Desert Storm

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Desert Storm

Post by Guest » 2000-08-01 19:55:00

This is very exciting for me, because Gulf War was the major conflict in our/my? generation and I personally think that it was needed, it was required, and it was absolutely justified to kick Iraqi to hell out of Kuwait.

I'm always looking for some material on the Desert Storm, videos, photos, etc. Anyone know if there is any good documentaries on DVD (vhs will do also) and if there is single one full documentary from start to beginning I'd like to hear about it.

I cant wait to start flying the Iraq airspace when there is enough textures tiled :)

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Re: Desert Storm

Post by Guest » 2000-08-01 22:13:00

Hi Snake...Here you´ll find a lot of outstanding info about the matter:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/desert_storm.htm

http://www.fas.org/man/gao/nsiad97134/index.html

Enjoy it :-)

Parsifal

Post by Guest » 2000-08-12 12:37:00

In screenshots you'll find this large Desert Storm map, its the largest what Falcon 4 engine can handle (256 x 256 segments).

I have not started tiling, so its totally open which map to use; default 64 x 64, twice that 128 x 128 or the huge map from which the screenshot was taken.

Will be probably go for 128 x 128.. but I'd like to hear your comments on this too.

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-15 02:46:00

I'd love to see this add-on made/completed!!
How far along are you guys? Any time-frame on completion? I was generated to be station over at the Turkey AFB in March 91 for the DS Oper. but never went anywhere past this!!! Talk about frustraton! ;)
Anyway - please post when you think this *hopefully* much anticipated add-on will be ready!!!

Sean

Post by Guest » 2000-08-15 18:32:00

> Anyway - please post when you think this
> *hopefully* much anticipated add-on will be
> ready!!!

Well how should I put this... there is plan to release the "official" addon v1.0 I guess on January 17th, 2001 which is 10th anniversary of the Gulf War. We will however release betas before that.

What has been done? Only lot of research, the basic map and TE maps. No tiling. No missions. This is because I'm still wondering if I should go for the larger maps.

What does that mean, when can we have first beta? Well I can have you first beta for tomorrow if you *really* want it, but hehe its gonna suck so much you'll hate it :)

Even tho Vietnam addon is way ahead of Desert Storm at the moment, I still love the the latter, I will do everything in my power to make this the greatest Desert Storm terrain there is.

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-15 23:11:00

Don't know if I can help, but I do have a few scanned pictures I took during Deasert Shield/Storm. Most are from the Log Base Alpha region near Asaria, a small 2-building town along MSR Dodge 20 clicks from the Iraq

Post by Guest » 2000-08-15 23:14:00

...sorry, fat fingers...that's 20 K's from the Iraq border. Spent 7 1/2 months there ending in Kuwait City Airport behind 3/3 Marine. I was 411 MP Co. 720 MP Bn 89 MP Bde at the time...thankfully retired now. Gimme an address and the photos are yours free.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-16 01:13:00

Now this is amazing, when I first started to do this Falcon addon... I never even imagined that guys who have "been there" come here and offer some insights. This is so cool.

Yes I'm definitely interested of the photos, please send them to nospam - Thank you.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 21:44:00

Its a great idea snakman. during the gulf war i was a little kid something like i don't know 7 years old. i only reamember the missiles attack over my country and the running and the wearing of the gas masks. sorry about my english guys. but still i can't forget one picture wich i saw in the paper after the war ended it was a picture of deads iraqs soldires. i'm sorry to said that i fellt good with that after all they were soldiers who died for there country an honor thing to do. i guess this is what war means oh by the i'm trying to build this area to with lots of help by Snakman.
cheers :)

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 12:50:00

Hi Death_119

Where are you from? Maybe our addon (if we get the large map working with TE's) can feature your country as well. Would be fun to you fly over your own city etc.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 13:11:00

Hello snakman i'm from Israel don't worry i building my country by my self you don't have to do that. first photos from west of Cyprus have already been published and agine thanks for helping me to creat the Dem 10X10 map too bad that your commands are only for linux after all you don't need ./ in windows perl i guess. have a nice day
cheers :)

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 14:03:00

I mean if that huge 256 x 256 segment map is selected to our Operation Desert Storm terrain, then your Israel region is included at that size :)

We have one problem, the Tactical Engagement missions dont work with that large (4096 x 4096 resolution Tacedit) terrain. I'm currently working to solve this problem with Julian Onions.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 16:18:00

ok i sure that the two of you will be able solve that.
if you can check my photos in the flowoing site and tell me what do you think need to be change. sorry about the language after all its written in hebrew. the area is the south west of Cyprus.
http://www.geocities.com/death_119_il/2.htm

Post by Guest » 2000-10-17 01:30:00

This is really great! I am very much looking forward to adding on this new theater!

