Tac Edit woes

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake122
Recruit

Tac Edit woes

Post by Snake122 » 2002-10-09 20:01:00

I've been getting a message of "Warning-objectives in this file as well as base file" and then "Duplicate ID x Objectivw origina; in original in objectives" whenever I open my Nevada base TE. It seems that all 1000 or so objectives as this dupilcation. How can I fix this?

I also noticed at least 3 airbases and just about all of the towns that I CANNOT rename!!! I've finished the improved placement of the Nevada theather and named all but a few of the airfields but I seem to now be stuck with names. This combination of problems is stopping me from working on my Red Flag TE. Please help!

Cooler69
2nd Lt

Re: Tac Edit woes

Post by Cooler69 » 2002-10-10 09:15:00

I get this occasionally, though I have still to track down the exact cause.

Correcting it is possible, though a bit hit and miss.

If you have an earler version of the base TE that does not have the duplicates, use the Export Objective functions to output your objectives to a .csv file. If you don't have a backup, you may need to reply to all the warnings, though sometimes changing the extension of the file results in none of the warning messages being displayed, even if your file has duplicates.

After you have exported the objectives, delete all the objectives and save the file immediately. I have found that quite often the Save button does not work properly so I always use File -> Save. Even then, it sometimes doesn't work unless you close Tacedit immediately after saving.

If you need to remove duplicates from your .csv file, you can do that either manually or with a macro in Excel, or a find-duplicates query in Access if you know how to use it.

Use the Import Objectives function to import your .csv file that has no duplicates.

Like I said, it is a bit hit and miss, so you will need to make plenty of backups. When I am designing campaigns, I make sure to backup every half hour or less if I am doing lots of work.

Good luck!
Cooler
F4UT Dev Member - Voice Group

Snake122
Recruit

Post by Snake122 » 2002-10-10 21:44:00

Thanks! How about my naming problem, will this fix it?

Also thanks to whoever moved this thread! Sorry for posting in the wrong part, I had a big Homer Simpson D'oh after I noticed it.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2002-10-11 03:06:00

Are you talking about the Nevada I did from scratch for ComGP?

The error you get seems like serious one, meaning the files have been porked big time.

Can you talk as through of the exact situation with the Nevada files please.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake122
Recruit

Post by Snake122 » 2002-10-11 05:15:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake Man:
Are you talking about the Nevada I did from scratch for ComGP?

The error you get seems like serious one, meaning the files have been porked big time.

Can you talk as through of the exact situation with the Nevada files please.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
No these are my updated files. They include "better" airbase placement and runway allignment, added actual Red Flag range objects (factories, power plants, tanks, simulated airbases, and sams), subtracted a few airports that are closed and added a few not in the original object placement. This is all done over one of the Alhpa or early closed Beta releases so if Com_Gp has been using yours that long then I'm basically using your city placement. The airports have all been tweaked from FAA maps and info. I've put alot of work into it!!! I know I have a file on my old hard drive that wouldn't give me the duplicate warning, but it still has the name problem. I hope I can change them. The names are probably 1/4 of my work so far.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-10-11 11:56:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake122:
This is all done over one of the Alhpa or early closed Beta releases
Thats old version and not used anymore. The real Nevada theater can be downloaded from our dl page here.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake122
Recruit

Post by Snake122 » 2002-10-11 14:07:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake Man:
Thats old version and not used anymore. The real Nevada theater can be downloaded from our dl page here.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Hehe yeah, I know I've downloaded it, I've just been working on this object placement for that long. It involves moving airfield in proper relation to roads and other objects so that VFR charts could be used and looking up each airports runway length and layout and selecting a Falcon 4 airbase that is similar to it. The latest beta just has all of the same style airbase. If I can't get my stuff to work then I'll work off your base TE and change the airports from there if that's ok with you. I was on the team, but I haven't heard from Com_GP in a long time, so I'm developing this and I'm going to send it to him to see if he wants it to be official.

Snake122
Recruit

Post by Snake122 » 2002-10-11 19:53:00

LOL, now is see what you where hinting at Snake Man, the whole theather has been shifted to make Nells more in the center! It looks like I'm going to have to use yours anyway! Is there anything I should know about your te_new.tac? I just plan on updating the runway layouts, take out any closed airfields, add a few that aren't there, add real TACANs and freqs, and add the Red Flag targets. I may name more of the unnamed objectives. I won't move any because that took tons of time and then the terrain would have to be releveled for my new placement. Will changing the airbase type affect the air base being level? Also if you still have them, could you please send me the new .tdf files to make new .bmps? snake122@f-16.org Thanks!

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-23 09:15:20

I am doing a quick and dirt prototype for our theater, and I am stuck with this same problem.

I have made backups every now and then, and my last two or three I am unable to open them without this error. It's a pity because I have made plenty of links in there.

Is there a way to repair them? I think every time I saved a cam, I tried to load it and it worked.. why not anymore?

Apart from that, is there a way to make graphically parent links and or parent ids?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-23 10:33:31

I havent gotten this error during my long tacedit usage history, so basically I dont know what to say.

PMC since 1984

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-23 11:40:41

My first question seems related to the location of the file, or the saved name in the campaign tacedit window. If I open a backup in the backup folder, don't do anything, save, and then try to open again, the error jumps sometimes. If I copy the backup to campaign\theater, rename to save0.cam open, nothing, save, open again, no error. Perhaps this is why you haven't got the problem before.

About my second question... do I have to manually edit the Parent ID for each objective in my theater? :(

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-23 12:13:49

If I understood you correctly, I'd highly advice against opening cam files on different dirs than the properties setting currently shows.

You can reset parents just by choosing that option from the menu, Objectives -> Reset Parents.

PMC since 1984

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-23 12:56:57

You can reset parents just by choosing that option from the menu, Objectives -> Reset Parents.
Yes, I do it. I follow the tutorial to the letter, but this is not allowing me to Build the Pak Map, so I am following Sherlock's advice and setting a Parent ID for every objective (not only secondary cities). When I tick Show PAK Map in TacEdit all I see is white background. I think I will have to make that long process