New ODS 11_29 Arable Land Tiles

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

New ODS 11_29 Arable Land Tiles

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-04 23:21:07

Ok,
Having never done this before I thought I would put up the first image I have finished for critique. What I did was take the standard 11_29 airbase tile set, choose one (in this case it was HBASE3D0.pcx), convert it from 128x128 pixels to 512x512 pixels, and then start copying over it the most realistic interior airbase texture (from existing ODS tile HBASE401) and then the exterior airbase arable land texture from ODS tile HARAB20A). I then went back and found a lighter color for the airbase perimeter road to offset the airbase from the arable land around it a little bit. I did add some green to the interior airbase texture because this is arable land and grass should grow pretty easily I would think (thus adding some green on the airbase interior).

I am definitely open to suggestions on how to make better looking tiles should anyone have some suggestions.

Here is what I ended up with:

Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-05 00:39:55

That looks pretty good to me. How long time did you take to create this one tile? Ie is it long process to do whole one base which is what... six or so tiles?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-05 00:54:28

Snake Man wrote:That looks pretty good to me. How long time did you take to create this one tile? Ie is it long process to do whole one base which is what... six or so tiles?
Took me about an hour but I've not done these before so I am expecting it to speed up some. Yes, most airbases have six tiles. Some have eight or nine tiles.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-05 02:53:43

This is the document I used to figure out which original Korean airbase tiles go with a particular 3D model. Each 3D airbase model has a particular heading/orientation and this fine document by Red Dog clearly lays these out.

I also use a free program called XnView (V1.90.2) to view the extracted texture.zip files and quickly and easily locate the tile I am looking for. You can download XnView here.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-05 05:59:34

Yes I actually had that PDF file already, I think we need to combine one massive tutorial page from that PDF and my CATE airbase tutorial. But what does that xnview do, does it lay the pcx images into specific order so you can view the airbase as whole?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-05 06:21:39

Snake Man wrote:Yes I actually had that PDF file already, I think we need to combine one massive tutorial page from that PDF and my CATE airbase tutorial. But what does that xnview do, does it lay the pcx images into specific order so you can view the airbase as whole?
No, not exactly. You can sort the files in certain ways and because the filenames are in alphabetical order (and the sets of airbase tiles are usually named consequtively) the airbase tile groups are usually together; one right after another for an entire airbase but not in the arrangement you would see them on the theater terrain. Just normal directory type viewing.

The big advantage that I use XnView for is because Windows can't natively show pcx file images in a directory listing. So I use XnView instead for this. You can actually see what the image looks like along with a lot of different little handy thngs you can do with the image or get info about the image on.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”