Campaign objectives and ground units related questions

Campaign editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Campaign objectives and ground units related questions

Post by Snake Man » 2008-01-11 16:07:40

I received this on email from ccc but decided there is no reason to go through some items like that, better to have open discussion so everyone can see at anytime, maybe someone finds some new information here.
i need help, hope you can point me to the right direction..
1. how to change the obj name? edit which file? with what tool?
With tacedit you just edit the name field, you should "browse" it through with TAB key so it updates the name properly. You'll see when you try it.
2. for adding new obj, do you use TacEdit, or other script?
If you just add one single object, like I did the NPPx nuke plants for Taiwan, I just add them manually with tacedit. No need to write a script for something you only do once.
i use tacEdit to add a new bridge and do the linking, but the ground units don't like it and won't move!
Well dunno what might cause that...
3. i link two obj - if no road tiles connecting the two obj, or broken road between the two, can ground units move between the them?
Codec longtime ago said (we almost had an argument with Widow, Codec and me) that yes ground units do not need roads to move... thats the understanding I'm having.
4. does the taiwan terrain tiled/created with CATE, according to the taiwan-features.bmp?
Yes.
if yes, can i draw more road lines on bmp, and re-tile the terrain automatically?
Not really. You CAN draw a roads but its a big mess what gets tiled, unless you really color affiliate EACH road tile and place those pixel by pixel... and it would be most likely easier to do directly in Terrainview by manually then.

However there is the Seifers TDF ... feature editor, I suppose this could be used but I never tried it yet. Perhaps you could and report back then?
5. bridge, if a bridge obj is not precisely placed on river, will it make ground units unable to pass the river?
The graphics dont mean nothing, its whats written in the .bin file with PathMaker, of course naturally water should not be passed and so on, but yeah it depends how the paths are made in bin file.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-01-11 16:43:33

1. how to change the obj name? edit which file? with what tool?

With tacedit you just edit the name field, you should "browse" it through with TAB key so it updates the name properly. You'll see when you try it.

thanks it works. changing the obj names seems updating theater.wch file too.
2. for adding new obj, do you use TacEdit, or other script?

If you just add one single object, like I did the NPPx nuke plants for Taiwan, I just add them manually with tacedit. No need to write a script for something you only do once.
i see, will try it again.
5. bridge, if a bridge obj is not precisely placed on river, will it make ground units unable to pass the river?

The graphics dont mean nothing, its whats written in the .bin file with PathMaker, of course naturally water should not be passed and so on, but yeah it depends how the paths are made in bin file.
more info? i noted ground units refuse to pass a bridge obj.. ?? in my tests, misplaced, missing, or extra bridges stop the ground unit movement, make several campaigns - ODS, Vnam, and probably more - unable to run properly. i hesitate to check iran/afghanstan/nevada campaigns, they have lots bridges too!

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Using Pathmaker

Post by ranger822 » 2008-01-11 21:52:39

maybe use Pathmaker to verify the presence of road and river - that might rule out a path issue - maybe look elsehwhere for the glitch.