TerrainEditor Utility

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

monster
2nd Lt

Re: TerrainEditor Utility

Post by monster » 2010-12-06 18:15:22

OK, my personal way to flat airports...

- If I don't already have an ELV file, I produce one with ModTerrain (Commands: [x] Export Terrain Components, Components: [e] Elevation Data, LODs: L0). An terrain.e0 file will be produced (the same format as ELV).
- I load this terrain.e0 in order to use TerrainEditor in L0/ELV mode.
- I open the correct te_new.tac in Objective Lab to display the airports on the map. I check the "Show on Map" option and in the options, I select "Draw actual LOD" for more accurate representation.
- While in L0/ELV mode, I correct the elevations on any L0 tile under the airport. For more ease, I use the Elevation Lab.
- When I'm done I save the e0 file (pressing Save while in L0/ELV mode).
- To minimize the errors during transition between Lxs, I produce a Fixed Elevation File (FEF). This will tell ModTerrain (or MakeTerrain) to keep these elevations across the Lxs. To do this, I open the FEF Editor (while in L0/ELV mode), press New (or open if you already started one FEF), press the + button to add a new entry, click on that entry to make it current and select on the map the tiles that my airport is standing on. Repeat from the + button for a new airport etc. I save the FEF.
- To apply the elevation to the theater and for testing, I use ModTerrain. The options are Commands: [e] Import Raw Elevation Data [m] Generate MEA File [n] Fix Normals, LODs: All selected, Elevation File: the .e0 file I edited earlier, Fix Elev. File: Checked and as parameter the FEF I produced earlier. Elevation Method I use the Weighted Interpolation Method (you can use whatever you want) and Max Normal Angle I keep the default (52).

Hope it helps...
East Mediterranean Front (EMF) Developer
http://forum.eastmedfront.net

Fighting Falcon
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Texturing

Post by Fighting Falcon » 2010-12-07 07:21:07

:D yes monster....... very nice.

to solve this very well.

thanks so much for your support .. and I apologize to our questions more ..

rudy.

Gentlemen, at this school you learn to fight, who finished second is not classified.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-08 20:39:15

Luk you can try now to calculate the normals with ModTerrain in AF.
Thanks for the update Monster.
Unfortunaly the fixed terrain is not good (at least for 128 segment theater). The artifacts are visible, shading is wrong.

Luk

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-08 21:42:13

Can you post a screenshot please? Thanks.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-09 08:41:51

Yes of course, I will post some screenshots. I deleted the fixed terrain already yesterday, but made several picts first.
I should post more picts - the problem was not so obvious in dogfight environment in the beginning. In the TE and campaign it looked as ordinary unfixed terrain. When I came back to the dogfight and tried it in various areas - the problem was clearly visible even in dogfight.
I will post the picts as soon as possible.

Luk

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-09 20:07:26

at the beginning I started a dogfight to test fixed terrain
It looked almost fine, but there was something unusual - it was visible especially in motion - Lod changeing was visible due to darker spots flickering...
I started my Kirov tactical engagement then - bad shading was very clear, horizont was "stairy"
I thaught it is worse, because I am more north(the point where East/West germany border meets the coastline)- outside the 64 segment area...
So I moved even more north - to the Scandinavian west coastline
it was still bad
I moved to Italian Po river lowland and started a dogfight there - ok, the horizont is better, but the shadeing is still wrong (despite the picture looks quite clean) - there are still dark spots in foreground
here some more shots - it is more visible the normals are wrong
bad
bad
________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is a sample of lxnormalfixed terrain:
The X1 coloring is much more softened, the shading is really smooth - in motion it is not markable, that the lods are switching
Even in case the weather is more dramatic, the cloudy shadows are soft and "calm":
Around the iron curtain...

Sorry for picture flood - I can delete it all later

I dont know what is wrong. I use the default "52" value and "AF" was checked.
Luk
EDIT: most pictures removed
Last edited by Luk on 2010-12-15 08:07:33, edited 1 time in total.

