ITO2 for FreeFalcon5.5.5 is released! (2011)

Israel theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

ITO2 for FreeFalcon5.5.5 is released! (2011)

Post by ccc » 2011-09-07 01:49:10

Announcement from FF board.. GREAT JOB guys!!
===============================================

ITO2 is released
The Israel Theater of Operations has been released and I'm sure that many of you will want to try it out. This Theater has been labored over for years and you will find it a nice addition to the existing listing of locales. The thing everyone will immediately notice are without a doubt the finest set of terrain tiles ever created for Falcon. 'Polak' has done an outstanding job on this artwork and as you fly and fight around this desert terrain, you will see oasis's everywhere. The detail that exists in this extension is incredible. The skin sets depicting the real squadrons, the new Airbases and taxi lighting are stunning and there are a host of new period aircraft to choose from. Now is the time to get out of the F-16 fighting at BVR and return to the days of Dog Fighting. The first thing I suggest you do is choose one of the many TE's built by 'dew-dog' and if a campaign is what you prefer, there is one of those as well. 2011 has been an exciting year for Falcon and for FreeFalcon, this is the icing on the cake.

Tony ('Ranger822') all I can say is that you have the type of willpower, strength and stamina that it takes to erect the Pyramids. How fitting this theater takes place at that very spot. Salute to you Colonel, it's been a privilege to work with you. 'Tom', you are a pit bull beta-tester and Photobucket just confirmed that their band width has dropped by 50%. 'Ram22', tackled the campaigns, along with 'Cptmtge', 'Snail, 'toonces' and 'Topolo' providing flight support.

Here is the download link:
http://freefalcon.com/Ranger/ITO/V2.7z

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: ITO2 for FreeFalcon5.5.5 is released! (2011)

Post by ranger822 » 2011-09-25 10:41:38

To my good friend CCC - I want to thank and Eyran Millis for being the at the core of the start of this long journey. It has indeed been a journey of epic proportions. I can honestly say that short of writing code, nearly every area of Falcon has been investigated in most cases edited in at least some small way to produce ITO2. It has been fun, frustrating, exasperating, and a relief to finally make a long overdue release.

As with every process I have made many friends, a few enemies, and have experienced what I would call the closing stage 11th hour dramatics - but in the end I hope all who participated or who waited felt it was worth the wait.

For those who participated I think most would agree that the relief is somewhat bittersweet. First, arriving at the end of the journey can often leave one feeling a but empty, perhaps for want of now having nothing to do every night. Secondly, the release of BMS a few short days before served to deflate what had been hoped would be a nice released for the community, which instead was both overshadowed and perhaps even ignored. Third, it reveals the easily overlooked fact that with any Falcon theater effort, the time it takes to bring a reasonably decent product to the point of public release is such that by the time the release is made, it is often obsolete or in need of updating.

In this PMC community of theater developers we have failed to band together and dictate what Falcon.exe we would choose to use and as such find ourselves forever chasing the next greatest flavor of the month/year/decade. What occurs is source code editing is and has been a separate process that works in its own bubble, ignoring the development of theaters. Snakeman attempted to setup a file/folder convention and in my opinion that is a step in the right direction. But, more than that what should have been occurring all along is a fully integrated approach to theater development where the code writers and theater developers work together. The fact is it takes a very short time to make some very signtificant code edits that can seriously break a theater. When those changes occur, if you wish to adopt the newest whizwham Falcon.exe, the theater must adapt. That might be something simple like adding a file here or there, or it can be huge like reworking terrrain, and entire database or user interface. If you add on top of this that often times the code writer(s) have a mind of their own and act independently of the team (FF, SP, BMS) then the problems and decision making takes on an even more complex dimension.

Now that I have made my soapbox pitch for more unity of effort I would like to add that ITO2 will have an update. This will address issues raised by public. A date has not been set.