Changing Pilots' Names

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

max
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Changing Pilots' Names

Post by max » 2009-05-22 01:45:46

Hello all,

I'd like to be able to change the names of pilots in a given squadron, and then assign those pilots to specific planes and missions... sort of a really informal (because I don't have the coding expertise to make anything UI integrated.. ) squadron commander mod - the aim is to give a bit more of a personal feel to managing a squadron by being more emotionally invested in the pilots. All of this in an ongoing campaign.

Is there any way I can do these sorts of things with TacEdit etc?? Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

- Max

P.S. I play off a pretty lowtech laptop so I'm limited to AF =D.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Changing Pilots' Names

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-22 09:17:45

I did search pilot and roster but did not came up with any matches, however I remember there been some pilot editor around. Lets hope someone else knows more about it.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-05-22 11:35:38

I am interested in the same problem. Unfortunetly I have not answer yet :mrgreen:. Falcon4 never has "personal feel" of its predecessor Falcon3. It was almost the same importance for good result - planning a mission (waypoints etc.) and choose proper pilots in 3.0 days. I had favourite fighter pilots in these days, and gave them names of my friends..:)
It was horrible to loose my "number" in combat... :cry:
Luk

edited
P.S. searched PMC forum - here is "manual" procedure:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21452

then searched around web for piloteditor,
original link is dead, but I have tried to check wayback machine -> found it ->I had name of exe, but not file -> google file -> u will find the only 1 website (personal) (and it is not only the exe, but dlls, manuall etc.)
just type "F4PE-1_1ExeOnly.zip" into the google search engine
BTW a lot of utils situated there :D
Luk
Last edited by Luk on 2009-05-22 19:54:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-05-22 14:18:56

Guys,
if the pilot names are in the theater.wch file (korea.wch, vietnam.wch, etc.) as that post says (I don't know this for sure but it seems reasonable as that is where a lot of text information is stored for the campaigns), then you can unpack the .wch file using Fred Baldings "wchfix" (or is it witchfix?) utility that you can download here at PMC in the theatercreator utilites download, then unpack the wch file to a text file and edit to your hearts content in a text editor (notepad.exe, etc). It's simple! :mrgreen:
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-05-22 14:35:51

yes, I think low level methods are allways better, but it seems, pilot editor has some other functions.
here is resurected dead link - in case u have problems to install the util
---------------------------------------------
5 March 2006. (Updated links)
Okay, version 1.1 is ready. This allows you to change the ranking system of all your pilots at the click of a button. Also carries the rank over into Falcon so that your pilot rank will show the new one. Please remember that this can not be used as a cheat, because the logbook will still show the rank images for 2lt., Cpt., Maj. etc. Don’t ask me to change this.
Read the manual online: here
Download the manual: here (160k)
DLL Files: here (922k)
These are needed along with the patches and exe file.
Download the .exe only: here (83.3k)
This will only work if you have previously installed the Pilot Editor. Otherwise, you will need to download the full install and to run setup. Alternatively, you can download this file (922k) and then copy these DLL’s into your Windows\System directory. You will also need the patches below, these are copied into the Pilot Editor application directory.
Download the squadron patches: here (55.1k)
Having problems? Email me at ****** and I’ll try to fix them as soon as possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Luk
(I have edited the post - removed author's e-mail)
Last edited by Luk on 2009-05-22 19:55:13, edited 1 time in total.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-05-22 16:38:35

Luk,

The ranks are probably just text in one of the wch files as well. If so, they can be edited at the same time... :)
Last edited by Snake Man on 2009-05-22 17:39:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote whole post and reply with one line, thats just disrespectful and lazy.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-05-22 21:29:06

probably yes,
but your WitchFix.exe must work :)
I have problem. I can not convert Strings.wch into blank text file.
I got "error opening the idx file".
RedDog had the same problem some time ago
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20165&start=0&st=0 ... t=WitchFix
but no answer there...
Luk

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-05-22 21:35:08

Problem solved. I (and probably RedDog too) have copied my *.wch file to a new directory. I did not copy *.idx file. Now it is ok.
Luk

max

Post by max » 2009-05-27 00:59:45

As far as I can tell, this method simply allows you to change the names of pilots in a squadron.. which is a good first step don't get me wrong.

What about assigning specific pilots to flights/planes? i.e. Jon Smith in the #3 position of flight #645 or something... any idea how to do that?

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-05-27 04:05:04

max wrote:As far as I can tell, this method simply allows you to change the names of pilots in a squadron.. which is a good first step don't get me wrong.

What about assigning specific pilots to flights/planes? i.e. Jon Smith in the #3 position of flight #645 or something... any idea how to do that?
Not possible. Pilot names are assigned to the flights randomly by the .exe and based on experience level of the squadron (versus the rank of the pilots).
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto