List of Movies, TV, documentaries, etc

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

List of Movies, TV, documentaries, etc

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-06-27 22:31:45

This topics first post is updated for all the good/famous/etc Vietnam War tv, movie or documentary materials. While we cannot directly get historical data from movies and such, at least it gives us nice NAM mood and perhaps some mission ideas or such. Of course documentaries with real footage are then stuff what we can use to improve VTE directly.

Feel free to post corrections to the list or your favourite NAM video title(s). It would be great to have this grow a long list of NAM tv/movie/video material.

Here we go.

Platoon
Movie. Its pretty well known and good NAM movie. imdb link here

Full Metal Jacket
Hardcore NAM movie, starts from USMC boot camp and goes to Vietnam from there. imdb link here

Tour of Duty
TV series from 1987, amazingly good to give that dirty jungle NAM feeling. Three seasons, total of 58 episodes. imdb link here

Apocalypse Now
Old movie, quite good, kind of sicko movie but still good NAM stuff. In this movie they say that well knows "I love the smell of napalm in the morning.". imdb link here

We Were Soldiers
New pure Vietnam fighting movie, can relate to OFP VTE greatly because the fighting is the historical Ia Drang valley Landing Zone X-Ray combat. As this is new movie, you get excellent DTS sounds and picture quality. Very enjoyable movie with good compat scenes and lots of it. imdb link here

Good Morning, Vietnam
Famous Robin Williams more or less comedy movie from the war. The legendary shout "goood moooorning Vietnaaaam!" should be familiar with everyone.
imdb link here

Casualties of War
A bit sentimental girlie movie in my taste, ie too much crybaby shit. But still, a NAM movie and thats what were listing here. imdb link here

Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam
Documentary kind of, real war footage. imdb link here

Hearts and Minds
Documentary sob story. imdb link here

Secrets of War, Vietnam: Alpha Strike
Somewhat "macho clishe" stuff in my taste, but still has real war footage. Has interview with that Randy Cunningham about when he downed a North Vietnamese MiG plane.

Hamburger Hill
I have personally seen this movie when I was like 12, dont much remember except it has alot of combat in it. imdb link here
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

p1r0kun

Re: List of Movies, TV, documentaries, etc

Post by p1r0kun » 2006-06-28 01:25:22

I believe it was Randy Cunningham... something like the first jet ace of Vietnam, though I could be wrong. I used to be into all that military aeronautical stuff in a big way ;)

As far as the useful things go I'll be checking my collection to see if i can come up with any good additions, but I also noticed I've missed seeing some of these films... so thanks for the list!

The-Architect
1st Lt

Re: List of Movies, TV, documentaries, etc

Post by The-Architect » 2006-06-28 11:56:51

Bat 21.
Good movie. Can't find a DVD anywhere in the real world. "Do it Sandy. I'd do it for you." Brings tears to my eyes even now.  :'(

Hamburglar Hill.
Underrated movie and for good reason. It was shit. Would have been very very good if the actors could act.

The Killing Fields.
About a US reporter and his homoerotic search for a vietnamese colleague lost during the fighting. If you're a reporter, or a gay, watch it. Otherwise it's shit.

The Green Berets.
"Not so much a movie about Vietnam than a movie about Southern California." Yes this is the one with John Wayne. Gung ho balls out movie with a cameo from the Enterprise's Sulu who plays a montignard or ARVN I don't care. There's a great scene where a reporter is in a mortar position and the guy standing next to it gets blown up. There is nothing left of him apart from a smouldering boot. Top Cinema action.
Later on in the movie John Wayne and his band of cliches drop behind enemy lines and capture a Vietnamese commander. Ahem.
A good bit where the commander is exctracted though. It's by combat talon. Wicked.

The Deer Hunter.
Once you get past the beginning it's a bloody good movie. A sometimes disturbing look into the effects of combat on those Yank boys. When I watched this as a kid I found it extremely boring. As an adult however I now view it as a masterpiece. Well maybe. That shit at the end where they sing America the Brave or whetever it is, that spoiled it a little for me.

Jackknife.
A movie about a Vietnam Vet who's a little nuts. It's got Bobby D in it so it's worth the watch just for that. Unless you're a Pacino fan of course. I havn't seen this movie in a very long time. Not sure if it's about the Nam or just about PTSD.

Dead Presidents.
This has a nice amount of combat in it. Give it a try it's not a bad movie at all. Has Smokey from Friday, Aka Chris Tucker. And a crazy guy who carries a VC head around in his pack for good luck or bad, something like that.

Born on the 4th of July.
The combat scenes in this are shit. I think the crew went down to Malibu to do the filming. However any of you grown up mature members will recognise that this film is a harrowing account of a Vietnam veteran's struggle to come to terms with losing his legs and trying to make the tree huggers understand what kind of things Vets had to go through. Something like that. If you've seen it you understand what I'm trying to say.
Maybe it was a bit long but all in all it's a great antidote for young men who want to go to war 'cos they think it's all cool and fun.
Last edited by The-Architect on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”