A Dynamic Vietnam Campaign released

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

kutya
Recruit

A Dynamic Vietnam Campaign released

Post by kutya » 2006-09-26 13:16:21

Greetings

I've recently released a Dynamic Camaign based on GDCE. It uses VTE 0.2 (the reason for this post) and it's a campaign consisting of mini-campaigns called phases. It's on 4 islands and 9 phases in tota. The main thread for Vietnam Tour of Duty 1.00 and also the GDCE thread is in the BIS forums.

Link for the campaign:
http://ofp.4players.de/cms/download.php?file=277 by http://ofp.4players.de/

It's a German website, but the campaign is in English :)
Last edited by kutya on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Re: A Dynamic Vietnam Camaign released

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-09-26 13:29:03

Good work. I havent played this yet because I'm been busy with the basic v0.3 editing/polishing, I just tried it once.

Will you be making pure VTE only when v0.3 comes out, meaning now backpacks needed or even the markers?

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2006-09-26 15:46:17

thanks a lot, going to spend a week right now to try it :D
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

kutya
Recruit

Post by kutya » 2006-09-26 18:48:19

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

"Will you be making pure VTE only when v0.3 comes out, meaning now backpacks needed or even the markers?"

Yes. It will be done. I would do it even for VTE 0.2, just need time, but it would be even better if the next release would be for VTE 0.3. Altough can't promise a clean VTE, since AFAIK no patrol boats which can carry the whole squad and by my knowledge the AI is a lousy driver in rivers.

kutya
Recruit

Post by kutya » 2006-09-26 19:27:48

A new idea, maybe a VTE only release and something like an extended release which uses a minimal number of other addons. Compromise. Or if you (Snake Man) could convince CSJ to let you use some of his boats for VTE 0.3.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-09-26 21:01:57

A new idea, maybe a VTE only release and something like an extended release which uses a minimal number of other addons.
Again I highly recommend/ple to you to only make missions which use plain stock default VTE. Thats the whole idea behind this mod, that people dont have use all kinds of addons.

I mean I always think that its not the addon, but the content of the mission. I ridicule the guys who make some tiny DEMO mission and then it uses like fucking fdf mod. Thats just absolutely crazy.

So my personal opinion is that your campaign most definitely wont need A) rucksack-radio because VTE has one. B) none of those cti markers for dac, just make your own cool random script for enemy and VTE has good markers already.
could convince CSJ to let you use some of his boats for VTE 0.3.
What boats are those (please provide name/link)? Are they any good? Can you load 12 men on these mentioned boats?

kutya
Recruit

Post by kutya » 2006-09-26 22:10:31

"I mean I always think that its not the addon, but the content of the mission. I ridicule the guys who make some tiny DEMO mission and then it uses like fucking fdf mod. Thats just absolutely crazy.

So my personal opinion is that your campaign most definitely wont need A) rucksack-radio because VTE has one. B) none of those cti markers for dac, just make your own cool random script for enemy and VTE has good markers already. "
I agree with your opinion on addon use, but I think VTD doesn't belong to that category of missions. For example the SAS conversion of GDCE uses many addons, but not just for show, they are actually used by the campaign. There are many kinds of missions and still I've used an APC instead of artillery etc. This isn't the case for VTE since it has a really wide variety of weapons and vehicles. About the rucksack I've already said that it won't be needed in the next release (same goes for CTI markers, since they're needed only for testing). Maybe even convert GDCE mission markers to those of VTE. And I think addons DO affect the mission. VTD surely won't be the same if instead of VTE it would use standard BIS content.
What boats are those (please provide name/link)? Are they any good? Can you load 12 men on these mentioned boats?
The boat is a Vietnam era ATC boat in a couple of variants. IMO it's nicely done, but has a minor but annoying bug. Gives a magazine error on loading. I've asked CSJ about a patch and he said he'll do it when he'll have time, but currently he doesn't. It has some MG positions also. There are many Vietnam boats made by him at OFP.info. And yes, I've loaded the whole squad inside. The bug is easily solvable and you'll surely have the permission to do it if CSJ allows it's inclusion in VTE.
The link:
http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9093

Really don't want to argue about addons, but GDCE (which VTD is based on) needs a wide variety of content, since I made many mission types. In VTD it can often happen that you're on a separate island than the one where the main battle goes, and it is nice to be able to travel to your mission objective by boat. That's the only reason.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2006-09-26 23:43:36

Sorry guys but where can I find the CTI markers, because it's said in the readme that it's included, but I don't see it. :-/
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-09-27 00:27:26

Sorry guys but where can I find the CTI markers
I believe you can play okay without the markers, you get an error, but OFP lets you play. Just try it out.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2006-09-27 00:56:56

Yuppp it works fine! And the campaign is very intresting, nice job! 8-)

kutya
Recruit

Post by kutya » 2006-09-27 08:07:17

Thanks!
Yes, you can play without the markers, it is just needed for DAC when you're setting it up. But if you want to avoid the error messages, you can find the CTI markers in the Mapfact DAC download, or wait for the next version :)
Last edited by kutya on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Jens198

Re: A Dynamic Vietnam Campaign released

Post by Jens198 » 2006-09-30 21:53:26

Hey kutya,

great stuff! I had one of the best ODP moments in months with your dynamic campaing and the VTE system. Are you going to improve it? Can suggestions still be made for further versions?

Jens

kutya
Recruit

Re: A Dynamic Vietnam Campaign released

Post by kutya » 2006-10-01 07:27:07

Hopefully yes to all your questions :)

Suggestions are surely welcome. Altough improvements are always made to GDCE and then ported to VTD.

Glad about your OFP moments :)

Bye

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”