Falcon4 Terrain Scripts

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Falcon4 Terrain Scripts

Post by Guest » 2000-12-25 18:24:00

Hi, I'm trying to build a map of my homeland, Scotland, but having loads of trouble with the scripts for roads, drainage, etc... Can you help? Coordinates are Long -10.0 Lat 52.0, standard size map, so it's plus ten on those two. Any help greatly appreciated... Many thanks, Malcolm

Re: Falcon4 Terrain Scripts

Post by Guest » 2000-12-25 21:00:00

I've been testing our dem2lf converter for windows (and linux), it works OK. If you want to try using it and send me back some feedback, please email me at nospam so I can send it to you.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-12-26 12:36:00

Man, help him!
Let's get a UK/France theater, or UK/North Sea theater!
So we can place some RAF Tornado ADV/EF2000 there! :)

BTW, just too late to find that damn excellent DEM2L2...Warlord should have done it in the very begining :(

Alright. Once 3D conversion proved successfully, and we complete all new 3d toys of Falkland theater, I'll redo the L2...of course with damn good DEM2L2! LOL.

Post by Guest » 2000-12-26 22:01:00

I managed to get the map of Scotland/North England/Ireland converted ok, I used DEM2LF.PL and it did the actual terrain conversion perfectly. I did this using wperl.exe from the ActivePerl Windows package.

Its since I tried all the other scripts in the TerrainScripts.zip package that won't work for me!

The scripts appear to run, but they only create the file, the files are always Zero k in size, and empty.

I have already stared work tiling the West Islands, as most are empty and void of any features, this isn't a problem, but until I can get some real data regards terrain features, I'm stuck.

Again, any help greatly appreciated!

Post by Guest » 2000-12-27 02:54:00

Any link to pic of your map coverage?
Whats kind of campaign will happen in this theater? Defense the GB from invading Tu bombers/amphibious fleet?
I still much enjoy the scenerios in SSI's Harpoon97..cold war style, hehe 100% interception rate to stop any Tu bombers, and sink 90% of Red navy!!

Post by Guest » 2000-12-27 07:32:00

Hi Malcolm.

Can you post here the exact commnad line you used to create the terrain feature files?

I assume youre talking about TDF files in your last message...

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-12-27 20:32:00

Ok... as asked, following are the command lines I have tried. They are all run from either the Start/Run option, or from within a DOS shell with the same results as noted...

To create the initial map in Win95:

"..\wperl.exe dem2lf.pl -2 mymap.bin scotland"

or in a DOS shell, I would type PERL.EXE to start the interpreter, then...

"dem2lf.pl -2 mymap.bin scotland"

In both cases, this works fine, creates the .L2 and .O2 files, which I can then load into Terrainview and start to tile, etc. As I say, no probs at all with .L2/.O2 files.

With regards to the features data, the .E00 files, I type in Win95:

"..\wperl.exe procppp.pl -range=40 -long=82.0 -lat=-10.0 dnnet.e00 >scot-drain.tdf"

or similar to suit whatever feature I try, substituting "procppp.pl" for "procae.pl" as appropriate. Likewise, I would also try it from a DOS shell making changes to .exe as required.

In EVERY case from within Win95, I would end up with a file with for example the filename "scot-drain.tdf", but the file size is always 0 in length. I realised some of the files are pretty big, so I would leave it alone for ten or so minutes, but it makes no difference. I get the egg-timer/arrow pointer for about 2 seconds, before it changed back to pointer. This tells me wperl.exe is finished.

In DOS, I would get a very fast scrolling load of whatever, but the net effect would always be the same, as per WIn95 efforts. Basically, I'm doing it as per the tutorial on this site, and it's driving me nuts...!

FYI - Intel P3 at 550, 160Mb RAM, Win95 v950b, DirectX 7a.

To ccc - Why Scotland? Scotland is my home, but I'm in exile. Second, I could bomb Ibrox any time I wanted... Last, I'm fed up fighting over the same pieces of territory. Since Falcon3 and "real" landscapes, its always been the same... Mid East, Korea, etc...

The scenario I don't know yet, but I have a fertile mind, so watch this space... :-)

Post by Guest » 2000-12-27 21:14:00

Slight mistake, let me correct command line being used for .e00 files...

"procppp.pl -range=40 -long=82.0 -lat=-10.0 RIVER dnnet.e00 >cot-drain.tdf"

Sorry about that...!

Return to “Terrain / Theater”