Post by Guest » 2000-10-31 19:14:00

Update for PMC TFW Operation Desert Storm.

Here is the situation. My first plan was to create at least 20 by 20 degree map (128 x 128 segments) for our theater, but as the TE and Campaign map issue is not yet solved, all work is on halt.

Umm, nothing is done???

No. Lot is done. Some of you might have seen me working hard on F4ME (T-Bone's Mid East theater) lately. I've coordinated the tiling and done quite few segments myself. Also I renamed tiles, created texture.bin with M, L, T tiles and fartiles.pal file.

So lot of work has been done for "desert theater" even its not my own. I'm still waiting for the TE/Campaign map issue to be solved, so we can start working on the first larger theater for Falcon.

Umm, when can we fly desert terrain???

I'd say ... umm I dont actually know, but it will probably be the T-Bone's F4ME Mid East theater focusing on Iran. Dont worry, I'm working my ass off for Deser Theater right now and if it would be up to me, there would be first beta out already. But thats not up to me, F4ME boss is T-Bone and hes running the show.

Anyway, anybody interested helping, please email me or join directly to:
http://www.egroups.com/group/F4ME

Desert Theater is coming, you can count on it!

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-11-01 08:17:00

I'm depressed: flying a futuristic campaign in Iran will not be the same for me as an historical Desert Storm!
Is your halt a temporary one or there are no chanches for the project to be resumed?
Anyway, congratulations for the SUPER work you're doing for the Vietnam theatre!

Tex

Post by Guest » 2000-11-01 11:14:00

Make no mistake gentlemen, I'm gonna make 100% historic Operation Desert Storm theater, preferably with larger theater size.

What I meant to say in the previous post, if someone is wondering "whussup" with our theater addon... its kind of coming, work is done everyday. I'm waiting for the larger map issue to solved, then we can actually do our own theater.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-11-04 15:09:00

Hello Snak-Man you and T-Bone are going to creat the Desert Storm campaign.so i guess i will have to creat the Lebanon and the Yum-Kippur war for my theater.
Good Luck with your theater to you and to all the Falcon4 Theater building community.
Death_119

Post by Guest » 2000-12-01 11:54:00

Another update for you guys, dont worry I have not forgotten about you :)

F4ME Mid East theater is coming up fast. Still no good news for larger TE/Campaign map issue unfortunately.

I've come to that conclusion that it is absolutely necessary to get at least 20 by 20 degree map to include the WHOLE Iraq, most of Saudi Arabia and Turkey. I've posted another screenshot for this larger terrain, its the mentioned 20 by 20 degree (128 x 128 segment) map. you can see it from:
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/screensho ... ample1.jpg

We have few choices here.
1) Just start to tile the terrain with the risk of not getting TE/Campaign working.
2) Wait until TE/Campaign is working beyond 1024x1024 resolution and then start.
3) Start to do some gay 10 by 10 degree map where we cannot get whole Iraq.

The only good point in the small map is that it would build up very fast from ground up to a first beta release. But... who wants to cut corners here and have half-decent product in our Iraqi bombing hands?

Hmm thoughts, comments, anything... just post.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-12-01 13:29:00

(3).

Theater cover the major historical operation will do, unless all you want operations from Turkey bases.
my 2c, most hot missions come from Saudi bases?

Post by Guest » 2000-12-01 22:51:00

i'm looking for good satellites pic's or any other kind of maps of the middle east. espacially egypt syria and jordan can any one help me.

Post by Guest » 2000-12-02 13:52:00

I remember a guy named cyclic from the united arab emirites, don't know if he's still around. He can help you, he might be a Delphi or combatsim i can't remember which.

Post by Guest » 2000-12-02 16:35:00

i think he posted on combatsim board.
go search there.

Post by Guest » 2000-12-13 02:11:00

I say that you work on the campaign issues first. I feel the campaign is much more important than the theatre. Let's get a high quality campaign up and running and then work on the environmnet.

Post by Guest » 2000-12-14 19:45:00

Well I think the terrain is important, its kind of lame to fly bombing run on ground troops that sit in the middle of nowhere in featureless terrain.

But of course, like in Vietnam Theater beta releases, there is campaign running even the terrain is not even 50% tiled yet.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-12-24 18:54:00

Want to let you guys know being a desert shield/storm vet i thank you for this honor i've seen F-16's first hand in the middle of nowhere close to the iraqy border I was with the 101st if anyone with this division knows what we saw than they will tell you about MSR tenn thanx again looking forward to hammering saddam himself with a gbu-24 myself

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-03-08 11:55:21

Heres the order of battle, quite interesting.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... rm-air.htm

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”