Some other things to add

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

MACV_SOG
Recruit

Some other things to add

Post by MACV_SOG » 2005-11-02 12:56:21

I think It's a good idea to add a French army from nam era. It would be cool to kick some French asses ;D

Steel
Recruit

Re: Some other things to add

Post by Steel » 2005-11-03 20:22:51

hmmm...only as VC or NVA.
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-03 20:36:37

I may need to be corrected, but weren't the French only in Vietnam during the mid or early 50s?  I realize some started a new life and stayed in the country, but the military and its support?

Hawkins
Recruit

Post by Hawkins » 2005-11-04 07:10:52

Polish_GI is right, the French fought the so called First Indochina war in 1946-54 IIRC. :)

Here's some links about it:
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~eemoise/viet3.html
http://home.att.net/~r.hodgeman/history1.html
http://www.onwar.com/aced/chrono/c1900s ... na1946.htm
Last edited by Hawkins on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkins
The Footsoldier
Operation Flashpoint team Finlanders

DrStrangelove

Post by DrStrangelove » 2005-11-04 18:25:21

..as seen in the introduction scene of 'We were soldiers' - great movie, but not true to the real events (the air cav didn't counterattack in the end) and the riflesounds aren't very realistic (it appears there's only 1 m16 and 1 ak sound throughout the movie).

Still, a great nam movie though. :)

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-04 19:12:09

..as seen in the introduction scene of 'We were soldiers' - great movie, but not true to the real events (the air cav didn't counterattack in the end) and the riflesounds aren't very realistic (it appears there's only 1 m16 and 1 ak sound throughout the movie).

Still, a great nam movie though.  :)
I wish that the producers of this movie would have incorporated the next part of this battle.  More specifically, the Air Cav battalion that relieves Mel Gibson and his group.  Things got quite interesting on their way to LZ Albany.  More vicious fighting with the other NVA battalions in the area.

FuLLMeTaLJaCKeT

Post by FuLLMeTaLJaCKeT » 2005-12-13 17:44:52

Ok, what I am suggesting is not new things to add, but rather to replace, the M1 Carbine has 15 rounds of .30 cal not 7.62x39, The PPSH has 71/72 rounds of 7.62x25, not 7.62x39... and thats basically it other than a few other minor things. But I still love the mod.

Also, my soldiers don't engage anybody with SMG's, does anybody else have this problem?

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-03-29 00:39:09

Greetings to all involved here.
    It seems a bit ungratefull to point out shortcomings from such a overwhelming MOD.

Just thought SAM Sites would be a savoury addition. The North Korean Peoples Army Mod has a working model in both static and mobile versions.

How about a few small crocs mooching about the rivers and swamps , some mountain tribes men with assorted captured weapons and crossbows?

How about more watercraft too-a few assorted sampans (full of vegitables and animals ect..)
some nva patrolboats would be great too.

A few more viet women as well with various traditional and western clothes , off duty soldiers as well, White mice svn military police- I'm thinking downtown bustle on rnr ?

Maybe some Allied Intel officers for round about bases? ;D
Can Binh Viet Cong! Day la dau Hieu Cau Tham Chet!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-03-29 03:04:23

Just thought SAM Sites would be a savoury addition.
Indeed, we have such a wide range of US planes that some SAM coverage to defeat them would be a nice touch.
The North Korean Peoples Army Mod has a working model in both static and mobile versions.
You mean this from ofp.info right?

For the other stuff, we had some civilians planned and personally I would really love to get that water buffalo ingame. Thanks for posting and keep the good ideas coming.

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-04-14 21:35:26

Hi Snakeman,

The SAM'S were from here;

http://www.ofpd.org/korea.php

I think they are revamping these just now , but ther's some screen shots though...

Keep up the Good work,

SouthSaturnDelta

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

News from the North Korean Mod Site.....

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-05-15 20:17:29

I just soke to Remo - the man with the plan at the North Korean MOD,where the Sam's are being created....

Remo says

Since afghan pack and afghaneveron are finished, the next project on the track is "Flashpoint Korea", it is done at ... hum let's say 60% : vehicles are done for most, pilot and crew has to be finished. The two island have brand new building, it's playable but need some improvement in the Lod, and at the end, some texture of the island based on malden have to be right placed. That  all but it still a lot to do ; )
Thanks for your interest in our work,

Regards

Remo

See for yourself here

http://www.ofpd.org/korea.php

SouthSaturnDelta

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2006-05-18 15:28:35

I would seriously like to see US soldiers with Ponchos. Seeing as there is a friggin Monsoon season and that fact that it rains over there a helluva lot, I'm surprised you didn't do this already. It's half their uniform. :o

The textures would have to be a little glossy so they look wet.

ebud
VTE Dev

Post by ebud » 2006-05-19 21:07:22

it's because the model would be a pain in the ass to animate correctly. Not worth the extra work. Nice idea, but there are a lot of other things that would be nicer to implement.
Last edited by ebud on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

ROK Units....

