Tour of duty tutorial?

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Popa
Recruit

Tour of duty tutorial?

Post by Popa » 2006-12-18 20:25:10

Im having a few problems with this GREAT mission. I was wondering if there was a tutorial around?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-18 20:29:23

You mean the Tour of Duty by Bagel with my edits?

I think then you should start by checking out the basic stuff from Chain of Command user missions, they also have players PDF manual online there somewhere.

If thats not what you mean, then please be more specific and I'll try to help :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2006-12-18 20:40:19

Well i need help with the specific stuff to the tour of duty mission. Like the 'special' menu, u can order hardware n stuff. I dont under stand that. And also tryin to get heli's to fly in formation so they dont crash into each other.

Thanks for the help.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-18 20:48:32

Popa wrote:Like the 'special' menu, u can order hardware n stuff.
I'd have to dig up that mission to refresh my memory, but what I understand is that you can get reinforcements so to speak, if you lose your gunship or other helos, you can get them from this hardware menu. The helos/vehicles appear in the airstrip due east from the main base.
And also tryin to get heli's to fly in formation so they dont crash into each other.
There is no solution for that, I'd suggest you dont try to fly them in formation as it never works in OFP. Or do you mean the Helo LZ commands from special menu, does these cause crashes?

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2006-12-18 21:19:47

rite i'll tell u wat happened. i gave an order for 3 helo's to land 3 squads in a clearing. i gave the helo's WP's to the clearing and to RTB. i gave the 3 squads to assault in all directions and move on to different WP's.
It never worked, the helo's stopped 100feet above the clearing and the squads jumped out, no parachutes. Then the helo's RTB'd and 2 crashed into each other when they tried to land!!

From the CoC player manual :
Since version 1.2, helicopters of a group are additionally staggered vertically with a height interval of 5 meters to
reduce the chance of them crashing into each other. Shown here is the minimal height.
Thats gives me the impression that they can fly in formation but i dont know how to do it???

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-18 21:33:37

Popa wrote:i gave the helo's WP's to the clearing and to RTB. i gave the 3 squads to assault in all directions and move on to different WP's.
It never worked, the helo's stopped 100feet above the clearing and the squads jumped out, no parachutes. Then the helo's RTB'd and 2 crashed into each other when they tried to land!!
No. You need to use the Special -> Airmobile Ops -> Helo LZ. That command makes the one helicopter to fly into the clicked map coordinates and drop off all cargo, then return to base and land. It works very well.
Thats gives me the impression that they can fly in formation but i dont know how to do it???
I would say that I'm the greatest fan of CoC CE and I have never used to fly two helicopters in one group, never. OFP just doesn't do that right. (oops, I think PMC NAM SEAL campaign has Gunship + OH6 setup, hmm anyways).

PMC since 1984

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2006-12-18 21:50:32

There is airmobile LZ, aircrew 1-5 LZ and extract crew LZ. What does each one do?

Another question, i went to the special menu where u can get new hardware and i asked for a heli and crew. I clicked on the airstrip+help shift but i never got the hardware. What am i doing wrong?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-19 00:49:38

Popa wrote:There is airmobile LZ, aircrew 1-5 LZ and extract crew LZ. What does each one do?
If I can recall, the airmobile LZ is for ALL tranport helos to fly into that one point and unload cargo (do not use, a big crashing helo producer script).

Aircrew 1-5 LZ should be the what you want to use (but I cant recall why its 1-5, I think there is only three hueys). Load a huey, click this menu and then click on map where you want the cargo to be transported and unloaded.

Extract crew should use one huey to pickup one squad. Click the menu, click one squad on the field and one of the hueys fly out to pick that squad up and brings them to HQ where they go to field hospital.
i asked for a heli and crew. I clicked on the airstrip+help shift but i never got the hardware. What am i doing wrong?
I think you need to have some of those reinforce "points" or what ever they are. By the time you NEED a new hardware, you should have those points already.

PMC since 1984

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2006-12-19 20:32:16

Hye thanks for the help snake_man. I saved the game last night but no when i go to resume the mission i get this error when the "receiving mission status" loading page is up.

The error reads:
Cannot load '*my user name*\saved\missions\vte_spmissions\tourofduty_vte.sebiadrang\continue.fps'. Error 'no entry' at /gamestate/variables/item5/data.value'.
Whats the problem?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-20 00:03:25

Popa wrote:The error reads:

Code: Select all

Cannot load '*my user name*\saved\missions\vte_spmissions\tourofduty_vte.sebiadrang\continue.fps'. Error 'no entry' at /gamestate/variables/item5/data.value'.
Whats the problem?
Its the OFP savegame bug, nothing you can do about it. You can try that when you want to stop playing, hit ESC, then click ABORT. Now you get to OFP menu and you can quit OFP etc. When you want to continue playing, just select the mission again and choose Continue. It might work like that but I'm not sure.

Basically that error is the OFP savegame bug and BIS never fixed it.

PMC since 1984

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2006-12-20 22:56:45

Is there a way to get more air cav and marine troops?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-21 01:43:35

Popa wrote:Is there a way to get more air cav and marine troops?
No.

If you get few of your men killed in one squad, move the squad into the medic tent at the HQ and they get reinforced. But no, you cant get more troops under your command than what you have at mission start.

PMC since 1984

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2006-12-27 17:51:00

Snake Man wrote:
Popa wrote:The error reads:

Code: Select all

Whats the problem?
Its the OFP savegame bug, nothing you can do about it. You can try that when you want to stop playing, hit ESC, then click ABORT. Now you get to OFP menu and you can quit OFP etc. When you want to continue playing, just select the mission again and choose Continue. It might work like that but I'm not sure.

Basically that error is the OFP savegame bug and BIS never fixed it.
Sorry for all the bother but that didnt work, is there any fix out there for this?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-27 20:54:05

Popa wrote:that didnt work, is there any fix out there for this?
There is no fix for OFP savegame bug. You just have to complete the mission on one try or restart from the start.

PMC since 1984

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2007-03-04 21:09:38

Another problem, i extract my units that have casualties but i dont get reinforcements at the field hospital. Whats wrong?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-04 21:30:04

Mission technically wise you need to get the squad leader close enough to the field hospital object in the base, keep him there for ... certain amount of time (but I cant recall how long, should be less than minute I think), then the new reinforcements are spawned to his squad.

Basically get squad leader directly next to the medic tent.

If it still doesn't work, let me know and I can take another look at it.

PMC since 1984

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2007-03-04 21:46:10

they are all within 5 feet of the flag and one SL is actually inside the field hospital.

Popa
Recruit

Post by Popa » 2007-05-23 15:05:37

Ya it still doesn't work. If you have the time could you please take a look at it.

I love this mission so much i just really want to finish it. :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-23 17:54:50

All right I'll take a look at it for next release. Cant promise anything though.

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”