Upcoming v0.5 release

Europe theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Upcoming v0.5 release

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-24 16:22:53

Upcoming v0.5 release things.

I decided that I try to do all the remaining linking for the whole theater before releasing v0.5 which will take several days I belive by looking at my current progress. I have now completely linked Ireland and England.

I already fixed the CATE airbase config for korea tileset, what I've found by looking in terrainview and ingame that only one airbase has some offset problem, then of course by the limited tile-set some forest airbases are put on farmland tiles, but dunno what good compromise to them would be. Anyways what I mean is I'm very happy with the airbase tiling at the moment.

Then there is the UI, I have already dropped in my template's for RV, OF and AF but dunno if it would be good idea to let some real UI/art guy to take a look at them before release. So Couby? Sherlock? and anyone for RV? Dunno, please let me know if any of you are interested.

Database is pretty much set in the limited knowledge of mine, the most famous "future weapons" has been removed from the 1985 database, its pretty nice, F16's dropping dumb bombs and such. Database is done for RV + AF, I have not touched OF...

I'll post more when I get more ideas. But at the moment my goals are; linking whole theater before release, setting basic UI and the 1985 database.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-24 17:52:34

Sure I'll take a look at the AF UI stuff. How do you want to do this? I'll need a pointer to a (hopefully) AF oriented install package if I do. I don't have Europe loaded at the moment. I guess as a backup I could install it for SP4 since I do also have that loaded.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-25 04:38:39

Hmm, yeah I could make a alpha version of v0.5 for you and Couby or anyone else interested on the real editing. But I think that if I just rar up the directories of the art files, you can use any 128 theater as placeholder to check the SCF (which are copied from Iran I recall) and tweak the rsc contents if necessary.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-04-26 09:36:25

Hi SM,

Ive always been interested in battle of britain and amazed at the air war between occupied europe and england back in the good ol days... :)

Been watching my old world at war collection and BOB was prolly one of the most explosive air scenarios of the time...

UK was outnumbered 5 to 1 but hammered luftwaffe forces with kill ratio of 2 to 1 with spits and hurris while under massive bombardment and running low on supplies...

Would love to make a modern day BOB scenario with RAF UK against all of europe using /Typhhon, Tornado, Jaguar, Harrier ect ect.

About a year ago i redone Europe SAVE1.CAM and using Tacedit with the browser i made a scenario where UK gets attacked by Germany, Spain, France, and basically rest of europe but based on a hypothetical 2010 war.

Wondered if i could also get a look at this alpha version with links fixed as i would like to add this scenario as 1 of the campaigns and see what you guys think of it.

This really works best in AF because troops and units can be transported to europe (south of france)along with sams ect using new AF code and also add package allows for UK to retaliate using air power.

So far ive flown this cam and won about three times and its a fantastic defensive offensive scenario as unlike WW2 UK can now bomb the bejesus outta europe using Typhoons ect and tankers for refuelling.

USAF has 2 carriers based at irish sea and south of france to lend support so players can also fly honets and tomcats (This is to even out the onslought of UK from massive air attack at start of cam/Day one)...

Would be great to see this in RV and OF as well for all the euro fliers :)

Will you let me know about the alpha release as i would like to redo the whole campaign using your fixed links and maybe we could test this scenario and see what its like.

Its got some amazing BVR engagements on first 2/3 days between Raf Typhoons and German Eurofighters over the english channel :shock: :D

Chow for now...

Oops,

Just wanted to add that this cam would be awesome in RV and OF because both flavours feature a bigger database of airframes in particular French RAFALE and many other european fighters(AF does not have these euro airframes :twisted: ) which is unfortunate as it would be great to go Typhoon against Rafaele...

RV can also use AN72 for dropping special forces into UK which would also add to the challenge :)

Anyways chat soon...

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-27 07:44:19

Now the whole europe NATO side is linked, I just started linking Norway. I'm still focusing and hoping I can manage to link the whole theater for v0.5 release (meaning it wont take too long). Its funny, in this theater there is "alot" of water, however there is about twice as much objects as other theaters (was it like 16,000+) so linking definitely takes some time. Also tacedit responses are bit more slower, its not lagging really, but... its someway slower. Also it seems to slow down my computer while doing something else on the background like opening new programs etc, which it never did in theater with less objectives. Not really a problem, but just an observation. Europe is big damn theater objective wise. I have no ETA when the linking would be complete, it depends a bit, its been slow on some day(s) but then again as of right now the linking queue peaked pretty close to 700. What I'm saying is, I'm not doing this in 24h crazy mode right now.

