the type of veh?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-24 03:09:08

Guys I highly recommend using the TCL scripts to create the campaigns (of course I'm not 100% sure if you dont use them already, but it all sounds like if you dont). You can start by taking a look at the PMC Korean Campaign example package. I have some more advanced scripts now but not by much.

TCL is like the manuscript for a campaign, when you finally send the final campaign to me, you dont have to send the actual save0.cam file, but just the "manuscript" which I then use to create the exactly same campaign. If you make any mistakes on the save0.cam file, your work is lost, if you make mistakes with the TCL, you just correct the mistaken lines and create the campaign again, its easy.

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-11-24 04:37:17

Parislord wrote:I edit from the straight sav0, I've never tried from the te template. Currently, I'm working-up a 60's version (F-100D, F-104, etc.). However, I often get a ctd when overwriting veh's w/ their older counterparts. I wonder if I'm interfering w/ objectives by changing the type of veh?
i've encountered the same CTD after replacing ac. donno why it happen.

maybe try TCL?

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-11-26 12:22:21

ccc wrote:
Parislord wrote:I edit from the straight sav0, I've never tried from the te template. Currently, I'm working-up a 60's version (F-100D, F-104, etc.). However, I often get a ctd when overwriting veh's w/ their older counterparts. I wonder if I'm interfering w/ objectives by changing the type of veh?
i've encountered the same CTD after replacing ac. donno why it happen.

maybe try TCL?

hey guys!
i get no CTD after replacing Ac and so on! tested alot around...
send me one of your save.cam files & i'll check them out.. if you want! :idea:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-26 13:45:28

Is there some user made campaigns that we need to add into the official theater release?

If they are tweaked existing campaigns, no problem, if they are brand new with new style/theme, no problem either we can add a new "theater" for them with the TDF's just like in our other theaters.

PMC since 1984

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-11-26 20:05:14

Snake Man wrote:Is there some user made campaigns that we need to add into the official theater release?

If they are tweaked existing campaigns, no problem, if they are brand new with new style/theme, no problem either we can add a new "theater" for them with the TDF's just like in our other theaters.

yes,i just said a have a wroking save0.cam mod of the original 0.3theater
i have done/edited the most things that CCC said.. :!:

just PM me!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-26 20:55:28

CCC can you tell my where the F4browse saves the edits. Its not "FALCON4.FED"
If you edited loadouts (what weapons aircraft carries) then its the falcon4.WLD file.
Please refer to PMC Editing Wiki: Database Files :)
yes,i just said a have a wroking save0.cam mod of the original 0.3theater
i have done/edited the most things that CCC said
Is it too much to ask if you would list all the changes, like what aircraft you added into which airbase and what did you delete and where?

If you could provide full list like that, I could write a TCL script out of it and give the full Taiwan TCL suite to you to use in the future. You have NO IDEA how great the TCL's are compared to the editing directly with Tacedit, trust me on this.

Anyways if you dont want/cant provide the full changes list, then rar up the .cam file and email it to me - pmc at pmctactical dot org - thanks.

Btw please dont hesitate with this, I'm eager to put out first preview theater of the Htti installer so we can have real life actual testing results that it works 100%.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-30 00:31:37

Okay I hate to sound like a nagging wife here, but I must emphasize that I need to get all the modified (campaign) files and/or information here for the next release so they can be checked, possibly worked at and included in the release. OR dont come blaming me that all the necessary edits did not make to the next release.

I'm right now working on Korea 128, but when Taiwans turn comes, I dont stand still waiting for some email to arrive, I'll edit and release, thats how it goes.

So please send me any necessary stuff for the next release, lets not forget any edits so we can all enjoy the best new version of Taiwan theater.

PMC since 1984