THR File - Radar Picture

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Phoenix711
Captain

THR File - Radar Picture

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-06-06 10:44:59

Please anyone confirm...

I have a feeling that the THR file info is used on the ground radar screen, drawing the paths / lines for roads / rivers.

If it is so, the "no rivers" option of the THR Creator would be a bad idea for spotting bridges easily on the radar, or give instructions to your wingmans (not AI, online Human) over the radar like "Left of the river turning point" etc.

Confirm?

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: THR File - Radar Picture

Post by Sherlock » 2009-06-06 15:33:31

Phoenix711 wrote:Please anyone confirm...

I have a feeling that the THR file info is used on the ground radar screen, drawing the paths / lines for roads / rivers.

If it is so, the "no rivers" option of the THR Creator would be a bad idea for spotting bridges easily on the radar, or give instructions to your wingmans (not AI, online Human) over the radar like "Left of the river turning point" etc.

Confirm?
Dr. Fred "BaldEagle" Balding is probably the only one that I know that can answer this question for sure. I know I don't know the answer.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-06-06 16:00:57

Dr. Fred "BaldEagle" Balding is probably the only one that I know that can answer this question for sure. I know I don't know the answer.
the second way is to try it :wink:
2d and 3d world are very different
for example in AF - in 2d, ACs can take off from unleveled bases
in 3d they will stack in taxiway

in 2d units can cross urban tile bridge/river without bridge geometry (it's for an other post, but I have tried it)
in 3D - they will stack

*.thr file deffinition is very schematic in my opinion - as I can remember BaldEagle said in an other post: "add some river vectors to the tile an it will be recognized as a river" (perhaps he was talking about road vectors)
I translated it this way -" no matter which direction vector has, just it has to be present"
Vectors are connected in HSD screen. So I suppose, they are defined in *.bin and not in *.thr.
But I can be totally wrong.
Sorry for my english.

I can try it this evening.
Luk
Last edited by Luk on 2009-06-06 20:16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-06-06 19:19:49

I am sorry, I am not competent to test it. I can not see any vector paths on F4-AFś A-G radar scope - neither in default Korea and Balkan theaters.
I see only some green noise and some bright spots (targets) on HSD.
in 2d units can cross urban tile bridge/river without bridge geometry (it's for an other post, but I have tried it)
in 3D - they will stack
This was premature note - I am not sure, but I could use non-updated *.thr file during the test. :oops:
Luk

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2009-06-06 19:42:54

Use SHIFT + F3. Hope I remember right. This will decrease the radar gain so you will be able to see things better, after some sweeps.

BTW, I think now the THR cannot be used in the AG radar, because, whatever the road direction is, the THR puts a road info on the complete tile, and no direction etc information exists in the THR file.

So you're possibly right. It is the tile definitions, that are drawed on the AG radar.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”