New HUD pictures!

Falcon 4 cockpits discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Butcher_ss
Colonel

New HUD pictures!

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-08-29 16:43:00

Hey guys. I was recently looking through some F-16 pictures on the net and I noticed an F-16 with a different kind of HUD. It seems that this HUD has a sort of two screens, the one on top of the other and seems that it has a night vision system on it since it has a glowing green colour. I would like to add the picture of it my unfortunately I don't know if it is possible to add a .jpg image. If I can please respond to this so I can add the picture. If anyone knows what HUD I'm talking about could help in the design of it. :(
Butcher_ss.

Zaggy
Colonel

Re: New HUD pictures!

Post by Zaggy » 2002-08-31 17:04:00

If its what im thinking of, the HUD was on Blk 40/42 a/c (Initially referred to as Night Falcons), and is used in conjunction with the LANTIRN pods. The HUD is designed to overlay imagery from the FLIR onto the HUD, possibly in some sort of holographic form, for added depth perception...

Im pretty sure this is probably what u are talking about... Its a Big Chunky looking HUD when compared to HUD's you see on other Blocks of a/c...

That said, i wonder what will happen to these HUD's when the aircraft are rotated thru the common cockpit program?? (all USAF F-16 Blk 40/42/50/52 a/c are getting a new COMMON cockpit, so a pilot can hop from a Blk 40 to a Blk 52 to a Blk 42 and see the same knobs and buttons and switch in the same places doing the same thing - Something for cockpit-meisters to look forward to... The first Squadrons have recent been complete, if memory serves. So flying a Standard Blk 52 cockpit in 'Korea 2005' may not be strictly 100% accurate.)
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell
Old-School, Grumpy and Anti-Social
Also to be found lurking round FighterOps

Return to “Falcon 4 Cockpits”