Phoenix, yes we can add your campaign, but in that scenario we need to paint the "NATO Europe" to red, which is not a big deal. I would also like to see that kind of campaign.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-28 01:03:05

Now Norway & Sweden is linked... uhm I mean its linking at the moment, if I'd get power failure now I would probably kill myself, 1029 links queued :o

Luckily my AMD 2800+, 1gb ram computes the links quite rapidly, in many cases it keeps up with me when I'm doing just few of them.

So as said before, now the last remaining task lays ahead, the commie Warsaw Pact enemy objective linking. Thats pretty much the same amount I've done so far, so heh depressingly I'm at 50% done with the linking uuh :)

Anyways I'm happy with the progress, cant wait to start campaign with the whole theater linked. As I've always said the linking is very very important (and time consuming task to edit) in any theater, the completely linked theater beats any other part of theater area, no matter how good your campaign or tiles are, they matter squat if you got no links.

I want to put out the directory template for the UI for you guys to check upon, even if its just to verify by extra pair of eyes that everything is in order, and of course you can just drop it into any 128 theater to see how it looks. The private developer alpha version would be the next when the linking is done, but I think the first UI check would be great to be done before that. Download the UI template here - 6.8mb. This is mainly for Sherlock to do the AF UI and Couby to check the OF UI, and for anyone else who wants to do something for the RV UI which is basically missing now. I have included the original theater map bitmaps into the rar root so if you want to remake the UI images with them. Btw this rar is not the full theater, its just couple of control and graphic files (for anyone who doesn't have a clue and wants to play Europe theater).

How the rar works is that in the root you have the three bitmaps for development use if necessary, then there is the art/ dir, there is subdirs art-AF/, art-OF/ and art-RV/ for specific F4 versions, the installer copies the art/art/main/ and art/art/resource/ directorys first into theater dir, then for which F4 version the user is using the installer copies the stuff from art-AF/ subdir for AF and so on. Basically in the art/art/ main dir there is the theater.irc file and the campmap + select rsc files which are same for all F4 versions. Hope thats clear for use, if not, ask specific questions and I'll try to describe the system better.

PMC since 1984

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-04-28 09:03:14

LOL :D

At last europe gets a look in :)

A question: Can red ground forces be somehow made to land in UK if france, germany, ect gain air superiority :?:

In my current campaign in RV (korea 2005) i just noticed season airbase has fallen to red ground troops airlifted in by AN72 :)

However in OF and AF it seems that groundtroops cant be made "Island hop" so objectives such as London ect cant be taken and cam from red side cant be won :(

Any workaround for this or can F4 AI take islands :?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-29 07:04:26

Europe linking is now complete, hooyah!

What a bitch that was, it even had one of those latvia/lithuania countries objectives doubled due the Dem2terrain bug of double loading a same features set (I believe same bug was/is on Iran theater but I hopefully fixed it). The last push was pretty much all through saturday evening and night of linking, man that was a tough job.

I added the two nuke plants to finland, but still need to find the rest of europe. Basically the whole theater is missing the special objectives now.

Now I want to upgrade all the campaigns to use these new linked objectives, then some testing that all run at least without CTD (hopefully also in exit) and after that it is pretty much on the condition of release.

Guys we need to do the UI tweaking semi quickly now, any word from the template rar I put up earlier?

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-29 09:43:22

PMC since 1984

Luk
Brig. General

Frontline

Post by Luk » 2007-04-29 12:04:16

Hi Snake Man,
good job.
Did the Red forces start the war? I think the West/East Germany border is moved west. Is it on purpose?
There is an image I made by hand - objectives + geography blended together and West/East Germany border - green:
http://members.upc.cz/francek/Eurowar/e ... ntline.jpg

I think Wolfsburg, Salzgitter, Gottingen, Kassel and Fulda Cities were in West part of Germany (before :).

Luk

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-29 15:10:23

I have no idea, the team coloring was made germany full in red or something like that. I'm open to suggestions for better team coloring/country borders setup.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-30 00:39:02

Okay guys, the basic editing is done now. Right now I'm making the installer and testing that all campaigns run okay. When thats done, we are good to go for release.

If by any chance there is some stuff that needs to be added (like UIs for example), now is the time to send it to me.

