PMC will quit developing for Operation Flashpoint

OFP general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

PMC will quit developing for Operation Flashpoint

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-14 06:54:20

PMC will quit developing for Operation Flashpoint.

June 14th, 2007.

Thats right, PMC quits OFP editing. The sad truth is that now that we have ArmA here OFP developing is pretty much useless as "nobody" plays it anymore and also when I look OFP after some ArmA gaming, I get this yucky feeling that its so outdated graphically and technically.

It is killing me that we have all the tools, all the knowledge, all the addons and missions for OFP... but there is no future for it anymore. Also personally I feel that during the VTE development I learnt so much and just now I got somewhat comfortable with my OFP editing knowledge... and what happens, OFP becomes obsolete :(

So as of now I will try to finish three campaigns which I have been working on and release them, I dont want to get into too much details but one is known campaign and two new unreleased ones. And finally I release the VTE v0.4 mod's final version which will be the ending of PMC's OFP editing officially.

While we stop editing OFP, it doesn't mean that we dont provide support for our productions, if anyone finds critical bugs in them, we will try to make fixes so the playability is ensured. But we will not edit anything new or beyond fixing the mentioned bugs.

Its very sad feeling leaving OFP, a game/simulator I was with from the beginning. I still remember the first time I downloaded some UH60.mpg file showing Blackhawk insertion, I was hooked ever since. But time goes on and we have ArmA now which will replace the old legend. I am looking forward to edit ArmA and it will be real fun challenge to master the new engine, fileformats and mission editing techniques again.

So with these words, expect to see the last remaining PMC releases in the near future.

PMC since 1984
Snake Man, PMC.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-16 02:09:31

One campaign down, two to go and then VTE ;)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-18 09:43:42

Second campaign finished and released, now just one more campaign and then the big boy on the block, VTE v0.4 and we're done.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-20 16:53:48

The last PMC OFP campaign has now been... well re-released. Now the mission department is done and I'm shifting my focus on VTE v0.4 development.

The end is near...

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-25 08:20:18

Vietnam: The Experience v0.4 has been released. It was last PMC production for Operation Flashpoint, now we move into ArmA editing.

PMC since 1984

Reacher
1st Lt

Re: PMC will quit developing for Operation Flashpoint

Post by Reacher » 2009-02-09 04:25:34

Hey Snake, Lone Wolf! I am sorry to hear that PMC is calling it quits with OFP. I guess I don't blame you. But I am seeing some interest in the old OFP program.

I'll be honest, I gave ArmA every chance in the world. I've built 2 super computers in hopes that I could run ArmA. But nothing I could do could make it come even close to the old OFP. I'm sure there are those that really like ArmA. I am not in that group.

So I've been rounding up some old campaigns that I always enjoyed and use my spare time having fun like I remember. Yes, it's outdated, especially graphically, but to me all those high-powered graphics were one of the contributing factors to ArmA being second rate.

I certainly appreciate all the work you guys put into PMC OFP. I spent untold hours having a ball with the campaigns. Although the later Ranger campaigns were more "high tech", the old Fury campaigns provided the best opportunity to acquire some gaming skills with OFP.

ArmA is doing nothing but gathering dust. It's a shame since I waited patiently for almost 5 years for its release!

Thanks again fellows!

Reacher