PMC Command Campaign

CoC Command Engine campaign, LSR addons

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

PMC Command Campaign

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-01 07:19:55

PMC Command Campaign - 30 missions of CoC Command Engine put in a campaign form. This baby uses BAS Delta/Rangers, BAS Littlebirds, BAS MH-47E Chinook and U.S.S. Ashland LSD 48 addons along with default BIS troops and vehicles.

I dont really want to put this poop into the public distribution as of now because the missions have not been playtested through. There might be some force level balance issues (enemy too bad for you?) and hardware reguirements (lot of lag, too many units?).

If anyone is interested of testing CE missions in campaign style, please let me know.

Snake_Man

Re: PMC Command Campaign

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-06 16:33:25

PMC Command Campaign has launched its beta testing.

The campaign has been already tested that all missions start and the first mission is playetested to be balanced and ending triggers do work properly. Rest of the missions are much like this one but they are *not* tested of yet.

If you want to beta test this campaign, post a comment and I'll email it to you (or give private download link), the size is only 305kb packed.

"Latest" edits for this campaign are as follows
changelog

Jun 6th, 2003. v1.0b rev 1
- campaign playtested that all missions start from the description.ext file.
- Campaign dir compiled, first version ready :)

localhero

Post by localhero » 2003-06-07 06:13:41

snake.. I'll give it a go. I'll use the lower end scale if you want. I gotta P3 800 just beggin to get a work out. i'll let you know how it handles.

Local

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-07 16:20:46

Had some fun on the campaign, the third mission. Was observing some Ranger Snipers at their work West of Houdan. It was pretty cool.

Take a look...
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/PMCscree ... niper1.jpg

localhero

Post by localhero » 2003-06-07 22:47:47

After 3 missions so far so good. Pretty intense snake. Only problem i noticed, which really isn't a problem, was the heli pads for the blackhawks were all going down hill. especially UH60-1. perhaps you could move them up towards the base a bit more. that would put them on level ground.

just thought. everything else is going smoothly. even for my poor p3.

Local

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-12 03:44:59

Last night I played the mission number 5, all ran perfectly smooth in my hardware (1.3ghz, 512mb ram, gf2 gts) and mission itself (triggers etc) worked out OK.

Looks good so far.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-15 04:40:59

All six Malden missions are fully working and fully playable with my previously mentioned hardware.

But we do have dark clouds ahead... the first other island mission (mission #7) is a killer... it needs a serious gameplay balance edits or was I just having a bad day when littlebird, chinook and two ranger squads were dead within 15 minutes :)

I'll be making some tweaks to the following missions ASAP.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-16 11:22:49

First fixed version was emailed to beta testers today. Here is the changelog of v1.0b rev 2

changelog

- Jun 16th, 2003. v1.0b rev 2
rearm apache added to all missions where apache used.
missions cmp1 - 6 added satellite view.
missions cmp1 - 6 added ai control script by Bremmer.
removed some east AI artillery responses.
mission cmp6 cancon capturing had wrong sidechat, fixed.
pmc_fury.jpg missing from overview, made new image.
objectives now need West land units on the ground to be completed.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-29 12:02:37

Missions 6-12 (Kolgujev) work ok, no problems detected in my tests.

So that comes now to total of 12 first missions that are fully playable and working.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-01 02:33:54

New version is sent to the beta testers. If you want to be a beta tester, just request the campaign and you'll get it by email (its 319kb in size).

Current update:

changelog

Jul 1st, 2003. v1.0b rev 3
- AAA mobile is in cmp6.
- aircraft eyecandy for mission 1, only eyecandy, none flying.
- markers dont turn dot & green on malden & kolgujev (early) missions, fixed.
- cmp13 urals in the sea port ocean level. obj1 dont activate. fixed.
- inf xx callsigns cmp9, cmp10, cmp11, cmp12. fixed.
- cmp10 named the targets in briefing & markers.
- removed debug hint from cmp20 cmp30 missions.
- added mobile AAA to all (helo) missions.
- added snipers to missions that didn't have them, except on Kolgujev.
- fixed userinit.sqs bug in cmp22.
- cmp15, cmp20 countunits missing error, disabled the debug.

Killswitch

Post by Killswitch » 2003-07-02 23:18:34

Hi Snake! Being an old fan of your OFP (and Falcon 4) work and a closet CoC addict ;D,
I hereby humbly offer my services as a beta tester, if needed.

Regards

Kroky

Post by Kroky » 2003-07-06 17:18:38

If you still are interested in beta testers - I would love to do it.

By the way your campaigns (Fury, Ranger Path) convinced me that you have the skills to make a fantastic campaign.

My email: t_krokosz@hotmail.com

Killswitch

Post by Killswitch » 2003-08-03 15:42:36

After 1 month of playtesting and having a blast ;D, I thought I'd stop by with some notes on the missions in the campaign.
You won't believe my reaction on the first "Bremmer improved" mission, when two of my squads were wiped out by mortar fire from nowhere... heh... Very nice touch to the mission. Gotta keep those squads moving all the time so they won't get pinned down.

