PMC finishing ArmA 2 projects, read TODO here

ArmA 2 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

PMC finishing ArmA 2 projects, read TODO here

Post by Snake Man » 2016-10-19 09:40:10

For historical reference see PMC finishing ArmA projects, read TODO here.

PMC near future TODO list

This is list of projects in my mind right now, I want to accomplish my goals by editing and releasing the following final ArmA 2 releases:

DONE! & Released PMC Skybox Remove - support for more terrains
DONE! & Released PMC Terrain Objects - several fixes
DONE! & Released PMC AGS Buildings - several fixes
DONE! & Released PMC Rattler - skybox remove, custscenes
DONE! & Released PMC AGS Industrial - several fixes
DONE! & Released PMC Rugen - cfgsurface tweaks, skybox remove, cutscenes
DONE! & Released PMC AGS Port - normal maps redone with much lesser bump
DONE! & Released PMC 51km Desert - too many changes to list them all
DONE! & Released Vietnam: The Experience - too many changes to list

<add here any project I forgot hehe. if you have some favorite PMC project you not see in this list, please post it here>

So ArmA 3 got released already back in 2013 (now its Oct 2016 already) and I cant recall when but at least in 2016 "everybody" has moved to ArmA 3. Not much if any posts in ArmA 2 bis forum area and the "ArmA" discord chat server only has ArmA 3 channels (it has arma end of life channel, heh sad).

Unlike ArmA to ArmA 2 transfer its little bit different now as ArmA 2 v1.62 is the last "good version" before bis went to steam, gamespy was shut down and the horrible CA namespace script error causing mayhem. People are divided, I still know some hard core old school guys who stay with v1.62 and wont touch the new v1.63 steam shit patch.

This means that the old schoolers are cut off from the rest of very few remaining players because v1.62 multiplayer has no servers to announce, no server browser is working and only way to connect to servers is to know their real IP address. Very painful.

On the other hand you have the v1.63 patch which requires steam to run, it has steam multiplayer server browser and actually there are quite few servers still up the last time I checked. However the patch itself gives tons of undefined variable errors due engine changes, there is "CorePatch: config patch for ArmA 2 OA" fixing going on which was started by a community member and it actually got into official bis patch in steam. But still today the v1.63 gives few errors, there was also some other issues which unfortunately I cant remember now as I'm been using v1.62 only haha. Also I don't have the latest build number at hand right now, bis forums say v1.63.131129 which was released back in 2015... but I assume there has been steam updates without forum topic since then, no idea.

Regarding editing, back in ArmA(1) times I wrote Even BIS has started to hammer nails into the coffin labeled ArmA with their ArmA 2 tools release policy which just simply gestapo style overwrites old ArmA tools. and funnily the situation is exactly the same now. When I tested ArmA 3 alpha steam tools they didn't overwrite ArmA 2 bis tools v2.5.1 but caused binarize to give lot of errors. So same old.

Anyways that's the current situation with Arma 2 vs ArmA 3.

As with the earlier game changes, I want to finish up my projects without leaving anything half done, you know PMC ArmA 2 legacy and all. As there is basically nobody playing or caring about ArmA 2 anymore it feels little bit waste of time to edit anymore, but as you guys know me I'm a man of principle and will finish my projects before saying "Ooh! Shiny!" and jumping ship.

This has very little to do about anyone else except me, I just want to do this no matter if anyone gives a damn if these releases are done or not. Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Reference read: PMC ArmA 3 modding statement.

This list is NO promise!

Indeed, if I decide to look into the shiny things or just get plain and simply bored and stop editing, these projects listed above are what I want to do, not something I promise to do. So don't get your hopes up or come complaining later about "you promised" stuff.

Unlike the previous game change project TODO, I have already done bunch of stuff so it looks really good at the moment. Still there are lots of editing to be done for example VTE has like endless bugs list heh. I actually look forward to do some VTE editing as its been year(s) since I had that project under work the last time.

Stay tuned! :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: PMC finishing ArmA 2 projects, read TODO here

Post by Snake Man » 2016-10-22 02:31:23

Just added done and released status for two last projects before VTE, whee! :)

Actually today was special day as I'm in a hurry, usually I pace out releases every few days (if there are more than one ready at the time), but yesterday evening we got the news that Elite Dangerous v2.2 upgrade happens next tuesday Oct 25th 2016 so I'm going to devote my time for that at least for several days if not weeks.

Please don't misunderstand me, this doesn't mean that I'm any way stopping or quitting this ArmA 2 project todo, no way... it's just that I gotta give some love for Elite too :)

I assume I'll play Elite for a week or so, then come back to ArmA 2 and move VTE project into my armatools directory and start to edit that monster :mrgreen:

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: PMC finishing ArmA 2 projects, read TODO here

Post by Snake Man » 2016-12-09 09:35:29

All projects done & released, hooyah! PMC gets shit done.

PMC since 1984