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-09 21:25:58

I see what you mean and I have an idea what might be wrong. I'll do some testing and I'll let you know.

demer928
Banned user
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by demer928 » 2010-12-12 20:23:19

Nice update.........but I have 2 nagging bug's\issue's in ObjectiveLab.....Sorry :(
#1 Objective Links (not talking "PATH's here)in Falcon are Bi-directional,meaning that when you Link A to B, then you need to "Back" link B to A. Is there a way to do this in CommandLine or can you HardCode it ?
#2 Export\Import Edit's are not working, at least for me, keep getting a Block Error when Importing.

TIA,Still a GREAT Tool as it is and I applaud anyone who take's the TIME\SKILL to update the Tool's !!!

Regard's,
demer
(BTW.......How are those Pesky GU's coming.....HAHAHA..... :mrgreen: )

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-12 22:18:03

Thanks Demer928,

1. Very good observation, I'll include an option to add a link from B to A automatically.

2. Are you talking about "Export Checked" and "Import" buttons? What exactly is the error that you're getting?

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-14 12:59:50

Thanks for the updates Monster. I have used fresh ver 3.2.5 for normal fix and also the newer 3.2.6 few hours later.
I got clean terrain in both cases.
Just a question - did you mod the X1 handeling or the normal code only?(I suppose just the normal calculation and it is good)
The terrain is nice, clean, I can see soft X1 tint. But for example that light blue snow shading/tint(you can see in the last picture) is no more present. I like this tint - can feel the fresh air in the walleys then :D .

What is the recomended setting for AF please.
I have used the default "0 for min", "78.5" for max and AF checked.
The blue tint was visible even in midday before.

Sorry for nitpicker questions, your util is great.
Luk

BTW: Did you locked the patches folder for manual download forever?

EDIT: note - the horizont is sometimes jagged in the campaign and TE. The dgfght is clean. But the same with lxnormal fix. I think it is unsolvable...
Last edited by Luk on 2010-12-14 13:49:57, edited 1 time in total.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-14 13:47:28

I can answer to myself:
RTBM Luk. (B means beautiful)
manual:/[MIN_PHI], ![MAX_PHI]: These switches are used with the [n] command to specify the minimum and maximum phi angles (as described in paragraph 2.4). The range is floats between 0 and 157. When omitted and the above command is specified, the default value are 0 (0 rad ~ 0 deg) and 78.5 (0.785 rad ~ 45 deg). For AF it should be 0 and 157 (90 degrees).

AF: Will normalize the phi values of normals during calculation, in the range 0-255 instead of 0-63 for OF/FF.

Luk

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-14 17:03:48

Actually, I had to change the way that the normals are calculated in AF, because it uses a different phi system than FF/OF. I'll try to explain more about normals, angles and min/max_phi at my wiki, stay tuned about it. Then you should have a better understanding, what ModTerrain does and what min/max_phi values are there for.

A good way to inspect visually the x1,x2 values is this: With ModTerrain, "Extract Terrain Components" and select "Theta-Phi" (the last one) and the LOD(s) you want. After that, open the .xx(0,1,2,3,4,5) with Photoshop (or any other similar program) as raw (8 bit - 2 channels) . There, the first channel should be the theta values and the second the phi values.

Another problem with my method is that, it calculates the normals for every lod from the beginning. What I mean is, for theaters that the most accurate terrain is the L2, when sptinstall calculates the L0 elevation, it just apply the L2's tile elevation to all L0's tiles. So you have pieces of 16 tiles in L0 with the same (or similar) elevation. That's not something against the writer's of any other tool, is just what I've understood by looking at the results. And of course, that's works fine. I suspect that Lxnormalfix, just calculates the normals for L2 and then just "expands" the results to fit in L1 and L0.