PMC since 1984

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-04-30 06:04:00

Snake Man wrote:Okay guys, the basic editing is done now. Right now I'm making the installer and testing that all campaigns run okay. When thats done, we are good to go for release.

If by any chance there is some stuff that needs to be added (like UIs for example), now is the time to send it to me.
Cool...Did you implement the correct OOB for 1985? I have a link and it is based on the OOB of 1989:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37695/NATO-Or ... attle-1989

PS:An awful lot of squadrons...

8) :)

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2007-04-30 08:32:37

Wow! Amazing! I think it is very useful!

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-04-30 14:41:13

Huh,

The snakeman does not fuck about :lol:

Jeez :shock:

Cant wait to get the fixed cam files so i can continue with my work on modern day BOB...

Got 12 Typhoon sqrns based in uk and 3 in north of ireland for reserve defence, USAF sends in three carriers to support britain but tomcats get eaten alive by german eurofighters... OUCH :D (within the first hours :) )

Great to at last have a theater that represents the homeground of the best multirole fighter in the world and see her defend her own airspace in the F4 world. :D :D :D

Started designing this cam in SP4 mainly but moved on to OF and AF versions as well and in OF this scenario really rocks cause database is bigger, UK typhoon\Tornado going at it against mirage\Rafaele\Gripen etc
over english channel.

Meteors and magics all over the place 8)

Baha,
You are the man uncle snakey :lol:

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-30 15:05:48

Snake Man wrote:Okay guys, the basic editing is done now. Right now I'm making the installer and testing that all campaigns run okay. When thats done, we are good to go for release.

SM,
I'll be sure to let you know on the AF UI stuff today. I've got it downloaded so all I need to do is drop it in and fire up AF and look about.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-30 16:25:25

Something came up. It needs more investigating, but at the moment RV wont run the campaign, after I go through campaign start button it just CTD's on me. AF runs okay 2d and I can fly around in 3d for long time, perhaps like 15-30min about but then I have twice gotten some buffer overrun error, it wont CTD but the visual studio (or something) dev error comes up like that.

Is it the links? perhaps... when I deleted ALL bridges (like freaking 7000+) and their links, RV will run the campaign in 2d and I can fly around in 3d no problems.

This is too early to say whats the ultimate cause, needs more testing. But right now were set back a bit.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Comments on AF version of UI screens

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-30 16:30:40

Ok, I loaded up the UI files in AF and this is what I found:

Instant Action:

Comments on IA: Looks okay other than map looks a little washed out color wise. Also, what is causing the gray/black coloring along the north part of the Europe landmass and England's east side?

Dogfight:

Comments on DG: Looks okay other than map looks a little washed out color wise.

Tactical Engagement:

Comments on TE: Looks okay other than map looks a little washed out color wise.

Campaign:

Comments on Campaign:

1. Obviously the order on the scenario buttons needs to be redone.

2. The color (green) of the scenario buttons are in the SP-like theme and not the AF-like theme. (Minor problem).

3. The design of the scenario buttons do not call out the name of the scenario like other AF campaign scenarios; in this matter they are again like the older SP style buttons and not like other AF campaign scenario buttons (e.g., Balkans, Korea, Iran--Tiger Spirit, Iron Fortress, PowderKeg, Balance of Power, Persian Lightning, Hammerfall, etc.). I think we need to stick to the standard so the theaters we produce come out looking "retail-like" in the UI of AF. Thoughts?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-30 16:33:40

Snake Man wrote:Something came up. It needs more investigating, but at the moment RV wont run the campaign, after I go through campaign start button it just CTD's on me. AF runs okay 2d and I can fly around in 3d for long time, perhaps like 15-30min about but then I have twice gotten some buffer overrun error, it wont CTD but the visual studio (or something) dev error comes up like that.

Is it the links? perhaps... when I deleted ALL bridges (like freaking 7000+) and their links, RV will run the campaign in 2d and I can fly around in 3d no problems.