I have gotten as far as the third Everon mission (cmp15) so these are comments on those 15 missions so far...

Markers and call signs
In some missoins, there are inconsistencies in the naming of the groups under my command, such as groups having names different from their on-map markers. Also, there are "syntax errors" in many of the userinit.sqs:es of the missions, under the group definitions. Take cmp1, for example. In its userinit.sqs, we have:
_player = [hqteam, "Inf HQ", ["Field Command", _none], 1, "hqteam", [""],-1,[]]
_assault1 = [assault1, "Inf Ab", ["Alpha Black", _none], 1, "assault1", [""],-1,[]]
_assault2 = [assault2, "Inf Bb", ["Bravo Black", _none], 1, "assault2", [""],-1,[]]
_assault3 = [assault3, "Inf Cb", ["Charlie Black", _none], 1, "assault3", [""],-1,[]]
_assault4 = [assault4, "Inf Db", ["Delta Black", _none], 1, "assault4", [""],-1,[]]
One cannot have anything other than standard "OFP group names" in the callsign part of the group definition. Taking the four assault groups above, they would have to be
_assault1 = [assault1, "Inf Ab", ["Alpha", _black], 1, "assault1", [""],-1,[]]
_assault2 = [assault2, "Inf Bb", ["Bravo", _black], 1, "assault2", [""],-1,[]]
_assault3 = [assault3, "Inf Cb",["Charlie", _black], 1, "assault3", [""],-1,[]]
_assault4 = [assault4, "Inf Db", ["Delta",_black], 1, "assault4", [""],-1,[]]
Command and platoon naming
Often, when I have extra infantry platoons, I'd like to maneuver them around as teams. Some of the early missions have that ability, but they are missing in later missions. Suggestion: have rUseHierarchicalStructure = true in the mission userinit.sqs, atleast for the missions where I have extra infantry platoons under my command.

Also, instead of having one platoon consisting of squads "Hotel Black, Charlie Black and Alpha Red" (cmp15), why not call them Alpha Red, Alpha Green and Alpha Blue (Ar, Ag, Ab). Then, the second platoon in cmp15 (currently having Bravo, Charlie and Delta Red) might be Bravo Red, Green and Blue.

I find it easier to think of the platoons as "Alpha platoon", "Delta platoon" and so on, instead of "Red Platoon", "Black platoon" etc, and I also think the former fits in better with OFP:s call sign system.

In summary: decide on a system for naming the squads and name them the same over the missions (including HQ, the rangers, support and whatnot). This, I believe, feels better as you play the campaign.

Play balance, available assets
So far, the enemy size and placement is about right - I sometimes get creamed due to lazy tactics and bad recon, which is just the way it should be. Haven't thought a lot about wether the missions are too easy or too hard. Will have to get back to you on that subject.

Longer range for the arty and mortars! The AI enemies seem to have fire support everywhere, and I'd like to have my limited fire missions available in the whole area of operations ;)

Oh, just thought of something: I have taken a sneak peak at the early Nogova missions and the marker for the 105:s is in the middle of the ocean and won't reach where it's needed.
Also, I need a repair truck for the tank platoon on the mainland :-X

There. Enough typing for a moment. I'll be back with more findings on the campaign later.

Regards!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-08-24 02:41:27

After a long time new version of PMC Command Campaign is available. Private beta testing is now over and you can download this still beta campaign from our downloads page.

changelog

Aug 24th, 2003. v1.0b rev 4
- cmp15-19, uh60's are called mh47e's on the userinit.sqs, fixed.
- cmp19 HB 8 stuck on a building or something, fixed.
- cmp18 ural inside house farm. east of deux. moved.
- cmp18 russian soldier inside house, could not activate trigger, fixed.
- cmp18 briefing typos and header alignment, fixed.
- cmp20 briefing space missing between link and text, fixed.
- cmp20 airfield trigger and officer quarters trigger wont activate.
- cmp23 gen sitrep and orders, "firs" typos.
- cmp26 briefing too long, neveklov and comma space, intel "russiasn".
- cmp21 briefing tactical header edit.
- cmp22 MH-47E's called chinooks 1, 2 names, fixed.
- inf xx callsign fixes on cmp 22, cmp25, cmp28.
- cmp23 east soldier stuck in trigger 4 houses, fixed.
- cmp24 truck moved, guys circled like crazy persons when boarding.
- cmp24 static m2's positions fixed.
- cmp24 lipany had russian hiding inside building, trigger didn't work.
- cmp26 mh-47e was called ch-47e, fixed.
- cmp26 truck road block was middle of tanks, fixed.
- cmp26 paseky trigger problematic because of vehicles, fixed.
- cmp27 opatov, slapy vehicles on trigger, fixed.
- cmp28 vehicles in the outpost, fixed.
- cmp30 briefing gen sitrep, "wommen". intel "techological". orders mis accompl.
- cmp30 depot too many vehicles vs trigger, fixed.
- cmp30 missing the hidden briefing objective, fixed.
- cmp20-30 added end overview cutscene.
- Changed all non Ranger units to JAM units with HD high dispersion weapons.