Because ModTerrain was made having in mind L0 elevation from the beginning (the highest accuracy that you can have in Falcon - 250 m), it calculates the L0 elevation from the beginning. That causes some "artifacts" in the raw file of L0 that I mentioned before, and that's normal, because, if two tiles have the same elevation, then the phi angle is 0 for OF/FF and 90 degrees for AF. This is visible for sure in Korea AF, where the most accurate elevation is in L2 and L0 elevation is derived from it, where in OF with BAZT's elevation, the most accurate is L0's and L2 is derived from that.

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-14 17:24:57

Sorry, I forgot to reply to the other question. Yes, I've disabled the listing of the patch folder, but if you visit http://programs.sakgiok.gr, you'll find in the downloads section, a link for the latest patch file. I can add the links for the previous patches as well, but the naming is the same, just alter the numbers in the filename and you'll download an older patch (of course I don't have any idea, why you would want to do this... :D ).

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-14 17:52:18

Thanks for reply Monster.
Just a note. I dont know the lxnormalfix code, but from the user perspektive - I think it calculates all levels. It starts to calculate L0 and it takes 4x more time of L1 calculation. Then proceeds to L2,L3,L4 and L5. It is faster and faster and faster and the fastest L5. I thaught in the past, SPTinstall takes L2 elevation, then interpolate L1 and L0 inside L2 tiles/polygons. It means I thaught the elevation is exact the same and lower (L1,L0) level vetrices are placed inside L2 resolution plane and used just for lightening( explosions, missile exhaust) and shading (gouraud I suppose).
When experimented with Htti.exe in the past, I saw the "L0,L1" vertices are not lineary interpolated/extrapolated inside L2 planes. It looked the lower L1,L0 levels are smoothed ( interpolation through bazier curves or something similar). So the L2 pyramid was smoothed into a "blob" or something. It caused object sinking/levitating (I suppose Falcon4 engine counts the Z offset for particular features according to L2 planes(vertices)/tiles/polygons. Another issue was "Palaeozoic look" - everything was a little bit "eroded". (perhaps Htti.exe can be guided via various parameters, but I did not tested them).
The mentioned guided me to use an old SPTinstall despite of its registry dependance.

note - The latest experiments with mountain ABs placed in the dramatic lanscape showed me, the SPTinstall program makes some minor smoothing when caunts L0,L1 lods also. But the result is much more L2 like/derivate (perhaps just L0 edges are "chamfered" a little). That is why the object sinking is very low(or none) then(and just in the "border" area of the tile).

BTW I did normal fixes (0,157 values), but the snow textures are not tinted still. I checked it very fast in 3D.
I know how the X1 values looks exactly (I did it via your MAPeditor using hand made colour bitmap and CATE in the past).
Perhaps I would more saturate the colours if Modterrain used. But ok, it is not important and I will not disturb you with it anymore.

many thanks
Luk

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-17 10:54:58

Hi Monster.
Is it possible to add one column into the Objective Lab window? Between the "Type" and "Object"(rather), or "Object" and "Owner" insert the CtID column please. The problem is - "Object" is just a name. It is not always accesible for F4 AF. Some Objectives are manageable just through CTIDs. Olso the possibility to sort objective's list by CT is VERY helpful.

Future development tip.
And here just a suggestion - what about search function for objectives (like in case of tiles, just without complex patterns).

less needed hint(it is doable by SnakeMans script and can perhaps cause your program CTD):
Olso objective substitutions would be nice I think(change one for another, or range of objectives).

Thanks
Luk
Edit: the search function is not important, if CT ID column added. When objectives sorted by CTID, the user can right click them and locate using "goto selected" function.

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-17 15:34:45

Hi Luk,
The extra column you requested will be in the next update (actually two columns, OCDID and CTID which is OCDID-100).

The objective substitution thing, is a bit more complex to do. This can be done easily though with excel. Just export all the objectives to a csv file, open with excel and do all the modifications you want. Then delete all objectives from ObjectLab and then import the csv file you modified.

Sorry about that but I don't want to mess the code up right now, since it is already complicated enough. :D

Geraki
Recruit

Post by Geraki » 2010-12-19 12:58:06

mod edit: whats the matter with you making post like this?

