CATE background bitmap

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Polak
Captain

CATE background bitmap

Post by Polak » 2009-01-04 05:33:56

Using MS Virtual Earth ( IMHO much more uniform and more information loaded Terra view server than GoogleEarth) I would like to produce CATE background bitmap with nature layers. IMHO this could represent much true nature location than land use map. What bitmap size is recommended (go max.. I can produce really large) and what are exact bounds of the ODS terrain? Alternatively, please send me to the post where is ODS terrain map?
Last edited by Polak on 2009-01-04 12:15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: CATE background bitmap

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-04 10:14:39

Polak wrote:I would like to produce CATE background bitmap with nature layers. IMHO this could represent much true nature location than land use map.
Just to make sure we understand each other, there is already CATE background bitmap land use image done. For example check Terrain types of middle east topic?
What bitmap size is recommended (go max.. I can produce really large) and what are exact bounds of the ODS terrain?
ODS is 128 theater so the bitmap will be 2048x2048 resolution. I guess your source photoshop file can be much larger to allow detail, but dunno really I think 2048 is quite large enough for this type of usage.
Alternatively, please send me to the post where is ODS terrain map?
Linked above :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2009-01-04 12:13:10

Thank you SM.

Perhaps using Land Use maps for ODS has been the right choice and already it has been implemented, so proposed use of MS Virtual Earth could be reserved rather to other or future terrain Projects.

However, I must observe that find in ODS total lack of mountains, result perhaps of the mountains not being part of the Land Use classification. Just to give some examples: Synai is half mountaneous ,so is South of Saudi and Yemen, Oman and even Cyprus has two distinct mountain ranges. ANd not only those. The problem about the mountais is that if CATE assigns the mountain tiles (low mountains and rocky plateaus) according to the height map, ANYTHING starting from maybe 500 m asl would be that way. As it is, It looks like this was reserved only for the most prominent and highest ranges. They are too scarce in ODS. My MSVE layer would pick up those area not because of the hight , but because it looks like mountain/rock from space.

The other example is irrigated farming. Nile delta farming is differently looking than circular SA fields , but on the Land Use they are the same. MSVE can distinguish that.

Then there is the matter of permanent rivers and temporary wadis. And finally smaller urban areas/oasis and roads.

It is just a suggestion of possible improvement. Feel free to comment back.

In the next post I try to show how MSVE shots could be easy gotten and converted to work for the purpose of terrain creation (as well as detailed pictures too).

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2009-01-04 12:46:28

And here are quickly assembled examples:

this whats available on MSEV (just a screenshot, but entire map can be d/l and assembled in the matter of reasonably short time)

and quickly and perhaps too sloppily processed layers showing map + irrigated(green)+ rocky desert(light brown)+ mountains (darker) and of course from map main waters and wadis, roads and urban areas (if labels are on)

Many possibilities I think.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-04 13:07:09

With CATE bitmap we can paint the area where the mountain tiles should be applied. The config allows this area to be rough where the tiles are then applied according to altitude.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”