[simulated] Vietnam war in-game screenshots

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

[simulated] Vietnam war in-game screenshots

Post by ccc » 2007-09-13 14:23:11

i think it's a new way to enjoy what we've at this moment..

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-09-13 15:47:31

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-13 15:56:42

[simulated] Vietnam war? What is this?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-09-13 15:58:56

Snake Man wrote:[simulated] Vietnam war? What is this?
nothing, just make historical pictures. :lol: :lol:

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-09-19 16:29:32

Blackbird
1st Lt

Post by Blackbird » 2007-10-27 00:33:19

Very nice shots. Please post more shot. My Computer was broken for more than a month. I can't work on any skins :cry:

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-10-27 15:28:33

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-10-27 16:04:29

hehe.. thanx to i hawk, the background smoke is truely like an artistic touch. 8-)

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-14 15:13:59

a shot taken from a tweaked korea campaign, simulating late-60.

David
Recruit

Post by David » 2008-04-14 15:20:38

nice

Blackbird
1st Lt

Post by Blackbird » 2008-04-15 03:58:48

Beautiful.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-15 14:24:00

shots from campaign..

in this pic recon sq RF101 generates solo flights.

M. Rivers' OV-10A lost in RV database, so i use OV10D. the recon sq won't work.. in specaility option, it must be set as air/ground, then the sq generates missions. RA-5C sq not available in campaign.

USAF f4 and a7. a7 not in SEA skin.

David
Recruit

Post by David » 2008-04-15 15:36:03

I like the pic before the last1

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-15 16:21:38

a m48 battalion moving.. and m548/chapparal.

flying over red battalions.
bombs away - no explosinos..

David
Recruit

Post by David » 2008-04-15 17:42:08

Good work mate!

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-16 14:40:21

add some heavies to a blue airbase..

David
Recruit

Post by David » 2008-04-16 14:51:55

Good!

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-16 16:24:33

join one mig21 sq to test the campaign..

head on against a F4C..

impressions..

- AI mig21s are smart to start evading incoming aim7 at far distance. they refuse to take aggressive move.. just escape. too smart, no joy.

- F4 aim7 too effective.. can't reproduce vnam style air-air engagement without tweaking aim7 parameters. for example, shorten its range to simulate ROE - visual ID first.

- in one engagement i scored two f4 with two AA2, 100% hit.. very lethal- of course, i met all shooting parameters, right after the pipes of f4..

David
Recruit

Post by David » 2008-04-16 16:58:14

All your pics are looking really impressive.
Why you dont take some weeks time and post a big fotage?

Blackbird
1st Lt

Post by Blackbird » 2008-04-18 02:02:27

Wow! Good job CCC. I think now is time for me to finish the skins

Tomb

Post by Tomb » 2008-04-29 20:15:13

Adventures over Vietnam

Flown in F4AF

Taxing out in our Thunderchiefs with there nice new SEA paintjobs, they look so much better than the standard “white” paint.

This is the culmination of some 8 pilots online flying quite a few training hops to learn to be able to land and take off the mighty Thud, steadily increasing the weights until it can be flown off fully loaded at max gross weight.

Because it’s a long way max fuel is carried with just a pair of weapons on the outboards, three fuel tanks and fuel tanks in the bomb bay.

Checks are very carefully carried out and full power applied as each pilot knows their will be not much height to spare over the far end fence.

Rolling from the taxiway onto the runway with as much speed as we dare and slapping in the burner the second you line up we are off. Hurtling down the runway we watch the speed build slowly and the runway markers go by with frightening speed soon the 700yd mark, we fly or we crash now, we are looking for 230kts IAS to lift off, rotate to early you will scrape the tail and it will end in tears in a crash, pull back too late and it will end in tears as you go through the far fence and crash, pull back to rapidly and you will do both and go though the far fence scrapping your tail and crash.

300yds to go 200kts, come on baby give me 230kts, 200yds to go 220kts I start to rotate to 10 degrees nose up at 100yds to go. I hit 10 degrees nose up as the speed hits 230kts and the rumbling stops, she’s up as the fence goes by just underneath gear up and let the speed build, flaps and slats up and we are airborne. All that practice pays off as all pilots get airborne we are on the way.

Target is the multi span bridge known as the “Paul Doumer Bridge” and this is our first crack at it, as in the historical mission it’s a mix of dumb bombs and bullpup missiles.

