Missile, Bomb etc firing/dropping, proxy or something

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Missile, Bomb etc firing/dropping, proxy or something

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-07 08:23:28

In aircraft when you fire a missile or drop a bomb, ie "FIRE", the actual missile/bomb model appears... normally in working models on correct location like rockets come out of rocket pod and bomb falls off the wing-hardpoint where its hanging.

However my problem is the VTE MC-130 plane which drops/fires the VTE_BLU82 bomb, this bomb has a proxy, inside the aircrafts cargo hold as the bomb is carried there. Now when I fire it, the bomb appears on center and top of the aircraft. Is this because the bomb "cannot appear inside a vehicle/geometry" or something?

I tried to look few models for info about Memory lod names for possible "bomb location" selections or something, but didn't find anything useful.

I tried to do a script which captures the bomb and places it to proper place bit under and behind the aircraft but no luck, the instant the bomb is fired and appears, it will damage the aircraft to the point that pilot dies etc.

If someone knows how to properly place a bomb, or rather that this explained method is critically wrong, please tell me so.

And further, as the problem was explained above, how would we carry the bomb (proxy) in the cargo hold, open the ramp door and then the bomb would be fired so it would slide out or even appear few meters behind the planes tail?

I can live with compromises, I just want the big sucker BLU-82 Daisycutter to work so players can bomb each other to pieces :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-10-07 10:38:27

No sorry SM, the thread of mine you quoted was as best I got.
The B52 still had problems keep the bombs in place, but it was likely due to the drop location being so close to (pretty much inside) the plane.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-07 15:10:14

Thanks for replying. I'll have to keep digging around, if/when I find and answer I'll post it here of course (also I'll try to remember notify you).

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-08-29 14:40:28

Was thinking about opening new topic for this, but its so close I decided to just post here.

Is there some "right" and "wrong" way to model aircrafts with bombs, as some of my models do have the bomb actually modeled into the airframe (and uses the hiddenselection after firing) but other aircrafts have just bomb proxy?

What are the pros and cons on both choices?

Am I correct that if you only have 1 type of bombs, you can use proxys, but if you have missiles, rockets and bombs etc loadout, you must model the weapons into the plane and use hiddenselection to make them disappear after firing?

Thanks for any information anyone can share :)

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-08-29 16:43:04

the good thing with proxy is that you can change.. so 1 plane model can be fitted with LGB, AIM 9 or whatever and it will change. It also alittle (i mean alittle) bit better for the game i guess.. to be honest I can't say but I would assume since the game is built for that way not the hidden selctions.

However, I don't think it makes a huge difference.. keep both systems as you find them working. I aint an expert on the subject by any means but this is my opinion..

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2008-08-30 03:59:52

Snake Man wrote:Am I correct that if you only have 1 type of bombs, you can use proxys, but if you have missiles, rockets and bombs etc loadout, you must model the weapons into the plane and use hiddenselection to make them disappear after firing?
Yes.
Or you have 2 or 3 different types of bombs

But the non-proxy method;
a) is a little painful to setup properly because you have to find the exact XYZ for the ModelTo script command, for every bomb or missile
b) involves a fair few scripts (for firing and re-arming)
c) can lead to small MP appearance issues. i.e. reported 1 sec delay between disappear and reappear.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-08-30 06:21:24

Gnat wrote:Or you have 2 or 3 different types of bombs
Hmm do you mean that I cannot add two different bombs with proxys literally, ie I cannot have napalm and mk82 (both normal freefall bombs) into one plane?

PMC since 1984

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2008-08-30 07:49:06

Snake Man wrote:
Gnat wrote:Or you have 2 or 3 different types of bombs
Hmm do you mean that I cannot add two different bombs with proxys literally, ie I cannot have napalm and mk82 (both normal freefall bombs) into one plane?
Hmmm ... cant remember, if 2 is ok. I think its the total number of proxy types. 2 maybe work, 3 doesnt.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: Missile, Bomb etc firing/dropping, proxy or something

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-08 22:24:53

Today I solved the MC-130 daisycutter problem. I'm not sure what was the actual fix, but I noticed the aircraft model was missing memory points of zamerny and raketa's. So I added zamerny, p raketa and l raketa memory points and after this the bomb placing script from fired eventhandler works just OK. Now the bomb is grabbed after firing it and placed underneath the plane without damaging it.

PMC since 1984