This is too early to say whats the ultimate cause, needs more testing. But right now were set back a bit.
You might also want to recheck if there is a mis-match between the texture.bin and Texture.zip for the AF side. The symptoms you describe occurred in ODS when we had a missing tile called out in the texture.bin that wasn't in the texture.zip.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: Comments on AF version of UI screens

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-30 16:46:17

Sherlock wrote:Looks okay other than map looks a little washed out color wise. Also, what is causing the gray/black coloring along the north part of the Europe landmass and England's east side?
No idea, I was thinking it was some 8bit/16bit difference from the SP4 times to AF, you see the same on the campaign buttons. No idea really.
1. Obviously the order on the scenario buttons needs to be redone.
I dont think the numbers ever represented any order, Terry just made them that way. If they had some order they would have to be 0, 1 and 2.
2. The color (green) of the scenario buttons are in the SP-like theme and not the AF-like theme. (Minor problem).
Well I could have included the nice green tone menu background picture too but that would have been too drastic to the overall AF UI.
3. The design of the scenario buttons do not call out the name of the scenario like other AF campaign scenarios
There is no name for the campaigns.
I think we need to stick to the standard so the theaters we produce come out looking "retail-like" in the UI of AF. Thoughts?
Sure. So we need three european campaign names, or six... I think three is enough, three names for both eras 1985 and present time since they are the same campaigns really just with different loadouts or perhaps one or two aircrafts (F15E for example).

PMC since 1984

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2007-04-30 18:37:54

I have some questions:

1. When the theater will be done can be modify with Tacedit?

2. Will be the database separete from the original?

3. Bigstone posted here and interesting link from the OOB. Will be used for the sim?

4. How controls the game engine the reinforcements? Can you make it that squandrons arrive in the later states of the campaign? How? I want to learn this.

5. Ground forces? I think need more than 10000 veichles.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-30 18:42:26

molnibalage wrote:I have some questions:

3. Bigstone posted here and interesting link from the OOB. Will be used for the sim?

4. How controls the game engine the reinforcements? Can you make it that squandrons arrive in the later states of the campaign? How? I want to learn this.

1. Yes
2. Snake Man has already said yes to this question.
3. Probably (to one extent or another), but Europe still needs a PERSON to shepard it along and do this detail work. (hint, hint)
4. Reinforcements are setup in TacEdit based on the number of hours from campaign start until their appearance in sim. You must familarize yourself with TacEdit to be able to do this.
5. There is a sim limit to the number of ground units that can be placed into the sim. I will try to find what those numbers are again and post them here.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-30 18:46:16

Sherlock wrote:You might also want to recheck if there is a mis-match between the texture.bin and Texture.zip for the AF side. The symptoms you describe occurred in ODS when we had a missing tile called out in the texture.bin that wasn't in the texture.zip.
Negative on that, I used the RV texture.bin/zip and fartiles.pal which I assume are the original F4 ones and still I got the same error, in fact its this:

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-01 16:13:20

Yesterday pretty much all day and through the night I was flying the middle campaign with bridges removed in RV, it worked like charm. I'm pissed that the days worth of linking is causing the RV to crash on campaign start and most likely will cause that buffer overrun on AF.

Anyways. When I was flying I went with F16 mostly, but did tests on F15E, B-1B, A-7E and Tornado. I loved tornado with the bl... something cluster bombs, napalm on A-7E wasn't bad either. Had some problems with SAM's, but after major ones were knocked out it was cool to go after the targets and other ground units.

I was totally lost in time when playing, suddently occured to me that damn its noon the next day and I'm still flying, hehe. Well the theater works ok so far (besides the initial bridge/link issue), if I cannot fix the mentioned issue... I guess one compromise is to release it without bridges.

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-05-01 16:36:44

great job.

imho eurpean theater still need some bridges - let european natives bring up a shorter bridge list, of strategic or tacitical significance...sometimes NATO should blow up them to slow down red army advance.

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2007-05-01 17:21:39

Snake Man wrote:Negative on that, I used the RV texture.bin/zip and fartiles.pal which I assume are the original F4 ones and still I got the same error, in fact its this:

img]http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/tmp/buffer_overrun.jpg[/img]
Snakeman,

I had similar issues with Panama in AF and remember it was weather-related. I'm pretty sure this is caused by incompatabilities in the TOD.LST.DEFAULT and only got rid of it by using either the default Korea or Balkans one.

Regards,
Malc

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-01 17:31:40

ccc wrote:let european natives bring up a shorter bridge list, of strategic or tacitical significance...sometimes NATO should blow up them to slow down red army advance.
Wonder if we could use the Seifers feature editor to tweak the rivers, hmm worth to try.

