How to be a mod maker and how to mod?

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

How to be a mod maker and how to mod?

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-29 15:53:14

I have added three important articles into our wiki that covers areas which seem to be neglected many times in the addon community.

Seems like there are great addon makers who have no clue how to create proper technical addon, or have no idea how to properly release, so these articles explain all this. I've collected this information when observing recent ArmA releases and inspecting the pbo contents. I'll continue keeping eye on the mod community and when specific new cases come along which should be added into the wiki, I'll do so. I'd say the most basics are included in the guides here.

Here are the links.

How to be a mod maker - politics behind being mod maker.

How to mod - technical stuff behind mod making.

How to release - proper way to release your mod.

Enjoy and most importantly... learn :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Re: How to be a mod maker and how to mod?

Post by T_Rex » 2009-04-29 16:33:12

Good stuff. :)

In the documentation section in the How To Release article, you might mention credits/thanks to people who've helped. It is a nice way to treat the people who've helped you create the next great addon. :)

Also, I'm curious what you think of something else - publicity. I mean, let's say you've gotten everything done, thoroughly betatested (or close enough) and are down to just the tweaking. You've got a date in mind for when to release. Maybe you've even arranged the distributions to the news sites/mirrors. Anything wrong with doing a quick youtube vid advertising the upcoming release? Obviously, it is lame if the vid shows stuff that doesn't work or might get taken out. But, if you're sure you're almost done?

Not that... uh... I... uh... have ever done anything like that.... :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-29 18:27:25

Thanks for pointing out the lack of credits in the documentation, its added now.

Yes I was just looking at the hot to release and there wasn't a word on the publicity or stuff, it was on the how to be a mod maker... err hmm kind of confusing. I've now added publicity part in the how to release and wrote something generic there which I hope don't conflict too much with the other page, hehe.

Let me know how it looks.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2009-04-29 18:38:07

I like it. :)

I especially like the tone - kinda like a big brother. :D Kinda in-your-face, but in a way that is clearly helpful.

One thing to add, maybe, about the publicity, is that it can also help prepare the users for any unique aspects. So, if aiming the new BFG2000 is a bit different, it can almost be like a tutorial. Or even just to give an idea what the view looks like from inside the new X-wing fighter.

You do kinda acknowledge there's a balance between the "OMG look at this awesomeness" type hyping and bona fide publicity. It seems like every week I find mods or addons that have been out a long time that I just didn't hear about, or forgot. People publicizing their work can make sure it gets picked up in searches, too.

Oh - one kinda funny thing to add might be to say that the addon will never truly be finished. ;) There's always something else to add, or tweak, or remove, or rework....

Overall good job!
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-29 21:22:53

T_Rex wrote:I especially like the tone - kinda like a big brother. :D Kinda in-your-face, but in a way that is clearly helpful.
Yeah I sorta use non politically correct (if I have any idea what that means) terms when I call people lamers if they release broken addons and so on, but that's how I feel about it. What else would you be if you release something utterly stupid which so easily could be avoided. Also when I feel passionate about something, I speak up and not holding back. On the other hand if I have nothing to add, you don't see me spamming the forums for useless nonsense.

Dunno, I see that my tone and "attitude" is still within good limits as I want to make my point across for the newbies who otherwise might think for example that "why would I bother doing one extra LOD or use rar instead of exe installer?"
You do kinda acknowledge there's a balance between the "OMG look at this awesomeness" type hyping and bona fide publicity.
Hmm not sure, I mean with the hyping like those mod's that has XX amount of pages in forum topics where fanbois post dancing bananas after dancing bananas... and then only few months later the mod dies. Or that mod hypes themselves to be the super cool and pro excellence, only to release utter trash addons which are clued together with bubble gum by some retarded 12 year old. I could name names as examples, but naturally I don't wish to offend anyone or pretty much act against my own advices from the mod maker article hehe.

But perhaps you guys already know enough of these high roller mod's which come down in flames when the reality of release time hits :mrgreen:
It seems like every week I find mods or addons that have been out a long time that I just didn't hear about, or forgot. People publicizing their work can make sure it gets picked up in searches, too.
To me its not about addon features, its the theme I'm interested. Gimme a ground breaking super elite 1.1km x 1.1km terrain and I'm snoozing off in front of the keyboard, but gimme a 102km x 102km low quality terrain and I'm hyperventilating of excitement.

But that's just me, maybe there are a lot of people who don't care about addon theme but just if its suitable for specific task or something like this.

Anyways.

In a nutshell I just wanted to have one solid place to read all about modding, which I can then link to people who do bad addons / releases (which seems to happen weekly, if not daily basis hehe, sigh), a link which should help them to improve their skills and releases.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2009-04-30 00:33:44

hehe

I think they are good articles. :) Yeah, they are kinda your opinion, but you've done alot and seen alot, so you're in a great position to offer that kind of advice.

:thumbs:
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-30 12:30:00

Oh no, not my opinion (if I understood you correctly that you refer to the whole concept), its the common editing knowledge that I'm trying to teach here. All the hardcore developers know that you need to edit this way, they might not run around in forums yelling newbies to fix their addons but that's how they feel.

Its not my opinion that you need to make high performance addons, its BIS direct wish too. BIS programmers have said many times you need to reduce sections etc.

PMC since 1984