Q about file names for auto tiling

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

BenBen
Recruit

Q about file names for auto tiling

Post by BenBen » 2003-07-13 22:49:00

I have read the Texture Tutorial, the Cate readme and i have looked at the default korean textures in terrainview but for my life i cannot figure out this part of the texture tutorial:
quote:
Tile information is located at texture.bin, each tile "set" (or group) contains maximum of 16 tiles. Tiling filename Microprose "standard" we all should be using is using the following rules:

<1> <4> <3> .pcx
resolution is as above, H, M, L, or T name is just a name - but only 4 chars. Direction is used for tiling.

The first two give the set, e.g., 00 for beach section etc. The next one is a HEX number 0-15 with 10=A, 11=B etc. You make this up by using the direction of the "other feature" included in the tile. So, say its a forest road.
Everything is clear to me except for the bold part. What does "set" mean? Or in other words, why do I have to identify my texture group/set/style (=forest, desert, farm, city etc.) again with this double digit when can do it by the four letter name preceeding the double digit?
Does this mean hfarm000.pcx is in a different set/group then hfarm010.pcx or is hcity000.pcx in the same set/group with hlake000.pcx? Is there a list with number vs. set (00=beach as mentioned above)?

Thank you for your help and patience!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Q about file names for auto tiling

Post by Snake Man » 2003-07-14 03:55:00

quote:Originally posted by BenBen:
What does "set" mean?

Set is maximum of 16 tiles, which all has the same color palette. This tile-set stuff is configured in the texture.bin file.
quote:why do I have to identify my texture group/set/style (=forest, desert, farm, city etc.) again with this double digit when can do it by the four letter name preceeding the double digit?

Umm dunno. its <tile><name><number> like

HDSRT301
HDSRT302
HDSRT303
HDSRT304
HDSRT305
HDSRT306
HDSRT307
HDSRT308
HDSRT309
HDSRT30A
HDSRT30B
HDSRT30C
HDSRT30D
HDSRT30E
HDSRT30F

That is almost full 15 tile set. H size of third DSRT tile-set. The digits tells CATE what the tile orientation is if its a road/river/city/transition tile.
quote:Does this mean hfarm000.pcx is in a different set/group then hfarm010.pcx

Well we can have anykind of names in the tile sets thats just how the texture.bin guy is configuring it, but lets assume we are talking about the MicroProse standard here which CATE understands...

hfarm010.pcx is tenth tile of hfarm0* and they both are in the same tile-set.
quote:hcity000.pcx in the same set/group with hlake000.pcx?

No, if the texture.bin creator used the standard method.

It can be however if some lamer did the texture.bin :)

With that example I'd say you have hcity0* and hlake0* tile-sets.
quote:Is there a list with number vs. set (00=beach as mentioned above)?
Sorry dont understand that question, I'm a retard. Draw me a picture?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

BenBen
Recruit

Re: Q about file names for auto tiling

Post by BenBen » 2003-07-15 22:10:00

Thanks SnakeMan, i understand now.
Please disregard my last question, it arose from my misunderstanding of tile nameing.