I'd like to that all those private beta tester guys who helped me to get rid of the nasties bugs, Thank You very much, appreciated. (If you want to give your name, I can list it on the credits? I just now have your emails guys).

Added some information to our campaign page at
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/campaign.php

Download page where you find always the latest is here
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/downloads.php

And finally, the direct link for current version:
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r4.rar

Enjoy

Killswitch

Post by Killswitch » 2003-08-30 18:09:56

Replaying beta 4 now.

New bug (?): since you changed normal grunts into JAM versions, all AT/LAW soldiers are equipped with the Antipersonnel variants and not the "real stuff". This means that my squads have no chance against even a BMP.

In essence: all or most of the "JAM_WBHDLAWAPSoldier" needs to be changed into "JAM_WBHDLAWSoldier" and whatever units correspond to them for the east side.

Noticed this after having sent a reinforced platoon against a BMP squad and they never came back... :o

Also, group naming problems in the userinit.sqs of many missions remain, as described earlier in this thread.

Taconic
Recruit

Post by Taconic » 2003-09-27 13:59:27

I've played through the first 6 missions and have some suggestions to offer.

#1: The missions need variety. In literally every mission on Malden it's the same force versus the same OPFOR. There's always a T-80 platoon just sitting somewhere. There's always two Shilkas roving around, etc. I found myself getting a bit bored by the fifth mission since it was basically the same mission over and over again, just with different terrain. I think it'd be much more interesting if each mission had vastly different force composition. I'd also like to see the opposing force have some air power - I've never seen this in any CoC mission.

It would also be interesting if you used the probability option in the editor. That way you could potentially have a different experience each time you play.

#2: The AI is dumb. I mean, infantry squads just stand around doing nothing. Why not give them patrol waypoints? Real soldiers don't just stand in the middle of the road waiting for enemies to appear when they're guarding something.

Also, why not apply some interesting scripting to enemy units? The CoC engine affords some opportunities for some really cool battles. It would be interesting if you added some triggers that would make AI squads retreat to another enemy stronghold if the count of East units in the area dropped below a certain number. Or maybe if the number of West units exceeded a certain number - most soldiers aren't going to sit around while a force 10x larger attacks them.

Something along those lines could really create a cool "final battle" type scenario in which enemy forces really get a chance to dig in at one point unless the player swiftly deals with them all.

It would also be nice to see enemies react to artillery barrages more realistically. As it is, it's too potent a weapon. You can keep hitting an area with it until everything is dead because the AI won't move.

Another thing I'd like to see along those lines is an enemy that isn't so passive. The Russian forces never attack my position - they just sit around and wait to die. I think it could create some interesting gameplay if the player couldn't devote 100% of his forces to offense.

One other point I'd like to make about the scripting (and this applies to PMC Fury as well) - I really, really hate the way you have the end mission triggers set up :P

It's supremely annoying to have to decide between doing an "endmission" once you've met all objectives, or spending a half hour hunting down the last Russian soldier that's hiding in a bush. That could easily be solved by having them retreat to a point outside of the endmission trigger's radius if the number of forces falls below X.

I also noticed that you had to physically destroy any armor that you came across... just forcing the crew to abandon it wasn't enough. I assume you're using the count side function to determine if any Russian forces are left... It might be nice if you could find a way to incorporate "canmove" for the armor to prevent that from happening.

#3: Just some misc. gameplay suggestions
-It'd be nice to see some boats included for transport
-Fixed wing aircraft. I know support isn't intrinsic to the CoC Engine, but one of the CoC guys posted how to make it possible on their forum the other day. It'd be cool to be able to order airstrikes in addition to artillery support.
-Unarmed ground vehicles. At the moment you're forced to choose between airlifting people or having them walk. It'd be nice to have a couple of 5Ts at your disposal if you wanted to move people around more quickly.
-Another thing that I thought would be cool (but it's kind of out there and only meaningful if the AI attacks player-held positions) would be the ability to create fixed defenses in areas that you control. I've been meaning to suggest maybe incorporating this into the CoC engine to the CoC guys themselves...

Basically I think it'd be cool if you had a 5T with a bunch of soldiers that function as battlefield engineers. Move them into an area and you'd have the option of placing, say, an M2, a mortar from the Nampack, or maybe one of the ZSU-23 AA emplacements within 100m of the unit. You'd only have a limited number and they could also be torn down and moved elsewhere.

That'd probably be a bitch to script well, though. Just a suggestion. :P

That's about all that I can think of now. Don't take it that I'm down on the whole thing or anything like that. I thought it was pretty cool in general and I'm glad to see the CoC engine getting some more support, but I think that incorporating some of that stuff into it could make it into something really great rather than good. Besides, 30 missions is probably more than every CoC mission made to date.

I'm also glad to see you used JAM. That was very cool. The HD units made for some impressive fights.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-09-28 05:46:52

I'd also like to see the opposing force have some air power - I've never seen this in any CoC mission.
What specificly would you suggest for the Russian air equipment?
It would also be interesting if you used the probability option in the editor. That way you could potentially have a different experience each time you play.
Hmm yeah indeed, but if we are talking about unit numbers, then we can have once a easy & non-lagging mission and other time a very difficult & lagging mission.

I dont have the mission(s) open in editor right now, but I always use the random range on waypoints so AI wont walk the same path twice.
infantry squads just stand around doing nothing. Why not give them patrol waypoints?
There should be patrols and then sentrys that guard (not guard waypoint, but stay put in Sentry mode) a certain city or important landmark.

Do you have specific examples where you would have stationary enemy squad on the move?
added some triggers that would make AI squads retreat to another enemy stronghold if the count of East units in the area dropped below a certain number.
That would be possible tweak, no problem.
It would also be nice to see enemies react to artillery barrages more realistically. You can keep hitting an area with it until everything is dead because the AI won't move.
Do you know any script or similiar way to make OFP AI detect a createvehicle'd shell125 for example?
The Russian forces never attack my position - they just sit around and wait to die. I think it could create some interesting gameplay if the player couldn't devote 100% of his forces to offense.
True basically all my missions are offensive only. Somehow I find it unpleasant to play defend mission, kind of like "mom help, I'm not in control here, they are evil, eek" :)
I really, really hate the way you have the end mission triggers set up
Indeed. Ending triggers are the worst part of my missions. If anyone has any specific high quality working trigger technics in mind, lets say on other example mission etc... please let me know. I'm very willing to learn new stuff about ending triggers or ending mission possibilities.
It's supremely annoying to have to decide between doing an "endmission" once you've met all objectives, or spending a half hour hunting down the last Russian soldier that's hiding in a bush.
But isn't the new (on dunno which version I fixed this) missions better now as you first need to clear the SMALL trigger area around city (basically just city limits) and then you must get friendly forces in that or maybe even smaller trigger area in the city?

You just cant use standoff tactics against the AI, you need to have "feet on the ground" at the objective itself which I like very much.
I also noticed that you had to physically destroy any armor that you came across... just forcing the crew to abandon it wasn't enough.
Hmm indeed sometimes I noticed that you might have to destroy even an empty vehicles... not sure about that though.
-Fixed wing aircraft. I know support isn't intrinsic to the CoC Engine, but one of the CoC guys posted how to make it possible on their forum the other day.
I never even tried out fixed wings on CE as they are so crazy, they tend to fly off the map and especially fly where you dont want them to.

But sure, for the interesting result point of view I could try out lets say A-10 on CE mission sometime. Ask me again if you dont hear me tell any results here at some point.
It'd be cool to be able to order airstrikes in addition to artillery support.
Hehe I had airstrike script but it worked so bad that once you called it, every time you pressed map click command it was started all over again :)

I'll look into this, marked the wish down. Yep it would be nice to have A-10's to blast some stuff.

You might even got into mission-inside-a-mission when A-10 is shot down and you want to recover the pilot. Hmm... ;)
-Unarmed ground vehicles. At the moment you're forced to choose between airlifting people or having them walk. It'd be nice to have a couple of 5Ts at your disposal if you wanted to move people around more quickly.
Hey good logistics point!

Also these should not cause much lag top of the existing mission. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into adding some soft vehicles.
ability to create fixed defenses in areas that you control.
create fixed defenses, no problem.
create fixed defenses that you control... hmm now thats a difficult one. I should consult CoC guys if this is possible, it would be pretty interesting indeed. Another good point there, thanks.
That'd probably be a bitch to script well, though. Just a suggestion.
Not really, its the AI/human control taking over after the stuff has been placed on the ground. This is where I'd need some CoC advices.
Don't take it that I'm down on the whole thing or anything like that.
Not at all, this kind of reports/wishes are just what I want, friendly criticism is usually better than "THIS KAMPAIN' ROCKZZZ!!1" posts ;)
I'm also glad to see you used JAM. That was very cool. The HD units made for some impressive fights.
You gotta love JAM!

Taconic
Recruit

Post by Taconic » 2003-09-28 11:18:12

What specificly would you suggest for the Russian air equipment?
Mi-24 or the Ka-50. Maybe throw in an air insertion via Mi-17 in a few missions for variety.

I'm not really sure if putting them in an offensive or defensive role would be better.

It certainly would change the dynamic of the mission, though. As it is, the player rules the sky. It would present a new challenge if the Russian air power had to be dealt with before the player could move his armor freely.
There should be patrols and then sentrys that guard (not guard waypoint, but stay put in Sentry mode) a certain city or important landmark.

Do you have specific examples where you would have stationary enemy squad on the move?
Well, I'm thinking mostly about enemy held towns. I look down on them with the sat and they're all standing around. I'd personally put the squads doing that on patrol through the streets in safe mode. It would make them a bit less succeptible to artillery attacks for one thing. For another, it would just look better.

It also might be kind of cool to see some fixed emplacements in some enemy areas. Machineguns... maybe some AA and the KORD from DKM's APC pack.
That would be possible tweak, no problem.
Excellent.
Do you know any script or similiar way to make OFP AI detect a createvehicle'd shell125 for example?
I have an idea, but I don't know if it would work because I'm not certain how to make part of it happen to test.

Basically you could have a script running on each group. Something simple along the lines of:

Code: Select all

#Start<br>_count = Count units _group<br>#loop<br>_count2 = Count units _group<br>? (_count > _count2) : goto "Run"<br><br>#run<br>_group move GetPos SomeGameLogicOrSomething<br>goto "Start"
would suffice for part of it. Problem is, that's only part of the script that's needed. The other half I don't know how to do because I don't know how to return the position of a marker in X,Y,Z format off the top of my head.

I think you'd need to get the position of the artillery marker and compare it to that of the unit in question. If it's X meters away from the squad and the count of the units in the squad decreses, the squad would move elsewhere... preferably at max speed and in careless mode.

But like I said, I don't know how to return the coods of a marker in X/Y/Z format to test. GetPos didn't seem to work on the one I tested.
But isn't the new (on dunno which version I fixed this) missions better now as you first need to clear the SMALL trigger area around city (basically just city limits) and then you must get friendly forces in that or maybe even smaller trigger area in the city?

You just cant use standoff tactics against the AI, you need to have "feet on the ground" at the objective itself which I like very much.
That was more in reference to missions that weren't all about fighting in a tight area. It's when the missions cover a large amount of terrain that it becomes a problem. One lone guy might decide to lie down in a bush.
Hmm indeed sometimes I noticed that you might have to destroy even an empty vehicles... not sure about that though.
Maybe have a trigger that checks for living units as well as doing a CanMove on all vehicles. When nothing is alive and nothing can move, that could trigger the variable that ends the mission.
Or maybe when nothing canmove or is alive within the trigger radius.
I never even tried out fixed wings on CE as they are so crazy, they tend to fly off the map and especially fly where you dont want them to.

But sure, for the interesting result point of view I could try out lets say A-10 on CE mission sometime. Ask me again if you dont hear me tell any results here at some point.
The CoC guys solution was to not give it any fuel until it's ready to sortie...

Maybe have them waiting on the taxiway like that, designate a target with a mapclick, they attack, and after the ordinence is delivered, you use the land action to force them to land again. You could play on that script with other addons... Like using Hawk's C-130 to parachute some infantry over a marker.

That'd be the simplest way to do it since it'd always have a WP to follow. There'd be no worries of it flying off the map.

A way to incorporate actual CAS would be nice....

Maybe I should post on the CoC forums. :P
You might even got into mission-inside-a-mission when A-10 is shot down and you want to recover the pilot. Hmm... ;)
That'd be an interesting change.
Hey good logistics point!

Also these should not cause much lag top of the existing mission. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into adding some soft vehicles.
Good. Because I got sick of waiting for them to hoof it on a few missions :P
create fixed defenses, no problem.
create fixed defenses that you control... hmm now thats a difficult one. I should consult CoC guys if this is possible, it would be pretty interesting indeed. Another good point there, thanks.
I know that it's possible... the RedHammer campaign has a mission that incorporates that, but it was unintuitive at best. I've never DePBOed it to see how it works, though.

I've been expirimenting with this idea a bit in my own CoC mission. If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.
Not really, its the AI/human control taking over after the stuff has been placed on the ground. This is where I'd need some CoC advices.
The player could detach units from existing groups and add them to a new group that simply mans the statics.
Not at all, this kind of reports/wishes are just what I want, friendly criticism is usually better than "THIS KAMPAIN' ROCKZZZ!!1" posts ;)
That's good. Some people take offense.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-10-17 18:01:47

Snake, is r4 the latest version? Getting ready to rock and roll with this baby. Had to wait until I was through with Fury and Ranger Path.

From reading all the comments, this looks like a really nice campaign!

Reacher 8)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-10-17 18:12:41

Latest version can be found on the download page.

I'm upgrading PMC Command Campaign to use CoC Unified Artillery as we speak, so next update for the campaign wont be released until CoC UA has been released.

Then of course users need to download CoC UA as its another addon the campaign requires.

When the next release finally comes, I do hope people enjoy it as the UA really makes it absolutely kickass and I have added (hopefully at that time) tons of small fixes and tweaks to the missions too.

ArcAngel

Re: PMC Command Campaign suggestios for a new camp

Post by ArcAngel » 2003-10-19 14:52:30

BAS OPFOR, New Island and Vehicles,

This is a suggestion that I think it will work great. BAS has release recently the new Island Tonal that is 4 times bigger than Nogova. PMC made a Chain of Command (CoC) Campaign on 4 Islands. I will suggest you to make a campaign with Tonal Island, BAS Vehicles, BAS JAM, BAS OPFOR, CoC, and BAS Ranger and Delta Force just like you did with the PMC CoC campaign but with small change this is the list of small changes to make it more realistic.

1. Make Cover-Ops operations mission. Cover-Ops, recon for intelligence, blow a cache of ammo, destroying communications, artillery, air defenses, tracking and killing an enemy leader, etc… cut be part of a mayor CoC Operation in a next campaign. Example: in one chapter you can make a group of Delta to insert airborne, airasault, or by sea insertion to destroy air defenses for a CoC operation in the next chapter. So you can mix 12 men missions with CoC missions but giving more priority to the CoC missions.

2. Your CoC campaigns go always in the offensive stand. In some occasions you should make missions of enemies counter offensives. Like enemy troops parachuting surprise attack to your main base, riots in cities you already occupied, civilians attacking comboys and running away and massive enemy troops counter offensives all along the front line.

3. make the enemy respond more frequently with indirect fire and Close Air Support (CAS). Example: built a site with enemy artillery and security in a hiding place and make one enemy person AI in the artillery site to be the arty like you do with the truck with the friendly units. Every enemy including snipers with radios can call artillery support. That will make the friendly troops to spot the artillery site with satellite view, or by parachuting recon teams behind enemy lines. Enemy CAS can be use to shutdown friendly aircraft and fire rockets against mayor friendly columns of soldiers. Again like in the artillery situation the friendly commander will be obligated to locate the choppers and choppers security guard site to distroy it before conducting a mayor offencive.

4. Use snipers to track down the leader. Example: there is a scrip that make a sniper to track down the friendly leader once he has entered a trigger. If the leaders CoC commander enters that zone the AI sniper will look for him and try to kill him. That will make the game more interesting because it will make the simulation that the enemy intelligence located the CoC leader and planed an assassination. Put at least 3 enemy sniper teams in different sectors if the CoC commander enters he better has good security because he and only he will be the target.

5. Put civilians in the cities. Like the real world collateral damage is not an option for NATO and ONU propaganda. You can make a trigger that if the CoC commander kills more that 30% of the civilians in the area of operation he losses and is court marshal for crimes against humanity. This is realistic because in an enemy occupied city you will not be able to blow it with 16in naval artillery neither 105mm making the mission more realistic in urban warfare.

6. Make a good story line. Like a story base on what happen in Rwanda, Liberia, Somalia etc… Also make good intros with those story lines.

7. Make logistic and supply an important part of the game. Like a comboy of ammo truck, repair parts trucks, fuel trucks, ambulance, empty trucks to move troops by land, and security for the combat support comboylike 2 jeeps with machine guns M2. With a 12 men squad you can have all the support u need.

I had played most of your missions and campaigns and I had created my own missions taking in consideration those aspects named above. I am also an officer in the US Army and had study combat tactics and logistics. Your missions are good but if you work on those little details they will become outstanding. If you need help or an example mission on those points above just let me know. Thank you for your time and courtesy.

LT Baragano
US Army

Snake_Man

Re: PMC Command Campaign suggestios for a new camp

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-10-19 23:53:24

I will suggest you to make a campaign with Tonal Island
Dont think so at this time. So I'll reply to the below as regarding current PMC Command Campaign tweaking.
1. Make Cover-Ops operations mission.
That should be easy to do, bit more change for the all out assaults you usually have in the campaign.
2. Your CoC campaigns go always in the offensive stand.
This is true and few other people have mentioned it. Its just that it is extremely difficult to make nice (not too easy and not too difficult slaughter fest) enemy assault mission where you must defend, especially with CoC CE. Thats my opinion.

However I could always try to do such defend mission. Any detailed mission design suggestions are very welcome.
3. make the enemy respond more frequently with indirect fire and Close Air Support (CAS).
I was using the Improved AI script where russians could call artillery, but it was sheer murder for your troops because the poor guys didn't report the shelling at all. First indication of trouble was the radio message of how many casualties you got. I didn't really like it so it was removed.

I'm now looking into the CoC UA artillery calls, if those could be used with the enemy forces...

Also using enemy helicopters is difficult, they tend to blast away anything that comes on their way, so you cannot restrict them to attack certain area for example. But dunno if that is such a problem afterall.
5. Put civilians in the cities.
This is a good idea, even if its just few people walking around the city it would make the attacking commander think twice of the tactics used.
6. Make a good story line.
I suck on storylines...
Also make good intros with those story lines.
And in cutscenes too, yet they are more easier to do than the storyline itself :)
7. Make logistic and supply an important part of the game. Like a comboy of ammo truck, repair parts trucks, fuel trucks, ambulance, empty trucks to move troops by land
I have just added to all the missions where suited, two 5t trucks equipped with lots of ammo and they are capable of transporting 12 men.
and security for the combat support comboylike 2 jeeps with machine guns M2.
They dont have any security though... Jeep with MG could be nice touch for the trucks.
If you need help or an example mission on those points above just let me know.
Yes absolutely, if you can please send any example missions you got to flashpoint@nekromantix.com email or visit IRC in quakenet server and channel is #wrptool
Thank you for your time and courtesy.
No thank You. very nice feedback and good ideas.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-10-25 00:48:16

New version is out, this time major upgrade the CoC Unified Artillery!

