LE-Objective Editor : SA-2 site ?

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

LE-Objective Editor : SA-2 site ?

Post by ccc » 2009-04-28 09:43:06

I've little experience with LodEditor-Objective Editor operaiton. So i start this thread for LE-OE discussion.

Recently i tried to repalce a SAM site tile( HFARMD4F.pcx ) and SAM site objective(CT 787) with tweaked tiles and SAM launcher-repositioned data file (*.leo) in FF4/RV, but the test failed / recon view CTD. i've not figured out whether it's tile format bug or leo file replacement bug.. maybe modders working on OF/AF with such experience could share their experience.

the SA-2 site pics like this.. radar at center of site, six launchers on the circular road. the circle, diameter about 147-150 meters according to SAT image.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... cuba_1.jpg
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world ... r-dg-4.jpg
http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=27449

>i roughly draw the circular road on pcx tile, the convert it to dds, replace old one.
>use LE-OE, i roughly re-locate features(FED)- radar and six launchers to correct positions, and export into leo file.
> i tried several versions of LE to import and replace old leo file. some LE version won't work for unknow reason.
> result - no go. i checked the site in 2d map view, use recon function.. just CTD.

hmm.. AFAIR Hannes"Noname" showed a similar work loooooong time ago.. yet that pic does not taken in falcon world, just rendering shot. So, apart from Fred's tweak on Pyramid objective, i wonder if any modder has the experience of creating a brand new, complex objective ( including intergrated, brand new background land tile, new feature items, and new leo file).

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: LE-Objective Editor : SA-2 site ?

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-28 10:25:37

I moved this topic to theater tools as it suits here better than the general area.

I'm looking forward to watch your progress on this one, you have already shown great capability on replacing new 3d models for aircrafts, lets hope you find a method to replace ground objectives as well.

As with all new editing; start with small steps, easier to track down any issues :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-04-28 11:18:40

I did some tweaks to airbases and it worked. We have new taxiways for Aegean and I can get them to work. My only issue is the ZBias issue (which is definitely a showstopper here). Anyway. Put in taxiway, go to Airfield objective, add new taxiway as a feature, and set hangar positions according to the new taxiway. Save Objective. It worked.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-04-28 12:31:04

i checked my tweak again, now the new [ circular SAM-site tile] works. i can see it in the sim, at close distance. no fartile tweak yet. BUT - may leo tweak does not work - the sam launchers positions remain the same, however in LE-OE it shows re-positioned?
I did some tweaks to airbases and it worked. We have new taxiways for Aegean and I can get them to work. My only issue is the ZBias issue (which is definitely a showstopper here).
Zbias issue, did you check existing airbase and try to copy their model layout?
Anyway. Put in taxiway, go to Airfield objective, add new taxiway as a feature, and set hangar positions according to the new taxiway. Save Objective. It worked.
so.. you can chagne the positions of features and show the result in sim, in OF.. hmmm..could you make a circular SA-2 sam site and show ingame screenshot for me? :wink: Last time i tried to edit and create a Pyramid obj, leo tweak failed.. i wonder what going wrong on my side.. or different database?

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-04-28 13:11:09

I'll try to do something tonight.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-04-28 13:46:14

in FF4/RV..

i use LE-OE to move [feature= radar and SAM launcher location ] to new locations, then hit [save]. i checked falcon4.ocd timestamp - it changed, but NO CHANGE in sim! i did it again, the timestamp updated - but nothing happen again.. hmmm.. updated objective fails to show the change in sim - isn't there only one falcon4.ocd file, or i edited the wrong one?

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-04-28 17:16:16

Are you editing the correct objective used in Tactical Editor?

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-04-28 20:25:43

Tried. Sam launchers seem to obey my position changes. Support trucks etc are not. It's not the exact result I Imagined. For airbases or other objectives, you can do anything you want with feature adding and moving. But I worked on the 24E SAM SITE, had some results, but not exact. I'll keep trying.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-04-29 02:15:50

Are you editing the correct objective used in Tactical Editor?
i checked it again and again to ensure i am not working on the wrong file. but it seems i was - in LE-OE i saw the position changed, in sim it wasn't.

what's your LE version?
Tried. Sam launchers seem to obey my position changes. Support trucks etc are not. It's not the exact result I Imagined. For airbases or other objectives, you can do anything you want with feature adding and moving. But I worked on the 24E SAM SITE, had some results, but not exact. I'll keep trying.
if the SAM battalion has more vehicles than slot numbers in SAM site objective, extra vehicles won't be placed as designed. what i concerned most is the SAM launcher locations, the rest slots can be added later.

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-04-29 05:29:08

6.23 I Guess.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-04-29 07:39:10

yes i've tried 6.23 and higher too.

my observation -
-when i use LE-OE( any version!) on FF3 database, it can open the [CT787 Sam site objective] without a glitch.

-when i tried to open the same obj in FF4/RV database, earlier LE-OE won't work. only 6.23 and higher can open, and it first shows a popup notice : [ LOD number error ], i hit [ ok], then the obj file opened and editable.

hmm.. it could be DB issue.. i think OF DB is close to old SP4 DB, so you can edit it without problem. Fred probably have not updated [OE part] for long time..

BaldEagle
FreeFalcon

Post by BaldEagle » 2009-04-29 14:45:40

The LE-OE works on Falcon4.ocd, Falcon4.fed, Falcon4.phd and Flacon4.pd. If you have the Preference "Use Falcon4tree files" selected, the Falcon4tree.ocd, Falcon4tree.fed are edited. FYI, these files hold the info about the Features including the model Parent number. Thus, the .leo does not contain the Feature models just their Parent #, so the .leo files are portable to other Falcon4 versions, with some exceptions.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-04-29 15:29:14

thanx Fred.. tho i still don't understand it completely.

when i [have the Preference "Use Falcon4tree files" selected], i edit the feature locations, exit, and re-enter LE-OE to check, i found - no change! the timestamp of falcon4tree.ocd /fed is updated, but nothing changed.

instead, i unticked " Use Falcon4tree files", i edit, exit, and re-enter, i found those edits are still there.

so - even i selected "Use Falcon4tree files", the content of falcon4tree.ocd/fed not touched! i tested it with 6.23 and 7.16.

btw the warning massage is " invalid lod number reached", when i load the obj to edit.