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2010-12-20 00:51:28

New versions of TerrainEditor, ModTerrain and MakeTerrain.

@Luk: I changed the way that normals are calculated for AF and the default values. Try 61 for min value and 152 for max. If you want darker results for less steep terrain, increase the min value. This is only for AF though, darker results for less steep terrain in OF/FF is done by decreasing the max value.

I have to find some time to make this tutorial about normals, min max values, and MAP palette. It will make a lot of sense. :D

@Geraki: Did I miss something? :D

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-12-20 01:32:54

[v3.2.7]
--------
*Fixed a bug in reading tile names from texture.bin.
*Added Feature: Ability to Export and Import again the entire bin file as text.
*Added Feature: Option when adding a link to automatically insert the opposite link.
*CT# and OCDID were added to the objective list.
*Open tac function in Objective Lab, now starts in the theater's campaign folder.
*Default value for Min_Normal_Value for AF is changed to 61.
*Added right click option to ModTerrain's GUI for the checboxes.

Thank you for the update Monster!

BTW: *Open tac function in Objective Lab, now starts in the theater's campaign folder. WOW!!! excelent change - seriously! :D

Luk

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2010-12-21 00:46:44

monster wrote:New versions of TerrainEditor, ModTerrain and MakeTerrain.

@Luk: I changed the way that normals are calculated for AF and the default values. Try 61 for min value and 152 for max. If you want darker results for less steep terrain, increase the min value. This is only for AF though, darker results for less steep terrain in OF/FF is done by decreasing the max value.

I have to find some time to make this tutorial about normals, min max values, and MAP palette. It will make a lot of sense. :D

@Geraki: Did I miss something? :D
DUDE.....and I Mean DOOOOD!!!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your's as well!!!!!

"*Added Feature: Ability to Export and Import again the entire bin file as text."

UMMM...Let me see.... export .bin as .txt, edit it to your tile's and import it!!!!! Excellent!!!!! Polak should be happy :)

"*Added Feature: Option when adding a link to automatically insert the opposite link"

Thank you,thank you......very nice!!!very happy!!!! :D

Regard's
demer

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-01-13 00:47:23

Again,Thank You for your continued work on THE ULTIMATE FALCON TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep's getting better,M8
demer

FoxThree
Recruit
Editing Interests: Texturing

Post by FoxThree » 2011-01-23 15:37:56

Help me i try to open terrain with terrain editor but response message of
cate.. " Runtime error 9 Index out of range "
there is a file in campaign directory... confilct with terrain :( :(

ok i found !! there is a te_new_tac confict with terrain editor...

Second question .. with this software i can tiles my terrain with tdf file ?

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-01-23 19:48:45

Hi FoxThree,

I'm not sure I understood the error you got and how you solved it exactly, if you can give me more info, I can have TerrainEditor intercept this error with at least an understandable error message and possibly a solution.

For the second part of your question, you can load the tdf files but only for viewing and using them as guidelines for manual tilling. No automated tilling is possible with TerrainEditor at the moment.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-04-10 08:37:30

Hi Monster,
I have a question about terrain components.

What is the correct setting for "Theater.t2" file import into the photoshop (as the raw file)?
This one worked for me(it is for 128 theater - EU, L2 is 2048x2048):
The other setting produced rather noise. This one produced very dark, but clean image. The greyscale range is over 64k grey shades so the dark result is ok IMHO. Just for check purpose, I exposured/brightened the image - and it looked clean. But I am still unsure about the second channel (its just a solid colour) and about "interleaved". On the other hand the different setting does not match the file size...

BTW the E2 file is more "transparent" for me I think. I just set one 16bit channel and everything looks ok.

The purpose of this was to make a composition of two tile-maps (t2 files).
I have an old, but unfinished L2, heavily modified by hand.
Then I have a new and complete CATE-tiled L2 (just slightly handfixed). I want to make a composition of the two files, using a mask.
Here is an image just for illustration(dark areas are old, while the bright area will be the new one):
I composited two T2s as RAW images, then imported into the older L2, using the mod terrain.
But the result is messy. It is not totally noisy and wrong, just "partially" messed(but very bad and unusable!):

I am thinking of it - the old L2 has many hand tiled parts, there are also about 200 handtiled airbases using diferent tile sets. The new one lack the bases, but there are for example Snow2forrest transitions etc... (not used before). So both files use the same bin/zip source, but the representation of tiles in L2 is slightly different.
I know the 16bit grayscale is just a representation of the tile-offset values. I guessed there is a range about 64k values and each tile number has its own greyshade. So I did not expect messy result when mixing the two T2.
How are the values stored in T2? Or is it possible, my problem is caused by wrong setting during the import/export procedure...?

I can try to import/export unmodified but "Photoshop RAWed" T2 back into th L2 and check the result. But I would like to avoid checking both L2s to use exactly same tiles. It would be very time consuming. It is perhaps easier to use Terrain view segment import/export feature (but the aditional fixes - ouch).

Luk
Last edited by Luk on 2011-04-10 10:38:46, edited 1 time in total.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-04-10 09:23:36

just note - there must be something wrong in my conversion process. Even the unmodified, but reversaly converted T2 is messy. So I guess the tile representation does not play the role (sounds logicaly to me).

BTW if previously imported T2 (interleaved) is saved without interleaved, the result is totally wrong (no tiles visible).
If the file is imported as noninterleaved and saved as noninterleaved, the result is messy as in the pictures (it looks "interleaved" does not play the role for result, but play the role for graphic representation....). I dont know, but "interleaved" raw is clean in graphic representation - continents are good positioned, just flipped, you can see tiling. Noninterleaved produces messy graphical representation - continents are overlaping, graphic result is messy.

It looks it is imposible to edit T2 file in the bitmap editor. The second channel is important IMHO - although it shows nothing important at the first sight, it makes the file larger cca 16MB. Tiling image channel is just cca 8MB in size. The second channel is perhaps tile placement or something different, but still important. There is perhaps the solution- to modify T file export in modterrain to possibly produce 2 separated files(for example TL2 + TO2 or something?). The first one would be importable as one channel image and would store just tile numbers....?

Luk

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-04-10 20:20:47

Hi Luk,

try to do the same using Mac Byte order as shown here (both for loading and saving):

For L2 the second channel shouldn't be important because the tile numbers go up only to 4096 (256 sets x 16 tiles max) that needs only 16 bits for storage (the t2 has 32 bits for every tile).

Hope it helps...

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-04-10 20:48:15

Thank you very much for answer Monster!
I will try it. Funny if I had it all the time just in front of my nose... :)

Although I circumvented the problem today, when used the terrainview for compositing (segment import), I am still very interested in T2 handeling. It is because your program is the only solution, if tile movement desired. I tried some segment movement about half year ago and I can say the old utils dont work(at least for 128 segment). I tried it with 2byte and 4 byte terrain, but there was no way...

Thanks
Luk

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-04-10 21:09:33

Just asking... Doesn't import - export functions work for you for tile moving? Export a piece of the theater and then import it at a different position.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-04-10 22:54:06

Doesn't import - export functions work for you for tile moving? Export a piece of the theater and then import it at a different position.
Shame I did not try this function in your program yet. I did my experiments using just old utils and it was rather more than year ago. I just remember that about half year ago, when experimented with 256segment theater. This is also the case, when T2 compositioning is very handy...
Ok, I should try all funtions of your great program. It is better to use an usuall/already discovered "pathway" in most cases...

Luk

Naldo

Post by Naldo » 2011-04-13 19:52:14

Monster did you get my email?

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-04-14 12:45:01

Naldo wrote:Monster did you get my email?
Yes Naldo, finally got it. Thanks.

