Upcoming Nevada v0.5

Nevada theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

pipewrench
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: None of the above, I don't edit...

Re: Upcoming Nevada v0.5

Post by pipewrench » 2010-03-21 04:11:59

Ah, the secret stuff! I knew there was something that kept me hanging around here.

No sudden interest here Snakeman :) . Been patiently waiting for that secret stuff.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2010-03-22 22:03:16

Are you guys going to alter object locations anymore from what they are now?

I have a few ideas that have been awaiting the next FF5 DB release, and I don't want to edit up Nevada v0.5 only to find my stuff is incompatible because objects got shuffled around again. :shock: :mrgreen: 8-)

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2010-03-23 00:03:26

Has anyone successfully loaded this in FF5? I'm getting a CTD, but I don't know if it's universal with FF5, or just with my hacked install- I have a lot of modifications to the stock FF5 on my rig.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2010-03-23 09:29:36

alter object locations anymore from what they are now?
I think Iceburg was talking about adding Area 51 airbase and changing the last vegas airbase type. But I can't remember if the Red Dog's airbase work was on queue for the upcoming release (my F4 files are backupped on dvd so I cant check).
Has anyone successfully loaded this in FF5?
This is for AF, OF and RV.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2010-03-25 17:14:10

I already added Area 51 to the theater. I believe that you already added RedDog's airbases into it and the stations.dat was in there. All of the bases that were slated to be removed are gone. The new_te.tac however was never redone so all the bases were showing up as 05/23 in runway assignments. I fixed this already and changed 2 of the AB assignments in Vegas. I changed Nellis to 05/23 as it fits better into the flow of the Vegas terrain. The same applies to NLV airport to Suwon (14/32). All others are assigned. I did not put a Tacan at Area 51. In real life I would think it doesn't exist.

I have posted some very early images of Las Vegas in my wing forum. Here is the link to it. http://www.72ndvfw.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5529
http://www.72ndvfw.org Find me on Skype Iceburg84

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2010-03-25 19:47:00

Here is a new UI map to make it easier to see the text in the UI and more definition for the terrain as well.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2010-03-25 20:38:58

Snake Man wrote:
You know, I really don't get you sometimes.

Of the 4 versions of Falcon mentioned, only one is still being developed as far as I know- I don't frequent the OF forums but I believe that they're done developing the sim.

Furthermore, of the folks that participate in the PMC forums, and particularly Nevada, I'd argue that I'm right up there with the best and brightest in trying to untangle the problem of creating a "working" campaign. And, I'd argue that few have released as much content (except yourself of course) as anyone.

Yet, you seem to be stuck on trying to alienate me from your community. I don't understand that. The line of Falcon developers has grown so large that I just get lost in the crowd I suppose.

Best of luck with your new Nevada theater.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2010-03-25 20:40:48

Iceburg wrote:I already added Area 51 to the theater. I believe that you already added RedDog's airbases into it and the stations.dat was in there. All of the bases that were slated to be removed are gone. The new_te.tac however was never redone so all the bases were showing up as 05/23 in runway assignments. I fixed this already and changed 2 of the AB assignments in Vegas. I changed Nellis to 05/23 as it fits better into the flow of the Vegas terrain. The same applies to NLV airport to Suwon (14/32). All others are assigned. I did not put a Tacan at Area 51. In real life I would think it doesn't exist.

I have posted some very early images of Las Vegas in my wing forum. Here is the link to it. http://www.72ndvfw.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5529

According to the "buzz" on the internet from the folks who love to monitor the secret comings and goings of the U.S. government at Groom Lake aka "Area 51", Groom Lake does have a VORTAC and it operates at 117.5 MHz.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2010-03-25 20:47:19

toonces wrote:
Snake Man wrote:
You know, I really don't get you sometimes.

Of the 4 versions of Falcon mentioned, only one is still being developed as far as I know- I don't frequent the OF forums but I believe that they're done developing the sim.

