Battalion/Brigade surrenders - why?

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Battalion/Brigade surrenders - why?

Post by Sherlock » 2008-05-13 01:03:08

I've noticed that units, usually battalions but sometimes whole brigades in my testing, surrender for no apparent reason and disappear from the map.

Does anyone have any clues as to what causes this to happen?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-05-13 01:50:01

i think the "surrender" event is called by a calculated value.

if a unit/battalion has poor experience, low supply, low morale, low combat vehicle quantity, and low physical condition/exhausted, it may reach a "surrender" value.

OR - close to (a) strong opponent unit(s), forced to capture a strongheld objective.

my observations..

- in the begining of war, some units at frontline/contact line, surrender immediately.

- enemy ground unit being attacked, as it's vehicle quantity lowered to 1-3 items, tends to surrender.(combined low morale, exhuasted, etc) of course, i also noted armor or mechanized unit with only one vehicle left, refuse to surrender and disappear.

- in RV, i forced a ground unit to capture an obj quarded by several red units, my unit surrender immediately before moving to contact the enemies..

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2008-05-13 02:05:00

Thanks ccc,

very good, insightful points for me to consider in my situation. Especially, in my particular case, the following:

1. Strong opponents
2. Exhausted friendly units
3. Poor experience (beginning of campaign)

I'm trying simulating an amphibious landing so that gives you some setting info.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-05-13 02:43:07

I'm trying simulating an amphibious landing so that gives you some setting info.
Inchon landing?

amphibious landing in F4..counts on "reinforcement" event/time setting. in most cases..the reinforcement units just won't show up for unknown reason.

Landing troops in a hostile environment, always make them hesitate to launch offensive! in taiwan campaign, invason units are pre-occupied coastline obj as beachheads, to help driving them foreward.

another trick could be, add few independent, elite armour units with pre-designated obj, let them moving to expand a safe landing area. organized battalions may follow later.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2008-05-13 17:10:31

ccc wrote:
Inchon landing?

amphibious landing in F4..counts on "reinforcement" event/time setting. in most cases..the reinforcement units just won't show up for unknown reason.

Landing troops in a hostile environment, always make them hesitate to launch offensive! in taiwan campaign, invason units are pre-occupied coastline obj as beachheads, to help driving them foreward.

another trick could be, add few independent, elite armour units with pre-designated obj, let them moving to expand a safe landing area. organized battalions may follow later.
No, not Inchon landing. Another location.

I'm not having any problem getting the units to show up (I pretty much understand the reinforcement process). I think it's the hostile environment I've set up. I'm not having any issues getting the units to move to their assigned objective (I'm using the ground tab with the AObject field assignment and the capture command).

Good idea on the elite units. I have notice they tend to last longer. I've been using elite recon squads in my experiment. I'll try building on that success.

Thanks for your input! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Return to “Falcon 4 General”