Iran airbase

Iran theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

Iran airbase

Post by ccc » 2007-04-22 01:28:25

Bandar abbas

well, according to this .. it should be 03/21, one runwy, two sq of F-4E.

http://www.scramble.nl/ir.htm

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-04-22 16:59:34

It's sure not Bandar Abbas NAS (Havadarya) or Bandar Abbas International.

Bandar Abbas International has a militay part in northern end, with a SA-5 very close.

Bandar Abbas NAS seem to only have choppers and are protected by a SA-2 on the Google pics.

Bandar Abbas International has 22 Hardened Aircraft Shelthers with additional dispersal parkings, AAA, ammo bunkers etc etc. I think the pic you found are from somewhere inland Iran, but I haven't been able to find it.

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-22 18:15:48

From Google:

Bandar Abbas NAS

Bandar Abbas Intl:
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-22 22:03:41

87th_striker wrote:Bandar Abbas International has a militay part in northern end, with a SA-5 very close.
Bandar Abbas NAS seem to only have choppers and are protected by a SA-2 on the Google pics.
How do you identify which SAM site is located on the satellite image?

Could you tell me all Iran airbases (or ODS etc) which you know has SAM site located near it?

I could then add the sites into next to the airbase, beefing up the defenses. Sometimes it feels that OCA strikes are too easy with the KS-19 defending them, usually they never bring us down and when they start to fire... the airbase is already history, so they are only like revenge weapon really.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-04-23 20:24:56

Well, I kind of go through the pics, scan for what is prepared there. Sometimes I find what others have found before me, and other times I find something new.

A basic assumption is that Alpha areas for air defence are preplanned dug in positions revetments for mobile SAM's. You also have fixed sites. I guess I have mapped up most of North Korea, but I've just started on Iran.

You can start with turning on military layers in Google Earth.

In Korea you will find an area SAM covering a large area. Then two SAM's covering the airbase (SA-3) and a lot of revetments for radar controlled and barrage AAA.

In Iran they tend to do it similar, with less AAA and more mobile stuff. The reason for this is that revetments and fixed SAM-sites are so easily ID'd. The Iranians have learned.

You can ID the different site's by the radar or concrete pad patterns.

If you take a look at Bushehr AB, you'll find two fixed Hawk-sites and one SA-5 site. SOC has tracked down most SA-5 and SA-2 sites, and he's good at it.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded ... ber/406094 You can download his findings.

For Iran the easy thing to spot a site is to look for a large fenced area containing roads and concrete pads. The engagement zone will not be obstructed by tall buildings, hills or mountains.

At Busher you'll also find sites not posted on Google. They are prepared sites for mobilization of more SAM's.

If you ask yourself; Where would I put the SAM's, what types and how many do I need ? .... you'll find them.

Bushehr is a nest of SAM's. I would expect a wartime SAM number of 4 Hawks or similar, At least one of the new mobile bad ass units, several of the other mobile types, radar and IR + AAA.

Busher is so tactically important that it basicly would be a nogo area for any hostile plane. Assets to target guided weapons like JDAM's, JSOW's Tomahawks etc would be available and operating very smart with deception tactics, and of course datalinked.

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-04-23 20:29:16

BTW, from some pics you can ID the radars, others the missiles or necessary support sturctures for fuel maintainance.