VTE MP evening May 23rd after thoughts

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

VTE MP evening May 23rd after thoughts

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-24 12:32:16

Vietnam: The Experience multiplayer evening May 23rd, 2009.

Since the early OFP days when VTE was first released there was no multiplayer activity, in fact there was zero activity regarding PMC, I cannot remember ever playing VTE online, but I did not play OFP generally online so that was the reason. Nobody ever came to talk with me about VTE MP, sure I think there were couple of missions releases but that's about it, I never saw, never heard of any VTE MP community.

When ArmA came along and we released the first pre-alpha VTE versions, we immediately (for reasons unknown or forgotten by me now) started to play MP with it. In fact it was my policy that I wont be supporting any single player missions like in OFP, just make the addons and then play some MP with it. We had players online, regulars on most nights, not sure about the numbers but perhaps in the average of 3 perhaps which is very small scale stuff. But then there were long periods of time when there was not much players connecting, for example our server was even down for days at time before someone "bothered" to mention this to me. So it wasn't that active stuff, only the real hard core types were playing... when they had the time/mood.

Then came the first big announced release of VTE which was the "Final Alpha", it was sent to news sites and forums everywhere I could think of. At first it felt like there is not much activity/feedback, but then I started to notice that hey... our Linux dedicated server seems to get good activity, it was about 5+ guys online there most of the time, ALL the time, I mean maybe I was just up at the right times but it felt like every time I looked ingame browser, there was someone playing in our server. Not only our server, but there was about two to three other servers constantly up, sometimes "few" people playing in them too.

Then I announced the PMC Saturday Night VTE Special event and maybe it was that maybe not, but when I was preparing missions during the week for this event, I witnessed our server having up to 10 people almost every night!

Then last night we had the first VTE MP event on ArmA.

I say first because it was so successful event that I'm sure I'm organizing something similar in the future. Also I must say that somehow I feel that "what the f did you organize you punk?" as it was just me being in the server for 12 hours straight playing the new/fixed missions that I did during the week... but dunno really what else you can do then, hmm. Anyways.

The evening was total success, at peak times we had 24 players in mission and total 26 connected (later someone mentioned that the 26 were in mission?). We even had the unfortunate thing to happen that the server got full, we had 20 slot mission running and even me (I had to disconnect for short time) got locked out from the server and had to wait for someone to disconnect before I could get back in. That in my view was very bad; you guys have a special MP event and then your goddamn server is full? That is no good man, no good at all...

I was scared that the server might be over crowded with people, but felt like that how would your piece of junk NAM mod gather so many people that forget about it, don't even dream of such things. We'll, boy was I wrong :)

ArmA ingame browser May 23rd, 2009.

Not only VTE got huge success in multiplayer at one time (peak moment) and overall great participation every day... we shot off to the TOP-4 in ArmA ingame browser which just totally blew my mind. What else could merit your work, than to have the mod filled in so many players online that it gets that high in ingame browser. What can I say, I'm honestly moved by this fact... the insane amount of work and sweat I put into this mod, has paid off in single evening now. I am so fucking proud of VTE even in its Alpha state that I cannot find the words :oops:

And few moments later 23 players ingame.

I'm sad that my screenshot of the 24 players ingame and 26 total logged didn't come out right (grabclipsave sometimes saves ArmA dialog frames, but not the content, so if anyone has screenshot of 24 or more people ingame, please post). Anyways I don't think anyone needs "proof" that we had 24 guys in the mission :)

Alphadelta's group photo.

We had tons of fun on the evening, we played many of the new missions and they worked great overall.

I would like to thank everybody who participated, even those who tried to connect but couldn't due addon configuration errors or perhaps the server being full.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”