changelog

Oct 25th, 2003. v1.0b rev 5
- Removed action menu CE interface.
- Brough back the Team menu to order teams.
- Added static M2 mguns and east reinforcements to cmp04-6 missions.
- Changed players rank from Private to Colonel in Malden missions.
- Added M252 Mortars to cmp01-12, 14-19 and 21-30 missions.
- Added M101 howitzers to cmp03-6, 9-12, 15-19 and 22-30 missions.
- Added M109 paladins to cmp04-6, 12, 16-19 and 23-30 missions.
- Added MLRS to cmp06, 11-12, 17-19 and 24-30 missions.
- Added SEAL teams to cmp01-6 and 7-12 missions.
- Changed UH-60MG to UH-60L (BAS) Blackhawk in cmp01-6, 10-12, 15-19 and 23-30 missions.
- Added ammo boxes (JAM 2 HD) to cmp01-6, 8-12, 14-19 and 21-30 missions.
- Added 5t trucks for troop transport/ammo carrying into cmp02-6, 9-12, 14-19 and 24-30 missions.
- Changed markers to USMC ones in cmp01-6 missions.
- Added medic tent to cmp01-8, 14-19 and 21-30 missions.
- Removed 16" NAVAL shelling from cmp07-30 missions.
- Changed Improved AI script v1.1 to cmp08-27 missions.

Download directly from here
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r5.rar

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-10-25 01:09:27

Maybe some background is in order

The new version released contains the The Chain Of Command - Unified Artillery. This means that guys need to learn new procedures in the campaign to bring down that artillery fire. You do not have the Support menu available anymore in the mission which had the unrealistic arty hack.

I would recommend to go through the UA Intro mission first to learn how to operate the UA, in PMC Command Campaign's first mission there is thorough briefing for the UA stuff, but none of the missions (2-30) have that. So learn it before trying the campaign for maximum of effect.

Then comes in the gameplay balance. This is major issue at the moment and only missions 4-6 have been so far tweaked to have more demanding enemy forces to counter this new US artillery arsenal. I will continue tweaking the force balance for the missions and all suggestions or ideas are welcome. So if you find some missions dead easy now, its to be considered as bug or work in progress issue.

Also its possible that some artillery assets are in such terrain conditions that their fire will be obscured either by buildings or hills or in Nogova missions the AI might wonder into ocean and drown. please let me know immediately if you find something like this.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the PMC Command Campaign with UA, but dont ask me how to shoot M101's.

Download CoC Unified Artillery from their site at
http://www.thechainofcommand.com

or from our download mirror here
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... ty_100.zip

Some other mirrors
http://hem.passagen.se/tnfrocket/in/CoC_Arty_100.zip (click Save As...)

http://www.warfaregames.com/nuke/module ... &title=COC

http://www.ofpboneyard.com/coc_arty.zip

http://www.ofpec.com/addons/addon_detail.php?ID=440
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalCenturion
Recruit

Post by DigitalCenturion » 2003-11-03 11:15:26

Hia
I just checked out the campaign this weekend and i must say i was quite impressed, so good work!

However, i have (as always ;)) some suggestions, primarily regarding the opposing forces:

Could you make a version of the campaign that would use better enemy soldiers and vehicles from addons. For example, the newly released VDV RF Airborne troops in conjunction with the BMD-3/3M from the DKM/AKM74 APC pack, Lasers SF pack (an update making in jam compatible was also released) which includes Naval Infantry that could be used as the "generic" enemy (since all the campaigns are on islands which would be pretty logical for the Naval Infantry to assault and hold). Sigmas T72 and T80 pack are also excellent and much better than the standard russian tanks. Upgraded M1-tanks are also included (tough only cpp changes, but still). DKMs Mi-28 Helo could also nicely supplement enemy air power, as well as footmunch's MiG-27 ground attack aircraft.
I know it is alot of work but it would definatively be better than to fight the same old goddamn 80-s era soviet soldiers and crappily modeled vehicles...
I also have an idea for a russian counter-offensive in a mission: Once you reach a certain point the russians could fly in with An-124s (a good addon was released of it) and paradrop BMDs and airborne soldiers. Could create quite a ruckus having suddently enemy forces in places you tought safe

Also i would hope that you would have more varied weather and time of day options.

But all in all it's a great effort so far, and maybe i'm the only one who likes to have better enemies.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-11-03 11:23:32

Could you make a version of the campaign that would use better enemy soldiers and vehicles from addons.
The list you provided is quite long. I always like to play missions which dont use any addons or just the major ones (BAS, SEB etc).

So I'd have to say that to make such an huge addition to the addons needed with all kinds of "new" vehicles... is not very likely from me. I just want to keep it simple.

Hey somedays I even wonder if the LSD ship is too much of eyecandy only on this campaign.
I also have an idea for a russian counter-offensive in a mission:
There is some thought of doing some purely russian offensive mission where you have to defend your position(s).

All ideas / suggestions are welcome.
Also i would hope that you would have more varied weather and time of day options.
What sorts of weather & times are you hoping for?

