ArmA 2 first impressions by PMC

ArmA 2 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-06-02 23:52:30

It is awesome!

I cant put it any more simpler. ArmA 2 rules.

When I first tried out Armed Assault it felt strange, heavy and awkward etc... it took me some time to get adjusted for the new engine. Well that's not the case with ArmA 2, the first moment I ran it I was like whoaah ArmA 2, then when I started the bootcamp first training mission and the environment, soldiers, movement, action, stuff... everything was experienced the first time, I was in completely in love with the game.

It just felt right.

It just felt so good.

It was just so fucking awesome.

I started the game with setting options quality to normal and still dropped the fill rate to 100% as I've read several posts on the forums that this feature is what kills frame rates the most. As I already posted about PMC development computer, mid 2009, it ran with these settings perfectly smoothly.

I played the first single mission and that was just great, great helicopter insertion to the beach where the water looks just so gorgeous.

People have been complaining about the radio comms being clued together from words, while its true, its not that bad.

The injury system is great, its so cool, it brings so much more into the missions as you see your team member go down, you WANT to go rescue him, there is no other feeling than dragging your bleeding buddy to safety when some bastard insurgent is firing RPD machine gun on you with bullet cracks zipping around you. Also it is very cool to get treated by your AI team mates and then get back to the fight.

These are the initial impressions after playing the first boot camp and first single player mission and just a bit browsing in armory. I'll post more feedback as hours and days go by.

But to summary it up; there is no other game / sim like ArmA 2, its just great.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: ArmA 2 first impressions by PMC

Post by Snake Man » 2009-06-05 04:53:58

After the first post here and few hours of sleep, I woke up and played ArmA 2 for 12 hour straight with only breaks being going to the toiled and fridge, oh man what a unbelievable game engine we have here. Since that I've been like "in the zone" or something, I've been sleeping 1-4hrs short breaks and then get back up to play some ArmA 2 more, its insane.

I now can confirm everything I said in the first post:

ArmA 2 is awesome.

It feels just so right.

The atmosphere on Chernarus terrain is so real it scares me.

New game features like artillery and high command is very cool, something we should have had since OFP (without user addons).

The engine is great but so is the data, as mentioned Chernarus is so real but the addons like soldiers, weapons and vehicles are just so goddamn good looking that I don't know what to say.

Performance is insane, of course I had to get completely new computer so maybe I'm blinded by this fact that my computer is many times more powerful than my old one, but ArmA 2 is just so fantastic on performance.

I can't recall anything more specific to say, summary is that ArmA 2 is the greatest and we'll leave it at that.

Now I'm going to grab something to eat and then start another all day lasting ArmA 2 session :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

DMarkwick
Recruit

Re: ArmA 2 first impressions by PMC

Post by DMarkwick » 2009-06-05 11:33:07

Wow, I'm REALLY looking forward to picking this up. Have to wait for later on in the month when it's released here in the UK (I prefer to buy actual discs, call me 20th century Luddite ;)).

Unfortunately I cannot afford a new PC for this, but I'm hoping to get at least playable performance. I hear it scales down well for older machines.