The target IP approaches, all weapon switches and settings checked …twice and the flak comes thundering up, Jesus you could get out and walk on that, well that decides me I am coming in steep and fast I will trade the accuracy for survival, external tanks blown off, into the slot and down the chute I come, speed goes up to around 600kts with a fair amount of buffet and rumble, I am in line with the bridge I let the pipper move to the second span, pickle and pull up fairly strenuously as soon as the nose get above the horizon I lit the burners and rocket out of their going supersonic in a shallow climb, migs, migs but those MiG 17s have no chance as I raise the nose and zoom up to 40,000ft leaving the Migs far behind and below I exit the flak and the immediate danger, no 2 Thud has been hit and is leaving an ominous greasy black trail behind him , gets it pointed south before all control goes and he punches out mercifully clear of the flak and floats down, mean while number three also get’s hit hard but is still flyable but with no cockpit indications other than head down airspeed and alt he forms up on me as I lead him home. The rest of the attack suffer no losses but some are damaged, the bridge has suffered many weapon hits but alas no spans were seen to drop.

The landing commences with the damaged guys holding off (so as to not block the runway). Like the take off the landing has to be flown just so because come in too slow and you scrape the tail (and crash), too fast and you bounce and then run off the runway into the far fence (and crash), landing speed is again around 210-200kts mark, I am first on to the runway, speed on the wheel brakes down to 150kts and get the brake chute out, it washes the speed of pretty quick and dumps around 40 kts and I taxi in.

Everybody lands but the drama is not over yet as one of the damaged planes finds he has no brakes or steering but he hangs in their and does not panic getting slow enough to pop the drag chute which slows him right down but alas at 40 kts the chute jettisons and thier is nothing he can do to stop the slowly moving jet leave the runway and head towards some buildings, off pops the canopy following by the ejector seat heading skywards, well it’s a short walk to the bar for the pilot.

Mission 2 is a dual mission since we attack the target and then fly cover for the rescue attempt as the heleo’s come in with the A1 skyraider flying as FAC for the thuds, a lot of fun marking the targets for the thuds to bomb on this mission air to air refuelling was tried on the way home with great success

Mission 3 was again an attack for the third time on the bridge, this time dropping a span at last air to air refuelling on the way out and on the way back

Mission 4 was an attack on the “Than Ngyun” steel works where the flak brought down a Thud and Mig17 shot down plus a SAM site destroyed, wild weasel mission's are really hairy with no jammer or chaff against a SAM missile with way more range than your shrike ARM

Mission 5 was a close support mission with a max bomb (14x750lb) load air to air refuelling twice and a pilot rescue supported by carrier strike aircraft from task force 77

So we were bitten by the bug

However none of this was flown on the Vietnam map for the following reasons

As one pilot remarked the Vietnam map is like flying over Holland, Korea gave a much better feel for the terrain and was laid out like Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia etc.

The aircraft in the Vietnam campaign have the wrong attributes such as F4E’s with all aspect heaters and no sparrows, in fact many aircraft were wrong the most serious being the mig21 with no missiles (it was the primary weapon for this aircraft)

The Vietnam terrain itself is not usable I feel with way too many non relevant targets and bridges in fact way too many bridges

An F4 fault in that bridges are idiotically easy to destroy, considering the Dragons Jaw bridge took hundreds of missions and seven years to destroy, in Falcon you can drop any bridge with a couple 500lbers but we think we have a way to make certain bridges much much tougher to destroy

Don’t know how you feel but I have some sample maps that could be used to show the major routes for a vietnam map, basically 1 major route north and south with branches running off to the west to laos would make for a sensible battlefield. I have pretty much every computer or board game made on this war plus the usual collection of reference materials so can produce any OOB and equipment list you like. I would suggest two separate campaigns, rolling thunder and linebacker are very different phases in this war.

While I cant create a map I can recreate all the aircraft and weapons plus base locations with a basic SEA skin so they ain’t white. Some things I will have to learn how to do, but I think that knowledge is probably here should you wish to educate me.

Currently we are flying “vietnam” using the korea map as a testing ground for what could be done.

