Floating 50m forest blocks / flying trees

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Floating 50m forest blocks / flying trees

Post by Snake Man » 2008-09-30 19:29:50

As many of you know, OFP use 50meter x 50meter forest block objects, these filled up whole WRP Cell therefore you didnt had to place 20-30 tree objects there, just 1 forest block object. With this system we were able to create insanely thick jungle bush etc.

Then game along ArmA... and something was changed in the engine, so now all the 50m forest block objects float in the air or having that "flying trees" effect. It was bad, if your mod was using alot of these forect blocks you were doomed as the floatation was utterly bad.

Then Q and The-F came up with the idea of putting geometry value "placement = slopeLandContact" and they tested this, it didnt work. Q then asked my help and I tested it on VTE forest / grass blocks and added the landContact LOD with few points to suggest where the landcontact is.

LandContact LOD

Geometry "placement = slopeLandContact"

I tested... and it works!

I tested it on pretty rough terrain as you can see, I cannot get it to float, no matter how I place them.

I am so happy now! I would like to shout out my heartfelt thanks for Q and The-F, what would I do without you guys. Thank you SO much for solving this problem! Thank YOU.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

PROPER.Q
Recruit

Post by PROPER.Q » 2008-09-30 19:31:46

A pleasure as always. 8-)

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-09-30 20:12:12

awesome :)