Terrain shivering

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Hammer

Terrain shivering

Post by Hammer » 2003-03-17 10:46:00

Hi all
I have Twealti's terran update with forest but I also noticed shivering especially
when manouvering with jet. It is something like blinks on terrain. I heared
something about anisotropic filtering but I have GeForce4 MX 420 and the box
in falcon graphics menu doesnt appear. When enabling filtering in windows and
start falcon whole cockpit is messed up. Firstly I dont see numbers on the HUD
and DED and secondly my cockpit has some grids all over it. That shivering is
tireing my eyes. Do you have any opinion how to reduce or remove shivering?
Hammer

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Re: Terrain shivering

Post by Widowmaker » 2003-03-17 20:00:00

open Falcon4/falconSP_config_editor.exe
goto Hardware cofiguration
enable the Graphic distortion checkbox
hit the 'Apply Patches' button

now start Falcon
goto
Setup/Graphics/Advanced
and enable Anisiotropic Filtering

good luck
/widmak
Widmak

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 2003-03-17 23:18:00

Hi Widowmaker
Graphic distortion checkbox was applied before and it doesn't allow me to get anisiotropic filtering in game.Only what I can do is to select Always allow anisotropic filtering checkbox and it appears in game but I dont know if that has any effect in game because I can still see shivering.

When I used your Hires altitude patch I had no shivering at all. I tried to find it but it seems your website at members.chello.nl is not working. Do you have other website maybe?

By the way do you still work on hires terrain and if you do maybe I can help. I would like to make 256x256 tiles or 512x512 but I dont know how to do it.Can you give me some advice? :)
Hammer

Cricket
Recruit

Post by Cricket » 2003-03-18 06:53:00

With 3rd party programs from the community its very easy to make textures and put them into Falcon. You'll need a program like photoshop, paintshop pro or download an open source program from the Web. Not sure of one though. Figure out what textures you want to add/modify, then i believe you insert them with tilemanger(i think, please correct me if im wrong) which takes care of Falcon's palette limitations by adding a new palette for u.(again pls. correct if wrong). More detail to it than that though, so id recommend reading some o the tutorials.

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Widowmaker » 2003-03-18 08:24:00

quote:Originally posted by Hammer:
Hi Widowmaker
Graphic distortion checkbox was applied before and it doesn't allow me to get anisiotropic filtering in game.Only what I can do is to select Always allow anisotropic filtering checkbox and it appears in game but I dont know if that has any effect in game because I can still see shivering.

When I used your Hires altitude patch I had no shivering at all. I tried to find it but it seems your website at members.chello.nl is not working. Do you have other website maybe?

By the way do you still work on hires terrain and if you do maybe I can help. I would like to make 256x256 tiles or 512x512 but I dont know how to do it.Can you give me some advice? :)

My HighAltPatch is in the downloadsection of THIS site
I removed my site, as it was just an experiment for me on how to build a basic site, made it got bored with it and removed it :)

No I am currently not working on Korea stuff at all Thomas (Tom2) is.

If you wanna help making tiles I suggest you help on the ODS tileset, wich has the highest priority right now.
Iceland Hires terrain is not to be hurried too much :)

KingGeorge, Ami or Snakeman should be able to give you leads on were to start if you like to help them out on the last remaining tilesets for ODS

/widmak
Widmak

Hammer

Post by Hammer » 2003-03-18 11:17:00

I would gladly help in ODS with tiles. Currently I'm beta tester for ODS.I hope Snakeman will help me with basics.
:cool:
Hammer

Return to “Falcon 4 General”