Flying the Thud is fun as you really have to “fly it”, it does not tolerate the happy amateur you have to put the time in to learn it But damm its worth it

on that point the runways in the current vietnam theatre are too short for the thud flying a historic load out in the current vietnam theater i would like to help if you have room for one with more data than map skills but i do know whats needed to make a decent "simulation" and i may be able to create/edit some items

whats up thier is looking very cool, been reading about the aussie canberra bombers in vietnam , with 5% of the missions they got 16% of the targets, they were the only people who could level bomb visually low level since the USAF/USN had to dive bomb, not good with a 800ft cloud base

the aussies had a very good rep indeed

regards all

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-29 21:58:59

Hey Tomb nice writing. If you like, please post the issues you found in PMC Vietnam Theater into the bug reporting topic, so we can try to change anything we can in the future.

Thanks.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-30 03:39:15

As one pilot remarked the Vietnam map is like flying over Holland, Korea gave a much better feel for the terrain and was laid out like Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia etc.
imho, if it's hard to create all new vnam tile sets, using default korea tiles and making some rice paddies tweak should help.
The aircraft in the Vietnam campaign have the wrong attributes such as F4E’s with all aspect heaters and no sparrows, in fact many aircraft were wrong the most serious being the mig21 with no missiles (it was the primary weapon for this aircraft)
vnam theater needs seperate, dedicated DB files. i think SM has tweaked some.. just need further fine-tuning.
The Vietnam terrain itself is not usable I feel with way too many non relevant targets and bridges in fact way too many bridges
yes, bridges make trouble. as many rivers are really small and shallow, we may remove some bridges- or, tweak tile definition with Pathmaker, let ground troops can pass those bridge/river tiles freely.
An F4 fault in that bridges are idiotically easy to destroy, considering the Dragons Jaw bridge took hundreds of missions and seven years to destroy, in Falcon you can drop any bridge with a couple 500lbers but we think we have a way to make certain bridges much much tougher to destroy
use LodEditor, reduce the hitbox of bridge model.
use F4browser, increase the damage point value and lower weapon/type hit effect value.
Don’t know how you feel but I have some sample maps that could be used to show the major routes for a vietnam map, basically 1 major route north and south with branches running off to the west to laos would make for a sensible battlefield.
yes. before starting the campaign making, we should first define the major routes for battle and make sure the routes are open. as PMC vnam is so big a theater, i've not tested the route from major SV cities to NV cities yet.. just a small part - and i encountered several unwanted stalls..
on that point the runways in the current vietnam theatre are too short for the thud flying
lengthening runway can be done with Lodeditor-OE...
whats up thier is looking very cool, been reading about the aussie canberra bombers in vietnam
FYI there's a canberra in RV DB, not activiated yet.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-04-30 10:41:47

a bit OT..
a rought tweak to extend the runway length, from 8000ft to 9600+ ft.
insert a section, then move some control pt points with Lodeditor.

Tomb

Post by Tomb » 2008-04-30 20:07:43

thanks for your thoughts, we did get the airmobile bit working and SAR with the helicopters. a hugh change needed is for the migs to fly air defence only, not swarm over on bombing missions, that needs a change in mission types, this i dont know how to do.

found some stuff on the order of battle for the ground pounders

intersting idea that using korea tiles, be interesting to see how it looks

perhaps only the major routes and bridges should be shown this would give a better "feel" i think. most of the bombing was done around RP1 but RP6 was the scary one then you have the "in country" attackers and the "up north" attackers, in country would be mostley CAS and up north mostly strike. you would need to adjust the aircraft available mission types so that say the F100 flew mostly CAS and the F105 mostly strike

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-05-01 02:06:41

a hugh change needed is for the migs to fly air defence only, not swarm over on bombing missions, that needs a change in mission types, this i dont know how to do.
adjust the aircraft available mission types so that say the F100 flew mostly CAS and the F105 mostly strike
Use F4browser. select the ac, enter [unit view] page by clicking on squadron or flight of that ac, then edit the value in [Role scores].

also, use TacEditor to tweak your campaign. the [speciality] option in your ac squadron page should be set accordingly, say, [Air/Air] for mig, and [Air/Ground] for F100/F105.. thus forcing the squdron to take more sepicality-oriented missions.
if you choose specilaity- [general], the sq will choose their missions by [role scores] values..

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-05-02 15:56:50

my tweaked campaign failed to reach an end.

both sides just destroyed too many bridges, make blue army can't reach their goals. due to some priority slider bug in RV, the bridges still be targeted and destroyed..thus all blue spearheads are stalled.

impression - the tempo of AA/AG in this simulated vnam campaign is much slower than modern days. it takes about 9 days to stablize the FLOT and turns blue defensive to offensive. that's all.