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-05-23 01:58:13

Could there perhaps be some of these fellas put in ?
These boys done nothing but kick Charlies arse throughout the war, and were the 2nd largest Allied force .
The Koreans also done an exchange with americans , who fought in the widely forgotten 2nd front at the time - North Korea.
The Republic of Korea (ROK) sent three divisions of troops to Vietnam,
beginning in September of 1963, to help the Americans fight against North Vietnam.
The "White Horse," "Blue Dragon," and the "Tiger" divisions totaled 312,853 men over
a twelve year period, forming the second largest army fighting in Vietnam. Similar to
many of the United States soldiers, the only other foreign army to outnumber the ROK
soldiers in the war, the Korean soldiers were not considered heroes upon their return
home after the Vietnam War.

Maybe a few more faces, and a little adjustment to existing models ?

Theres some amazing battles these guys won.They were seriously potent at hand to hand combat, and controled the areas around them.They beat the shit out of the cream of the NVA commando's, and stole all the hidden supplies they came across.
Charlie hated these boys.

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-05-23 02:00:30

I might have a go at making a few myself. :)
It would be a good way of getting into addon making , at the shallow end of things , instead of whinging at ( probably overworked already ) fellas.

There again, you do it best.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2006-06-11 22:17:30

Yeah those ROKs as they were called, certainly were hard. I heard of a story where a US base was getting hit bymortars and they sent the ROKs out to sort it out. Not long after, the mortars stopped and a while after that the ROKs came back carrying the heads of some VC and a mortar tube.

How about making some US guys in short t-shirts without all their kit. Like they were just hanging around in their base. It would only need one or two models.

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-06-11 23:43:56

Yeah man, a few with white t shirts,and pistols guys off duty.
Also some fresh variety of civvies ?
A bit of colour with the clothes maybe, even existing european civvies with viet faces on.

The ROK's were serious mentalists the result of North Korea, Japan and china surrounding you on all fronts.
I've zoned right into them,  they wanted to get at the Vietminh commies way back in the french days but america refused to sanction it at the time. Volunteers to the last man and hand picked to go over, if they weren't deemed up to scrath by their officrs they were sent home.
They didnt have decent kit when they first went, all leftovers from the 50's.Still beat the living shit out of the NVA though.The last foreigners to leave the country before its downfall to refitted and heavily armoured NVA.

More than a few incidents of Vietnam vets getting abuse from protesting civvies after the war -and an ROK slapping seven shades out of the whole group of them. Toughest of the Allies I reckon.
Dont even get me started on their own elite......

I've got a few faces done for em now, but work and other ops are holding it up just now.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2006-06-26 11:50:07

I think you need to create some flat, barron, places on your islands where a mission editor ie, me can make VC NVA and US bases of his own. small camps FBs etc.

MI_Fred
1st Lt

Post by MI_Fred » 2006-06-26 16:07:29

I think you need to create some flat, barron, places on your islands where a mission editor ie, me can make VC NVA and US bases of his own. small camps FBs etc.
What I'd like to know is what prompted this request. Are the bases not good enough or positioned well? I know some lack inspiration and some use the trenches which don't work well for AI wanting to come in and out but they are positioned according to RL maps. That ofcourse combined with the downsized scale sometimes works against itself.

The Bra is riddled with the small 1-4 square open spaces, altho populated by some dry grass and rocks but you wouldn't place any Viet bases there would you. But that's as far as I'd go doing services for the sunday player who can't design a mission according to RL locations. If your asking for places for OP's and LP's then you should pinpoint some locations, I don't want to punch holes in the bush for nothing. The treecover will stay. Not much of a hidden camp without it.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2006-07-01 05:35:54

I take it back I don't know what I was thinking there.

I've had a pretty good look through the East stuff and a few things spring to mind.

I couldn't find any mines. Did you include the CoC mines from the nampack?

The sounds for the VC alert etc seem too quiet.

How about adding the MDX Vietkong? His spelling. It's hard to find but I have a copy if you want to take a look.

MI_Fred
1st Lt

Post by MI_Fred » 2006-07-02 21:56:25

I couldn't find any mines. Did you include the CoC mines from the nampack?
Or did you install the CoC mines as instructed as they are required  ;)
I think the idea is that they are required by the missions supplied and there's no point for integration as they are so widely used. And there are no other mines. Well ok some JOF ones but that's it and they're pretty much the same aren't they. Wish there was bamboo pressure mines/traps etc, now those would certainly be in the mod if they were possible with the engine, but they aren't.

Your absolutely right about the alert sounds, they are quiet if you run them from a trigger etc. But I remember them being audible from the VN speech script. They are used as insults when the gooks hit their enemies. Well, I gotta go get shot.

I got those MDX, DWR GAM and such units from what, March 2002?  ;D Really not up to date units, simple reskins of cwc units aren't they?
Last edited by MI_Fred on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Ragman

Post by Ragman » 2006-07-28 02:13:52

hey fellas might i asked when those new models of vte is coming out???

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”