Yeah, anyone interested to create list of important bridges?
Malc wrote:I'm pretty sure this is caused by incompatabilities in the TOD.LST.DEFAULT and only got rid of it by using either the default Korea or Balkans one.
The installer copies over the terrdata\korea\weather\ directory with its sub dirs. I rechecked it just now, its copied properly.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-01 18:46:05

Sherlock wrote:
molnibalage wrote:I have some questions:

1. Yes
2. Snake Man has already said yes to this question.
3. Probably (to one extent or another), but Europe still needs a PERSON to shepard it along and do this detail work. (hint, hint)
4. Reinforcements are setup in TacEdit based on the number of hours from campaign start until their appearance in sim. You must familarize yourself with TacEdit to be able to do this.
5. There is a sim limit to the number of ground units that can be placed into the sim. I will try to find what those numbers are again and post them here.
Here's the answer to question #5:

Code: Select all

#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_OBJECTIVES		8000
#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_UNITS				4000	// Max # of NON volitile units only
#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_VOLITILE_UNITS	16000
#define MAX_CAMP_ENTITIES				(MAX_NUMBER_OF_OBJECTIVES+MAX_NUMBER_OF_UNITS+MAX_NUMBER_OF_VOLITILE_UNITS)
Note this is from the SP3 source code (Camplib.h module file). I don't know if the values were changed (increased?) in RV, AF or OF. I don't have the source code for those...
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-01 21:02:24

That cant be right anymore, here is our stats.

Afghanistan: 11,393 objects, 2546 units.
Europe (working): 7857 objects, 664 units.
ODS: 8,515 objects, 1233 units.
Iran: 7564 objects, 916 units.
Korea128: 5480 objects, 661 units.
Vietnam: 8012 objects, 783 units.

So if we look the object count, Afghanistan, ODS and Vietnam should not work in that case.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-01 21:47:05

Snake Man wrote:That cant be right anymore, here is our stats.

Afghanistan: 11,393 objects, 2546 units.
Europe (working): 7857 objects, 664 units.
ODS: 8,515 objects, 1233 units.
Iran: 7564 objects, 916 units.
Korea128: 5480 objects, 661 units.
Vietnam: 8012 objects, 783 units.

So if we look the object count, Afghanistan, ODS and Vietnam should not work in that case.
I agree with you that the empirical evidence (as presented in your stats above) would indicate that the SP3 values are no longer valid for any of the current exes (OF, AF and RV) but I have no information on RV, OF or AF as to whether they increased these numbers (or not) AND I am not a C++ programmer so the "tightness" or "explicitness" of these numbers being the end-all-be-all for the upper limits is not something I can say absolutely even for the SP3 code. Not enough information at this point...and the SP3 code is all the information I have.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-02 07:21:18

Little bit of bad news, I removed the bridges+their links in AF campaign, fired up 3d flying and about 15minutes into the flight same buffer overrun error :(

Maybe I've been editing too long in one stretch and I'm missing something here... its just that I cant understand whats wrong in the campaign.

I was thinking about putting all the latest files together and release the v0.5 in "alpha / preview" state, which would mean absolutely and 100% no public posting about it as it would be only a preview version for all the hardcore theater geeks out here. I would hate to get stuck with this problem like this delaying the release. Who knows, some of you might catch something I overlooked/missed.

So what would be broken in this preview? Well no bridges for RV/OF and AF getting the buffer overrun (ie CTD) 15mins into 3d flying.

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-05-02 10:22:58

Snake Man wrote:
ccc wrote:let european natives bring up a shorter bridge list, of strategic or tacitical significance...sometimes NATO should blow up them to slow down red army advance.
Yeah, anyone interested to create list of important bridges?
this subject deserve a new thread - [ European simmers - please help listing bridges of military significance ], for better collecting info.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-02 15:33:50

Snake Man,
Have you tried already exporting objectives and units, going to a "clean" save0.cam file with nothing in it (previously saved), and re-importing the objectives and units, then going through the objective clean-up process you discovered a couple of weeks ago and the check units process?

Just checking just in case you haven't tried this...it sometimes has worked for me to clear up campaign problems.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-05-02 17:11:36

Snake Man wrote:
Sherlock wrote:You might also want to recheck if there is a mis-match between the texture.bin and Texture.zip for the AF side. The symptoms you describe occurred in ODS when we had a missing tile called out in the texture.bin that wasn't in the texture.zip.
Negative on that, I used the RV texture.bin/zip and fartiles.pal which I assume are the original F4 ones and still I got the same error, in fact its this:

img]http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/tmp/buffer_overrun.jpg[/img]
OK,

When we were converting ODS for AF "At very early stage"we definitely got this runtime error but im damned if i can remember the cause or how we got it fixed,Now i think this was before sherlock joined the team so he may not have seen it but as far as i can remember it was to do with a memory leak due to having too many sqrns per airbase\or too many objectives :?

Will check back over ODS notes and see if i wrote it down somewhere...

Bridges,

Agreed bridges are needed to slow red advance but remember in OF and FF we dont have ground control capability or airlift options and with bridges busted allies will or may not advance forward,This is no prob in AF cause units can be manualy sent forward to take objectives but in OF\FF units in this theater are hard to get moving.(just saying before we delete them).

That said if multiple bridges must be deleted then it should be possible using high detail map to see which would be of importance from a military commanders point of view.

However i would seriously think about leaving them as it can completely fuck up any offensive action the player may take halfway through the campaign... :shock:

IMO even bombing them in sim should be a nono until some way is found to make ground units advance,and for last year i have had this problem with battle of britain scenario im working on for europe whereby red forces cannot cross 8 mile stretch of channel between uk and france...

Would love to see red forces march into london as her typhoons and tornadoes defend :lol:

Will get a map of europe and see if i can list out bridges of high strategic importance...

Toodloo :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-02 18:27:27

Sherlock wrote:Have you tried already exporting objectives and units, going to a "clean" save0.cam file with nothing in it (previously saved), and re-importing the objectives and units, then going through the objective clean-up process you discovered a couple of weeks ago and the check units process?
Yes but I will try it again, to double check and so on.
phoenix wrote:When we were converting ODS for AF "At very early stage"we definitely got this runtime error but im damned if i can remember the cause or how we got it fixed,Now i think this was before sherlock joined the team so he may not have seen it but as far as i can remember it was to do with a memory leak due to having too many sqrns per airbase\or too many objectives
Hmm too many squadrons... maybe I'll try the campaign with one F16 squadron first and see what happens. I was pretty sure the problem was the many objectives, but now that the bridges are gone thats not the case anymore, still same buffer overrun.

I'll check the squadrons/units.
Will check back over ODS notes and see if i wrote it down somewhere...
That would be very helpful.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-02 19:11:52

I tried the RV campaign with just 1 squadron per side, it worked fine with bridges as the image shows.

That campaign now has 12,636 objectives total (not just the bridges you see on the above image). Now I'm off to investigate what is the largest amount of units can be fitted into the campaign.

#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_OBJECTIVES 8000
#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_UNITS 4000 // Max # of NON volitile units only
#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_VOLITILE_UNITS 16000

What does the volitile units mean?

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-02 20:08:41

Snake Man wrote:I tried the RV campaign with just 1 squadron per side, it worked fine with bridges as the image shows.

That campaign now has 12,636 objectives total (not just the bridges you see on the above image). Now I'm off to investigate what is the largest amount of units can be fitted into the campaign.

#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_OBJECTIVES 8000
#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_UNITS 4000 // Max # of NON volitile units only
#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_VOLITILE_UNITS 16000

What does the volitile units mean?
I can only speculate that it means a unit entity (a battalion, brigade, division, ship taskforce, squadron, etc) that can be "created" (either via beginning of campaign or as reinforcement later) and that can "die" and be taken out of the virtual universe. There is no definition anywhere in the SP3 source code other than what I already posted. Plus the term is only used in two modules (one falcon campaign instance and one virtual universe instance) for all of the source code.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-02 20:49:08

It works, Whohuuu! :D

In RV I went back and forth trying to figure out what the heck is the problem, finally I narrowed it pretty much as to the fact that if there is even one (1) ground unit present on the theater, it will crash, hmm...

So I break it down to the basic elements that why campaign crashes and it occured to me that not all the teams have been linked together... so I linked UK to mainland Europe, mainland to Norway/Sweden and also finland to Russia. Tried it out and it works, there you go.

My spirits were lifted from the bottom of the gutters into high heavens let me tell you! :)

Now we can proceed with the testing of this theater as I descriped some days ago, luckily there will be no more problems and we can finally release the v0.5 to everyone to test.

That image is insane... all the 12636 objectives on screen :roll:

This theater is getting reeelllleased!

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-02 20:58:24

Great job hunting down the problem! :lol:
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-05-02 21:04:38

Awesome :)