Tomb

Post by Tomb » 2008-05-06 09:01:13

would you like me to try to play it through in AF (assuming it will play in AF)

thanks for the previous suggestions will be trying those.

question, how do you activate a model thats not on the .lst file ?

for example the Voodoo and RA5C plus a few others are thier and seem complete, some are even skined...but how to make them usable ?

i understand thier is a couple files you have to alter.

changing the plane set i am about to learn to do, especially wanting to change the israel theatre one.

so much to do, so little time hee hee

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-05-06 10:29:54

sorry i've dropped the file.

as AF got working engineering units to repair bridges, i think it should be winable in AF.

say, you can build your korea-based vnam campaign in mintues - just replace the unit type Id with old vnam type, such as.. F15/16 > F4/B/C/D, A-10 > A4/7, SA3/4/5 > SA-2, etc.

for adding/activiating new vehicles, search PMC fora for HCpooke's doc - "how to add new vehicle.."

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2008-05-08 19:20:58

for adding/activiating new vehicles, search PMC fora for HCpooke's doc - "how to add new vehicle.."
I was not able to find this file. Perhaps it can help me very much..?

I tried to edit F4AF database and got an error message, when AF started. It says something about changed filename size. So I thaught AF database is protected.
It was few mounths ago - I only added a second copy of Galeb. I wanted to edit loadouts and then move some mesh vertices. I wanted to make Czech L-39 this way. But was not able to run F4AF after simple adding a copy of AC. I was only able to edit Galeb's bmp and changed Serbian skin to the Czech. Now I have Czech Mig21, 23 and Galeb (L-39:). But the original Serbian are rewriten. I dont know, how to add next skins to the existing one.

Please tell me how to add a new AC to the F4AF database without error. Or at least how to add next skin, which one can coexist with old skin.

Thank You and sorry for my English.
Luk

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-09 02:13:02

You'll find the tutorial in here:

PMC Editing Wiki: Add vehicles tutorial.

PMC since 1984

HogRoot

Post by HogRoot » 2008-05-22 03:29:22

Whoa! Am I missing something? I can't seem to find those heavies in my addons folder. Are those C141s? Can you tell me where to find them?

Edit: Oopps....this isn't ArmA VTE is it? :oops:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

ACE Mod Beta Tester

Blackbird
1st Lt

Vietnam war screenshots

Post by Blackbird » 2009-07-04 00:15:32

MIG attack

toonces
Brig. General

Re: [simulated] Vietnam war in-game screenshots

Post by toonces » 2009-07-04 01:55:03

Any interest in sharing that MiG-21 skin?

I know someone that's putting together a Vietnam release soon... 8-)

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-07-04 02:04:56

the mig21-F-13 skin is default skin in FF4/RV..it could be in FF5 DB as well.

btw nice screenies.. those new ones are over korea land :mrgreen:

Blackbird
1st Lt

Post by Blackbird » 2009-07-04 02:23:28

ccc wrote:the mig21-F-13 skin is default skin in FF4/RV..it could be in FF5 DB as well.

btw nice screenies.. those new ones are over korea land :mrgreen:
CCC is alway right. The skin is default in FF5. If you can't find please let me know.
Thank you for the good new of the VN theater release :D

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-07-04 12:34:39

I can't find it. What are the .dds numbers?

If you haven't played FF5 yet, it's possible that the slot for the F13 changed. I've found "extra" skins in the DB that aren't in use for particular jets using Fred's new utility. However, I didn't come across the MiG-21F13 skin you're showing.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-07-04 12:37:13

Wait, you're saying that's the default FF5 F13 skin? I must have missed something then. I'll have to recheck my sim when I get home, but I'm positive that wasn't the skin the popped up when I checked it using Fred's utility the other day. The silver skin you see in the screenshots I posted in the Year of the Rat thread are the default skin, but with different country insignia on the wings.

Blackbird
1st Lt

Post by Blackbird » 2009-07-04 15:55:15

Yes, It is in FF5. The model # MIG-21F13, Text ID 3639. I don't have the progam to open file .dds file to verified. I have to find one to install.

Blackbird
1st Lt

Vietnam war

Post by Blackbird » 2009-07-12 01:36:27

Thank you Toonces and all people keep FF alive, and make it's better every day.