Furthermore, of the folks that participate in the PMC forums, and particularly Nevada, I'd argue that I'm right up there with the best and brightest in trying to untangle the problem of creating a "working" campaign. And, I'd argue that few have released as much content (except yourself of course) as anyone.

Yet, you seem to be stuck on trying to alienate me from your community. I don't understand that. The line of Falcon developers has grown so large that I just get lost in the crowd I suppose.

Best of luck with your new Nevada theater.
Why do you feel that SM is trying to alienate you toonces? I didn't get that out of his answer at all. Creating theaters for FF5 with it's locked database is a non-starter at this time. I think that is all that SM is saying. He hasn't had the time or hasn't taken the time to look into a FF5 installation. The current installer that SM uses has been designed for and only confirmed to work on the three variants he listed. Why take umbrage where none was meant?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2010-03-25 21:44:58

Sherlock wrote:
Iceburg wrote:I already added Area 51 to the theater. I believe that you already added RedDog's airbases into it and the stations.dat was in there. All of the bases that were slated to be removed are gone. The new_te.tac however was never redone so all the bases were showing up as 05/23 in runway assignments. I fixed this already and changed 2 of the AB assignments in Vegas. I changed Nellis to 05/23 as it fits better into the flow of the Vegas terrain. The same applies to NLV airport to Suwon (14/32). All others are assigned. I did not put a Tacan at Area 51. In real life I would think it doesn't exist.

According to the "buzz" on the internet from the folks who love to monitor the secret comings and goings of the U.S. government at Groom Lake aka "Area 51", Groom Lake does have a VORTAC and it operates at 117.5 MHz.
Thanks Sherlock.
I will add a Tacan channel to it then.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2010-03-26 02:29:12

WOOW~ great screenshots, nice tiles! :D

Aggressor
Recruit
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by Aggressor » 2010-03-26 18:46:21

SM release the dogs! Just kidding. I am looking forward for the release. :D

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2010-03-27 17:15:45

Sherlock wrote:
Why do you feel that SM is trying to alienate you toonces? I didn't get that out of his answer at all. Creating theaters for FF5 with it's locked database is a non-starter at this time. I think that is all that SM is saying. He hasn't had the time or hasn't taken the time to look into a FF5 installation. The current installer that SM uses has been designed for and only confirmed to work on the three variants he listed. Why take umbrage where none was meant?

I take umbrage because I'm tired of developing in circles. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

First, despite FF5 having a locked DB, creating theaters for it is not a non-starter. Hustler has stated that the next version of Falcon (anyday now) will have an unlocked master DB for folks to play with. Only the Korea DB will be locked and I understand why. And besides that, has anyone actually asked Hustler for a copy of an unlocked DB? I asked and he gave me one. And since the only ones I see developing campaigns for FF5 are Derstef and I, I'm like 50% of the FF5 campaign developers alive right now :)

Second, I understand that SM developed the installer for FF4 etc, but if FF4 is not the "current" version of Freefalcon, why keep developing for it?

Finally, all I really need is the terrain. I don't need the campaigns. Just the terrain. I'll fill in the objects and write the campaign.

This is the same stuff I've been saying forever now. We can keep jerking off, or we can get serious about developing a theater with working campaigns with some sort of structure. This is relevant to Nevada. With the talent we have here, we could have a Nevada theater working and out the door in a month or less.

Take SM's version 0.5. Import Red Dog's airbase work. Import this Las Vegas stuff (or at least put it in the same x,y location so it doesn't pork anything). Import ccc's mountain terrain edits. Clip and edit the terrain/objects/whatever to a sensible size so we can actually write a campaign in there- we don't need the whole state of Nevada when the fight is taking place around Nellis.

Now, instead of ccc building F-86s and who knows what else, get him to make a few jets we can actually use, eg. a TA-4, A-4F, F-5F, T-38, etc. Get someone who skins to make a bunch of adversary skins. Use the ones I've made if you want. I must have 5 books of references on adversaries here at home.

Everything but the jets we already have and frankly, we can make due with what we have. We have 4 A-4 models and an F-5 already. We also have all sorts of F-18s and F-16s, more than enough to make some bad guys and some good guys with their own skins.

I've written who knows how many scenarios and OOBs. Take the existing terrain, make the imports, compile the .cam and .tri, and we could have a professional Nevada in a month. Maybe less.

With a few minor .cam edits, the theater would work with OF/AF and FF5. I mean, if I build the OOB, an AF guy can tweak the AF .cam and an OF guy can tweak the OF .cam as required. Like OF has certain blocks of F-16 that FF5 doesn't- stuff like that.

Now you have a theater that people will want to install and fly. Not some partially finished half-build, not working theater. I can write whatever we want- an air/ground war, air war only, whatever.

The potential of Nevada is unlimited. All I need is working terrain. I don't know why this is so hard to get. Instead of all of us working on our own pet projects, we could team up and actually do something. But then when you make something that cuts out FF5, you've cut out 1/3 of the community-and me- and no offense but I don't see a whole lot of new AF campaigns being built. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope you see, now, what I'm getting at.

We could be here if we'd just try to work together to finish something.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2010-03-27 19:24:17

Toonces,
You make some good points. However, as an AF flyer I have no motivation towards FF5 work in general nor the Nevada theater specifically. The theater has never interested me (I have never even loaded it). As to getting ccc to make models I think that is his decision to make since it is his time. Perhaps you can bribe him? :mrgreen:

I agree with you that the installer should be updated for FF5 since it is the most current version, but SM appears to have lost interest in Falcon again and probably won't take the time to update it (is my guess). So someone else will need to step forward and do that. I know T_Rex at one time did some work on that. Maybe he would be willing to update it since it's for FF5 although I understand he is not active anymore with FF things. Perhaps there is someone else out there lurking in the wings which has experience with the NSIS installer scripting language. Here is the main thread regarding the installer: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20958

But it still all boils down to a working terrain right? The ground troops need to be able to travel across the different routes. That is the gist of the issue, correct?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-03-27 23:53:11

To sum it all up without hurting any ones feelings, here is few PMC facts for you:

- All user made edits (for example Iceburgs work, ccc's tiles etc) will be naturally accepted to next release.
- I don't care to hear broken theater trolling in PMC Tactical forums, you have places like frugals/freefalcon/etc to do that.
- I tried to organize theater development in 2009, not much came out of it so I have to do stuff mostly on my own.
- PMC have not lost any interest of Falcon editing.
- Theaters will be updated to FF5.x if the file formats are changed back to normal.

Now lets get the discussion back to real Nevada v0.5 developing.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2010-03-28 00:59:27

Hi Toonces
Let me put 2 cent in here because I need to voice a little. I decided to work on Nevada for 3 reasons.
1. I wanted to try my hand at doing these mods.
2. My Wing, that flies AF has a vision of flying Red Flag in the place that RL pilots do. This is 80 reasons alone for me to do this.
3. I was stationed there for 4 years in the 57th and it is a nostalgic thing for me.

I am always willing to share any work that I do, give up my time and resources to support the falcon community at large. When my terrain work is complete I will make it available to anybody that would like it but not until it is finished. I like to fly FF5 on occasion and it is a very fine piece of development. All Falcon flavors have their good and bad but for my wing AF is the only platform that is solid with 24 players, so trust me when I say AF development is far from dead. I have done work for FF and support the team whenever I can. Some of my work is on your HD. If you need something from me send me a PM on FF and I will be more than happy to help if I can.
Sorry Snake Man, didn't mean to derail this thread.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2010-03-29 21:38:41

Alright guys, maybe I'm the one out of line.

Back on track, maybe we can help one another here.

If you're looking to develop for a new version of Nevada, what would you be looking to do with it (Iceburg)? Are you guys going to be doing TEs only, or are you into campaigns?

I have an idea that I've been toying with, but haven't actually done yet. It would be easy enough to try in AF and then maybe, if it works, I could translate it to FF. I've been thinking of developing a Nellis campaign based around Desert Storm 1990/1991 timeframe. I like that timeframe because it has a lot of old school jets in it still, but also features the new school jets. For example, on the Navy side we have A-6s, A-7s alongside F-14s and F-18As. On the USAF side we have F-111s and F-4Gs alongside F-15C/Es and F-16Cs. So, this has a lot of neat stuff in it to play with. Plus, we're still in the AIM-7 world (not sure how hard that would be to implement in the DB, might take some creativity in the OOB); I prefer AIM-7 to AMRAAM because it facilitates more BVR engagements.

I strongly prefer the stock Nevada Redflag1/save2.cam for editing. This is the campaign that has the red/blue divide just SW of Nellis. This keeps the fight in and around Nellis.

I think a good, semi-realistic Red Flag type campaign could be scripted with a Desert Storm OOB against USAF/USN aggressors/adversaries flying A-4, F-5, Kfir, F-16A. I think I have enough knowledge to write it as an "air war only" attrition campaign, but it could be a ground war too. If we do an air war only, it would be easier to translate to OF and FF because there would be fewer OOB edits. I can edit the IADS OOB (or work with SM), to plug in the Iraqi IADS that featured US/French weapons alongside Russian weapons.

Maybe we could work on this together and then plug it into a slot in the next release. What do you guys think? With Red Dog's AB work and ccc's terrain edits, and Iceburgs edits, this could really be something special.

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2010-03-30 15:03:57

Hi Toonces
Ck PM

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2010-04-09 17:56:25

My Nevada work will be on hold. He had a death in our family.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-22 04:54:17

I have released the final v0.5 of this theater, it has been confirmed working with FreeFalcon 5.5.1 now.

Here is the official download link topic.

PMC since 1984

-Pilgrim-

Re: Download Nevada Theater

Post by -Pilgrim- » 2010-07-23 11:55:01

Thanks Snake Man and all others involved! Tried a couple of missions in FF551...everything went fine. Looks great too.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2010-07-25 14:56:38

another rough try on [theater selection icon / TGA ].. for FF only. 1024x768, 16bit TGA.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192 ... gatest.jpg

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2010-07-25 15:02:49

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-25 15:31:51

Ah yeah multiupload rules, thanks! However please use archiver to pack (rar or 7zip but not zip) when you transfer files over the internet, its been discussed for years now, should not have to brought it up anymore :)

I'll try to implement this on the next version, needs some NSIS installer trickery to get working, but should be doable.

PMC since 1984

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Re: Download Nevada Theater

Post by RingoSurf » 2010-07-26 14:08:32

in campaign mode seems okay with clear improvements and the landscape is better :D :but in TE air bases are not oriented correctly (all oriented in the same way as in previous version) and above all airfields are NOT LEVELED CORRECTLY ! This is a significant deterioration compared to v0.4 :(

anyway thanks for the new version, it means that I'll enjoy in campaign mode that is the most important in a theater

----used falcon4 AF----
bye and thank you

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Post by RingoSurf » 2010-07-27 22:49:32

sorry but without running the TE is lost strategic importance of Nevada Theater: TRAINING MISSIONS
air bases are literally unusable, are not leveled! what a pity!
this is my opinion
I think back to version 0.4

Cornbread

Post by Cornbread » 2010-07-31 02:00:07

RingoSurf wrote:sorry but without running the TE is lost strategic importance of Nevada Theater: TRAINING MISSIONS
air bases are literally unusable, are not leveled! what a pity!
this is my opinion
I think back to version 0.4
Is this true for anyone else? Because I was just going to download this for TE's. Won't bother if this is a known issue.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-31 02:59:11

I'll check it out and if TE is with old objectives, I'll release a bug fix. Stay tuned ... (and remind me if you don't hear from me back in next 24hrs).

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-31 03:51:08

Okay found the bug and fixed it, thanks for reporting.

Download PMC_Nevada_v0.5.1_hotfix.rar - 82kb.

Install instructions: unrar, then place te_new.tac file into your Theaters\Nevada\campaign\redflag1 dir, also copy it to the other redflag2-4 dirs. Done.

Please come back and post a screenshot of your nice TE mission, I'd very much like to see Nevada in action. Enjoy! :)

PMC since 1984

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Post by RingoSurf » 2010-07-31 22:20:18

although I forgot to take a screenshot this time TE is perfect, NEVADA THEATER is perfect !
thanks for your work and passion that you have dedicated to this important scenario

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Post by RingoSurf » 2010-08-02 20:07:15

just taken off from Nellis AB

TE: training mission
takeoff: Nellis AB
landing: L.A. intl
ATC......................OK
tacan channels..........OK
airfields orientation... OK

great theater !

Cornbread

Post by Cornbread » 2010-09-12 03:59:06

Do any of the campaigns have a squadron of F-15E's?

Can't seem to locate any but it does look like they are available for TE's.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2010-09-12 16:17:59

Cornbread wrote:Do any of the campaigns have a squadron of F-15E's?

Learn to use TacEdit and put your own squadron in where you like it! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Post by RingoSurf » 2010-09-16 09:37:33

TACAN channel reported incorrectly by awacs:
AWACS do not provide correct information about the tacan chanels of tankers:
AWACS told me the channel 56Y instead of 125Y

Cornbread

Post by Cornbread » 2010-09-16 16:09:03

Sherlock wrote:
Cornbread wrote:Do any of the campaigns have a squadron of F-15E's?

Learn to use TacEdit and put your own squadron in where you like it! :)

So I take this to mean no, there aren't any F-15E squadrons.

Harbinger82
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by Harbinger82 » 2010-09-23 16:45:12

Hi Guys wish I had something good to report about v0.5 Nevada. On a more positive note the poop 512 res tiles are an improvement turning it in to poop with more definition lol, No really good job but here is the bug list Aircraft flown in the shake down in v0.4 to v0.5: We tried putting the aircraft at the appropriate airbase F-16, F-15 and F-22 at Nellis F-16 Agressor at Fallon NAS , Edwards AFB, Holloman AFB Squadrons found in reality at these bases. with building training missions and well just good fun besides, the campaign flying. The airbase at area 51 Tonopah Bomb Range and other airbases that are in the major hub of Red Flag Operation. I live 20 miles from Nellis and on the glide path for McCarran International Airport. I am also retired military.
The bug list as noted in the read me plus:
Airbases disjointed or elevated about terrain
Aircraft exploding on taxi thru the untiled area of Taxiway.
Aircraft hovering or bouncing when spawning in the game.
These are a few to start.
In F4AF this and the Georgia Theater unite so many sims if you want have a unified battlefront for example: FSX is a global game and F4AF is limited by the fine theaters you produce. The guys that fly FSX fly from Edwards. This allows us in F4AF to Mirror what they do in FSX. The same holds true for Lock On FC2/Black Shark integrated battlespace(Georgia). Therefore we can have a unified battlefront for 5 different sims all using as similar map or theater of ops so that each sim or theater commander build a mission group. When you can put this CiC type seamless as possible hand off to another sim for mission completion or generation, gentlemen it is a beautiful thing.
If you give me a list of what to look for besides the above obvious and I will diligently report them. Nevada Red Flag is ambitious and well darn fun. I look forward to a fully complete version.

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2011-06-14 14:24:32

After a very long and extremely frustrating estate battle, move, job search and it seems 3000 other RL issues I am finally back in pocket and almost ready to resume work on Nevada tiles. I am still waiting to receive all of my belongings. then the fun begins!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2011-06-14 16:07:19

Great, stop by at IRC for a chat when you are ready to go.

PMC since 1984

Iceburg
Recruit

Post by Iceburg » 2011-06-15 00:40:52

Ok SnakeMan will do that soon.

611-eagle
2nd Lt

Post by 611-eagle » 2011-11-18 21:40:42

Aircraft exploding on taxi thru the untiled area of Taxiway.
How did you solve this problem???
LEGEND's NEVER DIE
Intel Core2 QUAD Processor, 2 GB 4850x2, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Ultimate and XP Professional Both