Destroyed runway, can in flight planes land?

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Destroyed runway, can in flight planes land?

Post by Snake Man » 2008-11-05 17:27:43

Okay here is the scenario; in campaign a flight takes off from airbase, then the airbase is destroyed so the runway is completely out of order. Now the flight returns to the airbase... but can it land there or not?

Maybe it works differently on campaign 2D and 3D.

I see this having few possibilities in Falcon.

1) planes land to the destroyed runway without problems (passing the craters).
2) planes land to the destroyed runway and blow up because hitting the craters.
3) planes divert to alternate airbase.

Does anyone have any experience how does destroyed runway work for in-flight planes, can they land, will they divert... what happens?

I'm thinking of what happens to all those planes in air when I knock out their airbases. I would love to see them (trying to) divert or blowing up as they try to land (which in reality no sane pilot would do of course).
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

molnibalage
Colonel
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Modeling

Re: Destroyed runway, can in flight planes land?

Post by molnibalage » 2008-11-05 17:42:39

Which version are we talking about?

In FF4 if someone destroy a runway when THAT moment are in 3D world you can land if you don't move over a crater. If you try land a land with 0% stat you can do it just evade the craters. AFTER repairing a runway you can see patches. AI can move above them but you will be expodle if you try. This is a bug, I think.

When an AB is disabled the tower guide you to another but in spite this fact you can land as I have said.
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-11-05 20:42:47

Yep I didn't mention Falcon version, but any versions information would suit for starters.

That is indeed a let down bug if AI can land on a destroyed airbase. In FF4 it is the same for 2D and 3D? So any in flight planes can safely return to their bases?

It would be very cool if the in flight planes would have to divert or would be stranded without a fuel and crash. Anyways, good to know, thanks for the info.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-11-06 01:10:09

my obvservaton in 2d map, kurile/RV.

- AI ac still returning to their destroyed AFB, then no flights generated. dunno if they are destroyed/crashed or not.

molnibalage
Colonel
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2008-11-06 18:42:26

Snake Man wrote:Yep I didn't mention Falcon version, but any versions information would suit for starters.

That is indeed a let down bug if AI can land on a destroyed airbase. In FF4 it is the same for 2D and 3D? So any in flight planes can safely return to their bases?

It would be very cool if the in flight planes would have to divert or would be stranded without a fuel and crash. Anyways, good to know, thanks for the info.
No, AI CAN'T land on destroyed AB in ANY situatuon. Olny you can do it. AI can move accross the patches after the repairing you can't.
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Aceman

Post by Aceman » 2008-11-08 14:25:51

Snake Man wrote:Okay here is the scenario; in campaign a flight takes off from airbase, then the airbase is destroyed so the runway is completely out of order. Now the flight returns to the airbase... but can it land there or not?

Does anyone have any experience how does destroyed runway work for in-flight planes, can they land, will they divert... what happens?
Hya!

They divert!Target was Kuumni Airbase. As we came back, our Runway at Taegu was destroyed. We went over to the divert field ( Kumi Highway Strip, ~30miles NW from Taegu IIRC ), where the whole Squad(in-flight planes) was redirected to land.One of the most exciting moments i've ever had with this sim in nearly 10 years !

Install was the 1.0.0.4RV.exe

Two screenies from the Divert Field ... :shock:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s74/Azeman72/a41.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s74/Azeman72/a42.jpg

Return to “Falcon 4 General”