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-04-19 20:57:45

Hi,Monster,

First,Tanx for the v3.3.0 Update...........BUT,TE is no longer processing\converting the M & L texture's...any idea's?????
I have tried it three ways now:
1.Replace Tile in BIN Editor........NoGo..got the HTile in texture folder........no M\L
2.Delete set and Insert set..........Same as above........
3.Delete set in Bin and delete said .dds from texture folder.Copy and paste new HTile to texture folder.Then insert New set in Bin Editor with said HTile......Same as above???????

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong?????......... :oops:

demer

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-04-19 21:48:44

Hi demer

Thanks for letting me know, it seems that something is wrong with this function. I'll look into this and I'll try and fix it. In the meanwhile, you can create your own M and L tiles, name them accordingly and place them together with the H tile. They should be copied in the folder.

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-04-19 21:59:49

Thanx M8,

I'll wait for your fix man......Batch Processing in PS take's too long......HAHAHA!!!!
Just a heads up though......I do not remember this in previou's version's?!?!?!?!

TIA,
demer

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-04-20 05:46:12

I think I found the bug. Please download TEdds.dll v1.1.9 and unzip it into TerrainEditor folder. The error doesn't happen all the time and is somewhat random, but I was able to reproduce it and locate the problem.

This is a suggested fix for everyone, until v3.3.1 of TerrainEditor is out, in which I'll include this file.

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-04-20 13:48:13

WOW,Thanks Monster! That fixed it :D
And quick too!!!

demer

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-06-11 17:51:32

Monster,or other's,

Is there anyway in the tool to use the L2 Elevation Data when you Make Terrain?????.

Here's the problem I'm having.
If I go through the map and let's say, make all the Coastal tile's all an elevation of 3 feet,using the Search function.The only place that is saved,as far as I can tell is in the L2 file.When I rebuild the Map,the tool use's the Elevation's from the L0 file..and they are reset back to the Original elevation. :cry:
Now,using the FEF editor would be Time consuming, because one has to use the tile coord's to do it. That would mean I would have to edit some 20,000 tile's elevation by hand :evil:
I know in TV you could use the L2 file for your Lx elevation's,maybe I'll go back to that tool and try that??????

TIA,
demer

monster
2nd Lt

Post by monster » 2011-06-12 14:57:59

Hi demer,

IMHO, it's far better to use L0 elevation because of the best resolution you can achieve (250m instead of 1km in L2). That;s the reason I only used L0 elevation in terrain rebuilding. What I'm usually doing is, I extract the L0 elevation as an .elv file with ModTerrain (parameters -x =e #0) and rename the .e0 file to .elv (it's the same format). Another way to get the elv file is to go into L0/ELV mode and load the theater.l0. Then you can press Shift and press Save L0/ELV As... and save your elv file.

After that, I make all the elevation changes to the elv file and not to the L2 file. Then I use that elv file to rebuild the terrain.

If you have all ready made the changes to L2 and you don't want to make them again, the best solution I can think for now is to rebuild the terrain using sptinstall (in order for the elevation to be written to L0) and use the procedure I described above.

Hope it helps.

Sakis.

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-06-12 18:18:08

Hi Monster,
Thanx for the quick reply and advice.
I think I'll try the sptinstall suggestion first and see how that work's. The reason I would like to use the L2 elv's is exactly what you pointed out.(1km vs. 250m) I want to dramatically transition the coast's around the island's in this theater,as I HAD done in Taiwan :twisted: ....hahahaha!!!! Using the L0 file does'nt give me enuff' "Bending" of the Wireframe to accomplish this in the 3D World.

Thank's again for your time and your tool !!!
regard's
demer

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2011-06-15 22:06:12

SPTinstall(Baldeagle's latest, included in FF5.5.2 :wink: ) did the trick..............!!!!!
Had to go back and redo the Fartile's but that's OK. Only take's a minute..HAHAAHA!

Is there anyway you can look at what Julian and Schumi did in TV????????

Let me know via PM.

Tanx,
demer