DigitalCenturion
Recruit

Post by DigitalCenturion » 2003-11-03 11:26:42

Oh and some more ideas i tought about:
It would be nice if you could be given dedicated smaller squads such as AT hunter/killer squads to deal with specific threats, for example to send after those shilkas so you could launch that airborne assault without being afraid to loose half of the force

Also, it would be nice if one could be given a jeep or humvee in the beginning of a mission to get to places better overlooking the area of operations (the Blackhawks arent very discreet, mind you..)

DigitalCenturion
Recruit

Post by DigitalCenturion » 2003-11-03 14:16:39

About the addons: Fair enough, i figured you wouldn't most likely do it anyways :) It's too bad, but hey, i understand your point of view too. I'll just have to edit the missions myself, which kinda kills any surprise factors and stuff since i then know exactly where all the enemies are...

About the weather: oh i dont know, some mission in stormy weather, some in early morning fog

ericz

Post by ericz » 2003-11-13 18:39:08

Started the campaign on Monday and I like it alot so far (I am only on mission 2!) Great Idea combining the COC engine and UA with there excellent addons.

I played through mission one about 9 times and could never get a completion of the objective even though I decimated the OPFOR. I tried doing patrols around the perimeter of the airfield, posting my men at the four corners of the objective area, etc. and nothing worked. Eventually I just endmission, that sucked. I'm working on mission 2 but this time I had a technical problem. After about 30 minutes of playing I couldn't set waypoints for any of the groups. No matter where I clicked not waypoint would be set. I tried toggling from Halt to WP mode and nothing. Pretty frustrating as I had spent all that time positioning my men and was about ready to attack (still trying to get used to COC).

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-11-13 21:04:27

could never get a completion of the objective even though I decimated the OPFOR.
Thats bug on the ending trigger, you must destroy the enemy helicopters/vehicles too. I have put this on the list of issues to be fixed and it will be fixed on next release.
After about 30 minutes of playing I couldn't set waypoints for any of the groups.
Was that after a savegame load because earlier that caused the waypoint dialog not to come up. But then again I believe the UA + CE together causes the mission savegame files to be corrupt so OFP will crash when loading such savegame. Dunno really, havent tested it too much.

But if you encountered this lack of waypoint adding in middle of non-savegame-load mission, then its a new thing I've heard of.

ericz

Post by ericz » 2003-11-14 02:30:57

Thanks for the help on the first one. I am going to revert because I hate to endmission. I like seeing how well (or bad) I did. ::)

Unfortunately, the waypoint add function quit working on a non-savegame mission. This happened the very first (virgin try) time i played mission 2. Oh well. Since I am going to play the first mission again that just means I'll have to keep trying later on mission 2.

m21man
Recruit

Post by m21man » 2003-11-27 19:02:29

There needs to be enemy counter-artillery fire in some of the more advanced missions. The Soviets' lack of artillery makes the campaign much easier than it should be ;D .
Hard work takes time for you to feel its effects, laziness has immediate rewards.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-11-27 19:22:09

m21man will have his hands full in the next version where there are some additional enemies to balance the added CoC UA :)

m21man
Recruit

Post by m21man » 2003-11-29 18:12:44

m21man will have his hands full in the next version where there are some additional enemies to balance the added CoC UA
Are you just adding more heavy armor, or are you going to add enemy air support?
Hard work takes time for you to feel its effects, laziness has immediate rewards.

bikecop
Recruit

Post by bikecop » 2004-03-28 15:53:53

That would be awsome if when you take a town or a road block then suddenly soviet hinds come in and try to clean your troops out then soviet tanks come in and flank your troops...would love to see some story line with it to cutseens and all with your comanders and all...hope this ones not the only version...I also have some talent with making missions (But lost my most of my scripting abilities :( ) and campaigns adding some music with the campaign will be grusum over all well put together piece of work.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-03-28 17:23:28

Any suggestions how to proceed with enemy air support?

Also... there has been very little, if any bug reports lately, is anyone playing this or is it bug free? (heh bug free, thats a good one!).

bikecop
Recruit

Post by bikecop » 2004-03-29 02:47:33

I had come accross with some commands that can create units If you will alow me snake man to experiment with these then come back to you and tell you how? Then I could probobly come up with some scripts to do this for you (Be warned NO PROMISES)

Andres

Post by Andres » 2004-04-18 22:49:58

Hi,

Well in the first mission you are suposed to sieze the airport, I do, however I take it but I never do I win the mission, what's wrong here?.

TA-50

Post by TA-50 » 2004-04-22 23:59:20

Hi,

Well in the first mission you are suposed to sieze the airport, I do, however I take it but I never do I win the mission, what's wrong here?.
I had the same issue and had to use BIS's end mission cheat to continue. I moved not only the AI onto the position labeled as the capture point for the airfeild on the map, but also my own character. Still nothing. Otherwise, the rest of the campaign has proceded well.

Andres

Post by Andres » 2004-04-23 22:22:44

Where can I get that cheat?.

Return to “PMC Baltic Command”