Small Panama Working (sorta)

Panama theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Malc
Lt Colonel

Small Panama Working (sorta)

Post by Malc » 2002-09-04 20:13:00

Here is the new proposed Panama Theater area of play.

It is exactly as it says - Panama. Those familiar with Falcon3.0 Panama will see it covers virtually the same area.

It is 200 miles by 200 miles, and should make for compact exciting campaign scenarios, with minimum flight time to FLOT, etc.

Here is the first screen from the new theater. It is the Canal looking North. In the distance is the Port of Colon, and Enrique Adolfo Jimenez Airbase to left of that. Panama City is behind the plane to the South.

Time allowing, I hope to eventually replace the majority of the Korea tiles with new 512*512 custom tiles... hopefully one day. For now, I'll settle for a fully tiled theater.

Now the question... I have been able to get the .L* and .O* in okay, but it only occupys the bottom left quarter of the 64 square map. Is there something I have to change?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Small Panama Working (sorta)

Post by Snake Man » 2002-09-04 23:20:00

Interesting. Did you use CATE to tile?

I have no experience with the 32 x 32 theater size (if thats the size?).

Do you mean SPTinstall builds 64 theater and places the terrain on bottom left corner?

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2002-09-05 05:00:00

nice layout. how about center the map on canal? few more water space on top side for carrier/amphibious group maneuvering.

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2002-09-05 06:27:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake Man:
Interesting. Did you use CATE to tile?
Not CATE - The tiling is a load of imports from stuff I have done on previous maps, with some manual touching up. You may remember the original Panama beta we made? Much of the work, but not all, came from that.
quote:
I have no experience with the 32 x 32 theater size (if thats the size?).

Do you mean SPTinstall builds 64 theater and places the terrain on bottom left corner?
The theater is 32 x 32 using Julian's coverter (which is excellent).

Because I haven't any suitable maps or anything else, I wasn't able to change them yet in F4SP, so using the original Korea backdrop, I went into create a new TE and to begin with thought it hadn't worked. Done a dozen or so recons before I found it. Imagine a 64 x 64 map split evenly into 4, the 32 x 32 occupies the bottom left quarter.

I don't know if its a TInstall problem or what, but I would like to be able to work out what's wrong. I don't think a 32 x 32 is viable with it not working correctly... and I STILL want to create this theater, despite everything.

Maybe Codec can advise? I believe he is responsible for TInstall?

Fred Balding set me straight on the LODFixer, I had this as a 2-byte theatre, obviously 4-byte is the way to go... so again - THANKS FRED! :)

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2002-09-05 06:28:00

quote:Originally posted by ccc:
nice layout. how about center the map on canal? few more water space on top side for carrier/amphibious group maneuvering.

Thats should be easily achievable!

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2002-09-11 12:09:00

Rather than having a 32x32 theater, couldn't you increase the tile resolution so it's 64x64 (but covering the same area)?
Isn't this technique used in Iceland?

[of course it might require re-tiling (with CATE?), tho]

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2003-01-09 07:36:00

Yesterday Codec made me do it so I tested the 32 segment theater on IA, TE and Campaign... all worked good.

The background TE/Camp RSC image was still the 64 or was it 128 theaters but the action occurred just beautifully.

It might be that there are some fine details that go wrong when someone builds full 32 segment theater, but in generally its totally possible to do that size as I proved yesterday.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2003-01-09 20:13:00

The planning map is indeed 64 segment size. In fact, as I recall, that's the only real problem with the smaller theater... when 32*32 the UI doesn't recognise the smaller size of 512*512 reference, otherwise everything would have been rosey.

To get round it, Panama is now a 64 theater, but only the central 32*32 was tiled (or not if truth be told). If it was a fully tiled 32 theater (ie EVERYTHING was land) there would still be a 16 wide border of water all the way around.

The way I done it is a good compromise I feel. Should be no compatibility issues at all in fact! :)